Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

It really is unfortunate to see eBay flooded with copies of a book clearly purchased only to flip. I suppose given that it's King, it was to be expected to some degree.

I might be one of those DUNE two-books-and-rights sellers...now two books in, I just don't know if I have the interest in the series to stay on the Numbered train always through the five volumes. Unlike the King, my intention was never to flip, but now two books in I do think I kind of jumped in without due consideration of the commitment in a series that never really flipped my switch to begin with.

I was surprised to see that Cisco move so quickly, too, but I'm sure it'll please his fans. I skipped it...that kind of horror-adjacent, Weird fiction just really doesn't do it for me anymore these days.
    I have read the first 3 books of the Dune series. Since then, I have always treated Dune as a standalone.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
      Re: THE LONG WALK: Lord, have I been pining for this book ever since it was revealed. I just reread it last year- after probably 20 or more years since the last reading- and was nervous about it holding up to the very high standards I've always had it at in my mind. It did not disappoint. It's easily the best Bachman Book, and among King's best stories full stop (still amazes me that he wrote this in college). I always dig the Keegan's work, but was/am not entirely convinced they were nailing the general vibe I've had in my head for so long. At least from the few images on the product page. I'm still waiting on mine, but curious to what ya'll think of the illos?
      This is good to hear. I've never read it. In fact, I'm not a Stephen King fan in general. But this one always interested me and I never got around to reading it. I actually picked up a softcover collection of the four Bachman books a couple years back, but still didn't read it. I guess now that I spent all this money on the signed edition, I should get around to it, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

It really is unfortunate to see eBay flooded with copies of a book clearly purchased only to flip. I suppose given that it's King, it was to be expected to some degree.

I might be one of those DUNE two-books-and-rights sellers...now two books in, I just don't know if I have the interest in the series to stay on the Numbered train always through the five volumes. Unlike the King, my intention was never to flip, but now two books in I do think I kind of jumped in without due consideration of the commitment in a series that never really flipped my switch to begin with.

I was surprised to see that Cisco move so quickly, too, but I'm sure it'll please his fans. I skipped it...that kind of horror-adjacent, Weird fiction just really doesn't do it for me anymore these days.
        Ron, to be honest, I've been thinking the same thing with the Dune books. I bought it the first one because it has always been a book I've wanted to read and with Centipede, if you don't get the book out the gate, you're gonna pay heavy on the aftermarket. Now I'm debating if I want to invest this much in the series, especially with the prices rising from all publishers (what happened to $40-$50 limited editions?). I should probably read the first book before deciding though. Maybe I'll love it and would regret selling it.

Comment

That's why I didn't go for the signed Dune. I've always treated Dune as a standalone. I read the original trilogy, didn't work for me, so I've never reread books 2 & 3 or pursued the rest of the series. Said all that to say this, Dune is one of my favorite all time books.

Comment

Well, a signed copy of DUNE MESSIAH has popped up on eBay…for $4500.  I’m hard pressed to think it’ll sell at that price, but let’s see…

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              Well, a signed copy of DUNE MESSIAH has popped up on eBay…for $4500. Â I’m hard pressed to think it’ll sell at that price, but let’s see…
              Yeah, that's really high. It's not worth that unless you have the matching number of Dune, and that's unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Yeah, that's really high. It's not worth that unless you have the matching number of Dune, and that's unlikely.
                I agree that without the first book it'll be hard to command such a high price. Honestly, that's about double the going rate for the signed edition of the first book in the series I think as a general "rule of thumb," the highest priced book in the series is the first. Taking that into consideration along with the fact that there are a lot of Dune fans who believe that the series starts and ends with the first book, this might be a hard sell, especially since there is a lot of room for another buyer to come in with a lower price point. Heck, you can get a matching set of book one and two from Mulliens for two grand less. For the record, I do not begrudge the ebay seller anything and wish them nothing but the best. I just find it an interesting topic to think about and discuss.

Comment

Well, a signed copy of DUNE MESSIAH has popped up on eBay…for $4500.  I’m hard pressed to think it’ll sell at that price, but let’s see…
                  And the listing says that rights are NOT included. lol, good luck with that.
                  The last two sales I can find for signed copies of Dune were in January for about $2400.
                  $4500 for DM with no rights would be kind of stupid on the buyers part.

In the long run, the first three will hold the most value. 4-6 are less loved, though God Emperor does have a solid fan base.
                  Personally, I like how 4-6 shift the story to the Bene Gesserit, but it took me until my second time through the series to appreciate them.

Comment

Jokes on the seller, Jerad has rights follow the books.  He was very clear about that in the runup to the release of Dune.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                      Jokes on the seller, Jerad has rights follow the books. He was very clear about that in the runup to the release of Dune.
                      I wondered about that, but could not remember how these were setup.

Got my shipping notice today!

Comment

I thought about it some more, and it's possible the seller in question is a subscriber, which will likely cause a headache for Jerad.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                          I thought about it some more, and it's possible the seller in question is a subscriber, which will likely cause a headache for Jerad.
                          I'm not 100% sure how Jerad handles the various rights issues across the board, but I can say that I'm a subscriber and when I decided to sell off the first three books of the Elric series (beautiful books, but I just couldn't afford the expense at the time), the rights went with the books. This was also true for when series that started before I was subscriber, like the Lafferty series. I was not able to get my subscriber number for the series because someone held the rights due to buying the previous books (which is the right way to handle it as a new subscriber shouldn't "outrank" the original buyer). I'm sure there are circumstances involving books that aren't necessarily a series that things could be different, say someone wanting to match their number of Blackwater to The Elementals, that might create some more headaches, but I still think that the number should go to the owner of the first title if they want a matching number. I'm fine with giving up my number in those instances.

I'm sure that tracking numbers for all these series must by a huge pain in the neck, though. Especially considering that Centipede seems to have a decent amount of people who buy books to flip (not judging, just an observation). I'm sure that it's expected with big titles like Dune.

The seller has reduced their prices to $3,500. I'm surprised that there's only two others on eBay, both of which are unsigned and going for $700 (auction) and $825 (Buy It Now). Maybe a lot haven't gone out into the wild or the direct buyers of Messiah are collecting the whole set?

Comment

The seller has reduced their prices to $3,500. I'm surprised that there's only two others on eBay, both of which are unsigned and going for $700 (auction) and $825 (Buy It Now). Maybe a lot haven't gone out into the wild or the direct buyers of Messiah are collecting the whole set?
                            You're right, just the one signed copy by itself. I do see two auctions for Dune & Dune Messiah together. One at $5500 and one at $4525.71 out of Canada.

Comment

While I haven't seen anything in the newsletter, I do see a thumbnail for Michael Shea's 'The Mines of Behemoth' up on the CP site, with an anticipated summer date. I really enjoyed Nifft the Lean and I'm really excited to see this coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyM View Post
                                While I haven't seen anything in the newsletter, I do see a thumbnail for Michael Shea's 'The Mines of Behemoth' up on the CP site, with an anticipated summer date. I really enjoyed Nifft the Lean and I'm really excited to see this coming soon.
                                Thanks for the heads up. I hadn’t noticed it on the front page of the site. The cover looks great!

And I just got SUPER excited as GHOST STORY is also listed in the “coming soon” section! Man, I cannot wait for that book!

Comment

Working...
                                X