X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    You’re sitting on a gold mine! if you don’t mind me asking, what is the extent of your Centipede Press collection?

Centipede Press books have really taken off in the last five to seven years. I remember when I first started collecting eleven or so years ago, It wasn’t too hard to find most Centipede Press books, There was always an exception of the really hard to find titles, but a lot could be found reasonably. Not anymore.

I’m still kicking myself for not picking up a copy of THE CADAVER OF GIDEON WYCK when I visited Dark Delicacies in Los Angeles a few years back. I believe it was like $110 or something.

As for the Thompson books, what are the others that you hope Centipede will do?
    I just pulled up my Access book collection database and did a search for "Centipede" and got 120 hits...did another for "Millipede" and got 4...so apparently I have 124 individual titles from the publisher.

As far as the other Thompson titles...boy, I'd have to give that one some thought to give a reasoned reply, but off the top of my head I'd at least include these four: THE GETAWAY, RECOIL, SAVAGE NIGHT, and AFTER DARK, MY SWEET...that fifth selection would be a tough one, as there's still close to a half-dozen good ones to go.

My main Centipede regrets are passing on all the David Goodis crime titles and, later, on the first four Library of Weird Fiction volumes (Poe, Hodgson, Lovecraft, and...Blackwood?) at $100 total for the four-volume set (friend selling them, who just didn't want them).
    Last edited by RonClinton; Yesterday, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    You’re sitting on a gold mine! if you don’t mind me asking, what is the extent of your Centipede Press collection?

Centipede Press books have really taken off in the last five to seven years. I remember when I first started collecting eleven or so years ago, It wasn’t too hard to find most Centipede Press books, There was always an exception of the really hard to find titles, but a lot could be found reasonably. Not anymore.

I’m still kicking myself for not picking up a copy of THE CADAVER OF GIDEON WYCK when I visited Dark Delicacies in Los Angeles a few years back. I believe it was like $110 or something.

As for the Thompson books, what are the others that you hope Centipede will do?

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I agree with your pass on the Sloane/TULLY trade. TO WALK THE NIGHT/EDGE OF RUNNING WATER is a up on my grail list. Camelot has a copy but for $1500. That’s just a whole lot of money.

CHILD OF RAGE is the one I’m least interested in. I’ve never read Thompson, but from the reviews I’ve read CHILD is “lesser Thompson”. I’m more interested in getting the set of five Thompson books Centipede did before picking CHILD up. THE AUCTIONEER and EVA I’m interested in, but this prices are a little prohibitive.
    Jeez louise, $1500...? I'm a bit stunned by how much resale $$ I have tied up in all these (and others) Centipede editions.

You're right to avoid CHILD OF RAGE in favor of other earlier, classic Thompson. I'm pretty versed in Jim Thompson's body of work, and CHILD OF RAGE is definitely later, lesser Thompson. The five that Centipede did of the other titles are not his necessarily THE five best, but they are certainly among the best. There are a number of other great Thompson titles that I hope Centipede will bring out at some point...easily five more to make a Best Of set.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I agree with your pass on the Sloane/TULLY trade. TO WALK THE NIGHT/EDGE OF RUNNING WATER is a up on my grail list. Camelot has a copy but for $1500. That’s just a whole lot of money.

CHILD OF RAGE is the one I’m least interested in. I’ve never read Thompson, but from the reviews I’ve read CHILD is “lesser Thompson”. I’m more interested in getting the set of five Thompson books Centipede did before picking CHILD up. THE AUCTIONEER and EVA I’m interested in, but this prices are a little prohibitive.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I have Centipede's CHILD OF RAGE, THE OTHER, THE AUCTIONEER, and DELIVER ME FROM EVA, but never did pick up TULLY and certainly regret it. I'd love to have it, but not for $995. I had a trade offer once...TULLY for my copy of Sloane's TO WALK THE NIGHT / EDGE OF RUNNING WATER, but that was a non-starter...love Sloane's books and, honestly, TULLY isn't that rewarding of a read (though admittedly it's been a while since I read it).

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Two more scarce titles put up: DELIVER ME FROM EVA ($995) and CHILD OF RAGE ($395). Wish I had a bunch of extra money just laying around.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    So Camelot put some rare Centipede titles up today. THE OTHER and THE SEARCH FOR JOSEPH TULLY for $995 each and THE AUCTIONEER for $750. TULLY already sold, which doesn’t surprise me considering how rarely it goes up for sale, at least from what I’ve seen. Camelot’s price for THE OTHER makes me feel good about my recent purchase of a copy for $225.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by fanatic View Post

I think it's a great looking book especially for the price!
    I agree. I like the stamping on the cover.

Leave a comment:

• fanatic
    replied

I did. It checks all kinds of boxes for me: John Carpenter connection? Check. Alan Dean Foster? Check. Usual Centipede Press quality? Check.

I have no idea when I'm going to get around to reading it, though...
    I think it's a great looking book especially for the price!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I did pre-order a copy of Haffner's The Complete John the Balladeer. I'm a sucker for those Wellman titles. I also have the Nightshade set. One of the best they did, I think.
    I was eye-balling that set as well. I’ve only read one or two of the John the Balladeer stories, but I remember liking them.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

Thanks for the heads up about Haffner. I completely forgot about them. I was eyeing their Frederic Brown books at one point but never got around to picking them up. Looks like the first volume of The Early Kuttner is sold out (and kinda pricey on ABE). I'm going to keep digging around though.
    I did pre-order a copy of Haffner's The Complete John the Balladeer. I'm a sucker for those Wellman titles. I also have the Nightshade set. One of the best they did, I think.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Anyone pick up a copy of Dark Star?
    Yep, and I in fact featured pics of it this morning on Twitter as today’s Showcase Book:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...303565316?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I did. It checks all kinds of boxes for me: John Carpenter connection? Check. Alan Dean Foster? Check. Usual Centipede Press quality? Check.

I have no idea when I'm going to get around to reading it, though...

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Unless it's more the Centipede angle than the Kuttner one, did you pick up the three (thus far) large Kuttner volumes from Haffner Press? Now *those* were worth the $50 (each)!
    Thanks for the heads up about Haffner. I completely forgot about them. I was eyeing their Frederic Brown books at one point but never got around to picking them up. Looks like the first volume of The Early Kuttner is sold out (and kinda pricey on ABE). I'm going to keep digging around though.

Leave a comment:

• fanatic
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X