X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Saw your Goodis pics on Twitter. Man, they are some good looking books! Heck of an addition to the collection. My book envy is strong.

I’ve got a couple of new Centipede additions on the way. Nothing as cool as yours, but I’ll post photos when they arrive.
    Thanks — and, fantastic, can’t wait to see your new arrivals!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Saw your Goodis pics on Twitter. Man, they are some good looking books! Heck of an addition to the collection. My book envy is strong.

I’ve got a couple of new Centipede additions on the way. Nothing as cool as yours, but I’ll post photos when they arrive.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, these early crime titles are tough to track down, so I was especially pleased that I was able to grab both Goodis titles (and especially the Goodis titles, as he's one of my favorites) in one fell swoop. Just took the photos earlier today, so they will definitely now be up on Twitter sooner rather than later...probably tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Just picked up both of the David Goodis S/L HCs published in 2007 under the Millipede imprint. Hope to get one or both up on Twitter with pics this week or next.

I'd sure like to get the Steve Fisher volume, I WAKE UP SCREAMING, so if anyone has a copy they're interested in parting with for cash or trade (not these lovely Goodis books, though!), let me know. Last I knew, Camelot had a copy for $1K, but that seems to me to be priced too high by a factor of two...last copy I saw sold, a year or two ago, was around $400.
    Congratulations! Those are not easy books to find. Honestly I can’t remember the last time I saw them for sale online. Fantastic additions!

Good luck with I WAKE UP SCREAMING. That’s another rare one. I agree with your assessment of Camelot’s price. Pretty steep.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Great Finds Ron!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Just picked up both of the David Goodis S/L HCs published in 2007 under the Millipede imprint. Hope to get one or both up on Twitter with pics this week or next.

I'd sure like to get the Steve Fisher volume, I WAKE UP SCREAMING, so if anyone has a copy they're interested in parting with for cash or trade (not these lovely Goodis books, though!), let me know. Last I knew, Camelot had a copy for $1K, but that seems to me to be priced too high by a factor of two...last copy I saw sold, a year or two ago, was around $400.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    The Spear by James Herbert. Grab it fast if you are interested.

http://www.centipedepress.com/horror/spear.html
    By the time I came in from doing yardwork at 1pm EST, the signed copies were gone. That's probably just as well! I read The Spear many years ago, and have the ebook for when I get around to it again.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Never read this one but it sounds like a fun read. Seems like something I should buy but I just can't do it at this time. I hate having spending rules and limits! LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    The Spear by James Herbert. Grab it fast if you are interested.

http://www.centipedepress.com/horror/spear.html

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    I've always had the impression Jerad would be happiest if he could just work on the design and production of books and not have to worry about the business aspect of it, which is why everything on the customer side always has an ad hoc feel to it. I also suspect Dune was the last straw for him in terms of maintaining a "preorder interest" list due to all the delays the book has seen, the ramping up of interest due to the new movie, and the way small press limited edition books have exploded in popularity (and value); he's been getting emails about it for years now.
    I think this is probably true of most people who get into publishing, especially the small press. Most are probably book lovers who got into the business of publishing books and were not business professionals looking for the next big opportunity. And honestly, I don't blame them for enjoying the acquisition and production side more than the business side. The first side sounds like a lot more fun and creative than dealing with everything else that a business entails, including dealing with us, the consumer.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    I've always had the impression Jerad would be happiest if he could just work on the design and production of books and not have to worry about the business aspect of it, which is why everything on the customer side always has an ad hoc feel to it. I also suspect Dune was the last straw for him in terms of maintaining a "preorder interest" list due to all the delays the book has seen, the ramping up of interest due to the new movie, and the way small press limited edition books have exploded in popularity (and value); he's been getting emails about it for years now.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I've never understood Centipede. Rarely, almost never, do I know about a book until it's too late. To be honest though I am not the normal customer either. Often I cannot afford his titles but I sure love looking at the pictures of them.

Centipede is weird, there are multiple levels of "presale lists" which include the newsletter. Often, though not always, links to books in the newsletter aren't available on the main page.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post
    I'm not sure how many subscribers there are total, but someone pointed out in the Centipede Facebook group that the previous title limited to 100 copies (Girl in a Swing) never made it to the general public.
    I imagine that there may have been a presale list for that title, but it probably went VERY quickly.
    I don’t think that’s correct…I seem to remember receiving the public newsletter about it and wavering and debating on the spot whether or not I should order it. The price finally scared me off, but I do recall having the opportunity to buy it and I’m not a subscriber, nor do I remember it being a presale list…just the usual newsletter.
    I was able to purchase this right from the site when it went on sale and I wasn't a subscriber.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Centipede is weird, there are multiple levels of "presale lists" which include the newsletter. Often, though not always, links to books in the newsletter aren't available on the main page.
    I agree, but I do think that Centipede is pretty open with their communication about preorders. I never feel “out of loop”, so to speak.

I actually really appreciate the trend of publishers being open about upcoming books or at least when a book will be announced. Suntup and Centipede are very clear about their plans and so is Thunderstorm if you have access to The Clubhouse. It makes budgeting so much easier.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Safety in numbers, hm? I don’t know if that’s going to be a feasible defense against a $700 blowback…
    Yeah, I don’t think it’ll work either. Back to selling a kidney, I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X