X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I have not—and I’ve never even heard of it before this release— but I’m excited to read this one.Â
    Me too, it sounds bonkers! I think I'm going to pre-order.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Anyone ever read "Hellstone" by Steven Spruil? Thinking of picking this one up and am hoping that someone can push me over the edge. Also, just noticed that SubPress has a pre-order for it available even though Centipede hasn't announced yet.
    I have not—and I’ve never even heard of it before this release— but I’m excited to read this one. 

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Anyone ever read "Hellstone" by Steven Spruil? Thinking of picking this one up and am hoping that someone can push me over the edge. Also, just noticed that SubPress has a pre-order for it available even though Centipede hasn't announced yet.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

That’s one I haven’t read. Kind of surprising that I haven’t, as World War II -set horror always catches my attention.
    It is a good creepy read. A slim volume full of demonic atmosphere.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I haven't read anything from Masterson, but my copy of Hell Candidate arrived today. Who knows when it'll get read but it's there for when that time comes.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    That's a new one to me, too. I'll have to look into that.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I still enjoy Devils of D-Day.
    That’s one I haven’t read. Kind of surprising that I haven’t, as World War II -set horror always catches my attention.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

My experience has been that older Masterton is better Masterton…I’ve tried a couple new’ish ones, and like Simon Clark and Dean Koontz the later stuff just doesn’t hold up to his earlier work.
      I still enjoy Devils of D-Day.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

My experience has been that older Masterton is better Masterton…I’ve tried a couple new’ish ones, and like Simon Clark and Dean Koontz the later stuff just doesn’t hold up to his earlier work.
    My only experience with Masterton, save some smattering of short stories, was A Terrible Beauty, which I found to be a fairly boring procedural that hinged on a plot twist that was very hard to believe. Out of curiosity, I checked out Goodreads to see how it was rated and found that it was the first in an 11 (!) book series. Maybe it was just a rough start or something.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied

Thanks for the recommendation. I just jotted down the name of the book. I went to Amazon to see if they have any sort of hardcover version for sale. Looks like they have 1-very good copy listed at $250; so, it may be a while before I read this as I rarely buy paperbacks anymore and don't buy e-books at all.Â
    E-books are a lifesaver to me...I save a fortune. And a lot of physical space, lol. If I had any idea where it was, I'd send you my old Telos hardcover..alas, it's in one of a few hundred boxes of books in the basement.

If you don't get a chance to read the book, and don't mind getting the story spoiled, there's a VERY trippy 1970s movie starring Tony Curtis and Burgess Meredith that is a lot of batshit-crazy fun.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

AW, you've gotta read THE MANITOU!
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just jotted down the name of the book. I went to Amazon to see if they have any sort of hardcover version for sale. Looks like they have 1-very good copy listed at $250; so, it may be a while before I read this as I rarely buy paperbacks anymore and don't buy e-books at all. 

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I received mine this last Friday.  It’s a pretty nice edition.  I was looking to post some pictures, but it’ll have to wait a few more days.  I’m hoping that I’ll like this one more than my last Masterton read, which was a real stinker.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied

I've actually never ready anything by Masterson. He's one of those authors that I've always meant to get around to reading but just never did. Also didn't help that for the longest time, I confused him with Graham Joyce. Â
    AW, you've gotta read THE MANITOU!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

I received mine this last Friday.  It’s a pretty nice edition.  I was looking to post some pictures, but it’ll have to wait a few more days.  I’m hoping that I’ll like this one more than my last Masterton read, which was a real stinker.
    I've actually never ready anything by Masterson. He's one of those authors that I've always meant to get around to reading but just never did. Also didn't help that for the longest time, I confused him with Graham Joyce.  

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I splurged and pre-ordered a copy of The Hell Candidate yesterday.  This one has been on my radar for a while; so, I'm glad it's shipping soon!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X