Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I went for the Centipede edition today. I figure if I don't like it (unlikely) it should be easy enough to flip it. I've probably said that about many of the books that never leave my house once they show up

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Here is the front and back of the dj and one of the interiors:

https://x.com/ron_clinton/status/100...CUeUjfN8huHsPw
    Okay, so that interior illustration is incredibly creepy! I really like it! If the rest of the interior illustrations are as such, I can see why you'd be content with that edition. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I'm unsure about the art myself on the Centipede edition. Like you, I've only seen what is posted on the product page, but from what I've seen it doesn't blow me away. I'm not familiar with the art in the Hill House edition beyond that on the dustjacket, which I do like. I'm not quite sure why I never previously tracked down a copy of the Hill House edition. Of course, I'm still on board with this new edition.
    Here is the front and back of the dj and one of the interiors:

https://x.com/ron_clinton/status/100...CUeUjfN8huHsPw

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I did end up passing on GHOST STORY, as I kind of thought I would. I might have been tempted at a lesser price, but even with that… from what very little I see of the art in the very nice Centipede edition, just those two images on the offering page, I like the art in my S/L Hill House edition better. Sure, there’s a bit of FOMO going on, but I’m pleased and comfortable with the edition I have.
    I'm unsure about the art myself on the Centipede edition. Like you, I've only seen what is posted on the product page, but from what I've seen it doesn't blow me away. I'm not familiar with the art in the Hill House edition beyond that on the dustjacket, which I do like. I'm not quite sure why I never previously tracked down a copy of the Hill House edition. Of course, I'm still on board with this new edition. I might need to liquidate some other books to make sure this doesn't completely sink my budget, though. This and Children of Dune back-to-back sure hurts the pocketbook.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I did end up passing on GHOST STORY, as I kind of thought I would. I might have been tempted at a lesser price, but even with that… from what very little I see of the art in the very nice Centipede edition, just those two images on the offering page, I like the art in my S/L Hill House edition better. Sure, there’s a bit of FOMO going on, but I’m pleased and comfortable with the edition I have.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 05-05-2024, 04:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I don't disagree that the anticipated price point for Ghost Story is rather steep. It's also one of my favorite books from one of my favorite presses AND it's signed by Straub, so there is no way I could miss out on this. It's not a secret that Centipede does nice books, but their edition of Julia is one of my absolute favorites that I own and I'm hoping I'll be equally as fond of their edition of Ghost Story.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

I've since found a slightly later email from Centipede that reads "$395 to $495", so that earlier $495-plus has been tempered a bit. Still likely not in the budget for me, though, not with the Hill House looking so dapper on the shelf.
    I too have the Hill House S/L, and I'm debating on whether to get this or not. One thing in its favor is that Straub actually signed the sig sheets years ago, and he won't be signing any more. I'm leaning towards buying it...

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

JEE-ZUS! I love GHOST STORY, and I was seriously contemplating this edition, but that is just insane, at least as far as my broke self is concerned. I'm still recovering from the JOHN THE BALLADEER set, that I still haven't received. Guess I'll be sitting this one out!
    I've since found a slightly later email from Centipede that reads "$395 to $495", so that earlier $495-plus has been tempered a bit. Still likely not in the budget for me, though, not with the Hill House looking so dapper on the shelf.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied

I saw that notice and got a little excited. I have the Hill House S/L, which is a nice volume, but FOMO was hitting me hard and I’d thought, Well, I guess I can relax my no-variants rule for such a nice production of a vital horror classic…$295 isn’t horrible for an item of that importance. Then I doublecheck past Centipede emails to get a description of the production values…and I see it’s actually going to be “$495 or more.” Yikes. Not such my FOMO is going to be able to overcome that imposing price when the paid-for Hill House is looking very attractive on my shelf...
    JEE-ZUS! I love GHOST STORY, and I was seriously contemplating this edition, but that is just insane, at least as far as my broke self is concerned. I'm still recovering from the JOHN THE BALLADEER set, that I still haven't received. Guess I'll be sitting this one out!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Looks like Ghost Story is going to be up for sale in the next week or two. I am so excited for this one, along with Shadowland. I'm really hoping that Jerad will continue on and we'll get Floating Dragon. I'd love if someone did new editions of the Blue Rose books. I know that there's some love out there for Koko, but I hardly hear anyone talk about The Throat or Mystery, both I found to be fantastic reads.
    I saw that notice and got a little excited. I have the Hill House S/L, which is a nice volume, but FOMO was hitting me hard and I’d thought, Well, I guess I can relax my no-variants rule for such a nice production of a vital horror classic…$295 isn’t horrible for an item of that importance. Then I doublecheck past Centipede emails to get a description of the production values…and I see it’s actually going to be “$495 or more.” Yikes. Not such my FOMO is going to be able to overcome that imposing price when the paid-for Hill House is looking very attractive on my shelf...

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Looks like Ghost Story is going to be up for sale in the next week or two. I am so excited for this one, along with Shadowland. I'm really hoping that Jerad will continue on and we'll get Floating Dragon. I'd love if someone did new editions of the Blue Rose books. I know that there's some love out there for Koko, but I hardly hear anyone talk about The Throat or Mystery, both I found to be fantastic reads.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Got my shipping notice for Children of Dune today. I love the look of these books, but I'm feeling more and more certain that I'll wind up selling these at some point.
    I felt such a relief when I saw the recent newsletter and was reminded that, since I told my two first volumes with rights, that third volume wouldn't be making its way to me. It was just another confirmation that I did the right thing by selling my first two...vintage epic SF is just so not my thing anymore, if it actually ever was. Glad the books are with someone who will appreciate them far more than I ever could.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Got my shipping notice for Children of Dune today. I love the look of these books, but I'm feeling more and more certain that I'll wind up selling these at some point.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Just got my copy! I cannot express how happy I am to finally have this off of my pending pre-orders list! Can't wait to get home from work to flip through it more closely. Â
    Great News, enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
    I've ordered a couple of older books from Camelot this year and they shipped the next day.
    That's good to know. I'm kind of out of the market for older books at this point...If I don't already own it, I probably don't need it. I'm hoping they get up and running enough to start taking pre-orders again soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X