No announcement yet.

Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really surprised that The Club Dumas has not sold out yet. I was positive that this would be a first day sellout. I'm assuming that the slow sales can be partially attributed to the $350 price point, which is more than I had expected. It does cut out the buyers who were looking for a cheaper alternative to buying the Sub Press edition on the aftermarket, though I'm assuming the Centipede edition will be quite a bit nicer of a presentation due to that price point. Even all that considered, I really thought it would be gone by now.

On a different note, I was really excited to hear that Ghost Story will be signed by Straub. I would have purchased the edition either which way, but as a big Straub fan, I'm happy to be able to get an edition signed by Straub. Has anyone heard rumblings of a deluxe edition? I emailed Jerad when he first announced the title and he said it was a possibility, but I've heard nothing since.

Finally, on the Dune aftermarket front, there has finally been some sales of the signed Dune Messiah. A lot of the ones sold for a while were the unsigned editions, but there was a sale on June 1st of a signed edition for $1250 and a matching numbered set of Dune and Messiah just sold for $4399. I'm still holding on to mine, but these prices coupled with the ongoing pressure of increasing book prices (remember when most limited editions weren't $150+?) makes it tempting to put these up for sale. I'm still debating on if I'm going to keep We Have Always Lived in the Castle when it finally arrives. It's so pricey and I don't know I would have pulled the trigger if I wasn't a subscriber, but I also might fall in love with it once I get it in my hands, so who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      I'm still debating on if I'm going to keep We Have Always Lived in the Castle when it finally arrives. It's so pricey and I don't know I would have pulled the trigger if I wasn't a subscriber, but I also might fall in love with it once I get it in my hands, so who knows?
      'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' is really nice - mine arrived yesterday. While I do wish it had a couple more illustrations than it does (but I could say that about most illustrated editions) - it's very well done - from the paper to the included introduction and afterword.

Comment

I'm really surprised that The Club Dumas has not sold out yet. I was positive that this would be a first day sellout. I'm assuming that the slow sales can be partially attributed to the $350 price point, which is more than I had expected. It does cut out the buyers who were looking for a cheaper alternative to buying the Sub Press edition on the aftermarket, though I'm assuming the Centipede edition will be quite a bit nicer of a presentation due to that price point. Even all that considered, I really thought it would be gone by now.
        I'm one of these people for sure! I really wanted to grab a copy but was hoping it would be around $100-150. When I saw the $350 price-point, I was totally bummed and had to pass. Just too rich for my book buying blood right now. As you mention, I miss when most of the LE books weren't over the 150 range unless Lettered. Now that feels like the new standard. I also think that if a book is in the150 range, they should always include a slipcase (thinking of SubPress when writing that). Makes me so glad for companies like SST, Earthling, Etc. that have somehow managed to keep their prices down to that 60-80 range for most titles.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyM View Post

'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' is really nice - mine arrived yesterday. While I do wish it had a couple more illustrations than it does (but I could say that about most illustrated editions) - it's very well done - from the paper to the included introduction and afterword.
          That's what I'm afraid of. I'm thinking that once I'll see it, I won't let it go, especially with the fact that picking it up again on the aftermarket if I change my mind at a later date would cost me too much money.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I'm one of these people for sure! I really wanted to grab a copy but was hoping it would be around $100-150. When I saw the $350 price-point, I was totally bummed and had to pass. Just too rich for my book buying blood right now. As you mention, I miss when most of the LE books weren't over the 150 range unless Lettered. Now that feels like the new standard. I also think that if a book is in the150 range, they should always include a slipcase (thinking of SubPress when writing that). Makes me so glad for companies like SST, Earthling, Etc. that have somehow managed to keep their prices down to that 60-80 range for most titles.
            Yeah, for some reason I thought that Dumas was going to be like $150. The $350 price point is steep. As to price point increases, on one hand, I really like the increased production levels we've seen on books overall. I think that adds to the value of making the book special besides a signed limitation page. On the other hand, prices are killing me. It shrinks not just how many books I can buy, but how many presses I can buy from. I'm with you in appreciating presses that still put out lower price titles. Sub Press has pretty much priced themselves out for me. I was never a big buyer of their titles as they do a lot of fantasy and science fiction rather than horror and crime (hence why I'm a subscriber to Centipede, I guess), but their prices are at the point that it has to be a book that I absolutely need to have for me to pull the trigger. If I'm on the fence, it probably won't happen.

Comment

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm thinking that once I'll see it, I won't let it go, especially with the fact that picking it up again on the aftermarket if I change my mind at a later date would cost me too much money.
              Jerad said he was doing a smaller version, like with Hill House. You could always wait for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

Jerad said he was doing a smaller version, like with Hill House. You could always wait for that one.
                I keep forgetting about that. I still have the small edition of Hill House, so I could just have those editions for the collection. Hmm...I need to ponder a bit.

Comment

Club Dumas sounded interesting to me, but the price point was too hard to justify at the moment. Which is a bummer - I really wanted one. But alas, not to be.

Comment

Finally, on the Dune aftermarket front, there has finally been some sales of the signed Dune Messiah. A lot of the ones sold for a while were the unsigned editions, but there was a sale on June 1st of a signed edition for $1250 and a matching numbered set of Dune and Messiah just sold for $4399. I'm still holding on to mine, but these prices coupled with the ongoing pressure of increasing book prices (remember when most limited editions weren't $150+?) makes it tempting to put these up for sale. I'm still debating on if I'm going to keep We Have Always Lived in the Castle when it finally arrives. It's so pricey and I don't know I would have pulled the trigger if I wasn't a subscriber, but I also might fall in love with it once I get it in my hands, so who knows?
                    So few signed copies of Dune Messiah have even been listed that I'm wondering if many of them were being held until Children of Dune is released. Then the first trilogy could be sold as a set.
                    I guess we'll know sometime around October.

Comment

If anyone is interested- I have an original large-size HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (unsigned) that I'm looking trade- straight- for a small size of same.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
                        If anyone is interested- I have an original large-size HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (unsigned) that I'm looking trade- straight- for a small size of same.
                        Ron, does it have its slipcase, and is it and the book in Fine condition? I’d certainly be interested in trading with you — but I'm curious, why are you looking at making a lopsided trade like that? Are you just trying to match the two smaller-sized editions, once the smaller of WHALITC is released?
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I'm willing to do that trade as well, in case Ron backs out. It's a strangely lopsided trade, so I am also curious.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Ron, does it have its slipcase, and is it and the book in Fine condition? I’d certainly be interested in trading with you — but I'm curious, why are you looking at making a lopsided trade like that? Are you just trying to match the two smaller-sized editions, once the smaller of WHALITC is released?
                            Ron, no slipcase, but still mint, sealed. I picked it up on his sale page awhile back for a good price. Yes, trading for a small one may be lopsided, but as you guess- I would like a matched set of any further Jackson books, including "Castle"- in the smaller trim size. This is really my main reason- I just prefer the smaller trim size. I had meant to pick one up at $100 when they came out, but one thing after another and they were sold out before I could. Last I checked- I had a hard time finding a mint copy of the smaller edition for under $200. That may be different now, but I ain't even looking because I put the deal here and will stand by it if anyone wants to swap. I'll give you first shot, Ron since you asked first, but if the no slipcase sours it for you then Splync can have the option. I do need a very fine copy of the smaller edition in exchange, no flaws. Let me know.

Comment

Ron, no slipcase, but still mint, sealed. I picked it up on his sale page awhile back for a good price. Yes, trading for a small one may be lopsided, but as you guess- I would like a matched set of any further Jackson books, including "Castle"- in the smaller trim size. This is really my main reason- I just prefer the smaller trim size. I had meant to pick one up at $100 when they came out, but one thing after another and they were sold out before I could. Last I checked- I had a hard time finding a mint copy of the smaller edition for under $200. That may be different now, but I ain't even looking because I put the deal here and will stand by it if anyone wants to swap. I'll give you first shot, Ron since you asked first, but if the no slipcase sours it for you then Splync can have the option. I do need a very fine copy of the smaller edition in exchange, no flaws. Let me know.
                              Ron, yes, I’d enjoy doing the trade with you, and the lack of slipcase is not a concern. I’m not certain I’ll be picking up CASTLE, so matching trim size is also not a concern for me.

I did not read my copy of HOUSE, so it’s as I received it from the publisher and I’d describe it as Fine/Fine, as-new. However, upon thumbing through it for you to ensure I didn’t miss/forget anything, I was surprised to note a very slight impression that affects the first three pages…it’s slight and is not a crease, but is some sort of impression, for lack of a better term…I’ll try to attach a photo. It’s otherwise F/F. If this is acceptable then we can move forward…if not, I understand as it’s not what I would call a pristine copy.
                              Attached Files

Comment

…and now I note two tiny light red dots on the side page block. This all surprises me…one, Centipede’s QC is typically higher than this, and I’m usually better at catching issues of this sort. Must’ve just glanced at it and shelved it. Hate to say it, but I think you might need to take Splync up on his offer, assuming his has no such issues.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X