No announcement yet.

SST Publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just cleaning out my preorder lists and was mildly surprised to see that SST holds more preorders from me than any other press- by far. Surprises me a little because as an old, grizzled collector, UK books have always been... well, uninspiring and inferior- there's no subtle way to put it. Paul Fry is changing that- with a vengeance. Love it.

Comment

I received two new SST books on Monday...I've featured them here:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...176544771?s=20 (BENEATH THE SURFACE)

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...297915907?s=20 (BIRD BOX)
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
        I was just cleaning out my preorder lists and was mildly surprised to see that SST holds more preorders from me than any other press- by far. Surprises me a little because as an old, grizzled collector, UK books have always been... well, uninspiring and inferior- there's no subtle way to put it. Paul Fry is changing that- with a vengeance. Love it.
        My perception of UK books is based on the work of PS. I am not sure if that is fair. I received Horrorstor yesterday and it is very nice. May be a while before I get to reading it.

Comment

Tartarus has been producing lovely books for decades now. However, theirs is a very uniform look, so uninspired isn't an entirely unfair criticism. That said, PS has certainly dominated the landscape in terms of UK limited edition publishers for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
            Tartarus has been producing lovely books for decades now. However, theirs is a very uniform look, so uninspired isn't an entirely unfair criticism. That said, PS has certainly dominated the landscape in terms of UK limited edition publishers for many years.
            I have seen many Tartarus books on the web but have never purchased one.

Comment

I own a lot of Tartarus Titles. I really Them. They have a very scholarly quality to their material. Their books on books are fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                I own a lot of Tartarus Titles. I really Them. They have a very scholarly quality to their material. Their books on books are fantastic.
                I’ve eyed multiple Tartarus books but I’ve never pulled the trigger on any of them. Temptation is now strong…

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                  And... You've rightly pointed out a glaring exception- Tartarus are elegantly wonderful. I wouldn't call them uninspiring at all- they immediately set a beautiful "look" and have stuck with it- it's what defines them and I love it, personally. Really, I was more referring to UK Trade edition publishers in general, with cheap paper and bindings, though they've gotten better. Pre all these small presses popping up, book collectors wanted American editions. PS was one of the first real prominent UK small press, and they're now finally moving out of - to my mind- as what I consider one of the "newer" presses . I'm Just getting old; 54 and have been collecting since 17, chasing down rare Sherlock Holmes pastiche's when I devoured the original 60 stories and needed more. That world was/is vast and eye-opening to a young book novice. Anyway, I like PS just fine. Glad they're there, doing their thing, and even though I love Pete and Co, and have a bunch of their books- they simply still aren't as good (quality) as most of the American small press. Thanks for pointing out Tartarus, though. It needed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I’ve eyed multiple Tartarus books but I’ve never pulled the trigger on any of them. Temptation is now strong…
                    I'm a Tartarus Newbie, relatively. It's never too late! Let me help nudge you then: Their recent Machen reprint- THE HOUSE OF SOULS- is one of the finest books I own. Just gorgeous. And it's like, what? 50 bucks? http://www.tartaruspress.com/machen-...-of-souls.html

Comment

I'm a Tartarus Newbie, relatively. It's never too late! Let me help nudge you then: Their recent Machen reprint- THE HOUSE OF SOULS- is one of the finest books I own. Just gorgeous. And it's like, what? 50 bucks? http://www.tartaruspress.com/machen-...-of-souls.html
                      Their books always look like they have value. They are mostly tales I know nothing about.

Comment

Thinks for the tip! That’s definitely on my radar now. I’ve also been debating on that two volume slipcased Oliver Onions set…

Comment

I like Swan River and Sarob Press. They put out interesting titles.

Comment

Really, I was more referring to UK Trade edition publishers in general, with cheap paper and bindings, though they've gotten better. Pre all these small presses popping up, book collectors wanted American editions.
                            This has not been my experience, but that may be a product of the sorts of books I go after. Everything I've gotten from Gollancz, Orbit, Harper Voyager, and Tor UK has been at least equivalent to US publishers in terms of quality. But, my collecting experience doesn't go back as far so it may be that I'm only seeing the improved situation you mention.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                            I like Swan River and Sarob Press. They put out interesting titles.
                            Irish and French, respectively. They also came to mind when I was trying to think of other UK publishers.

Comment

Let's bring this back to SST by speculating about some future releases: I would expect them to do limiteds of SGJ's My Heart is a Chainsaw, and Grady Hendrix' Final Girls Support Group. Would also expect a matching limited of King and Chizmar's Gwendy's Final Task. Would also like a limited of Koontz' Elsewhere and McCammon's King of Shadows to match the previous volumes. That's all off the top of my head; anything else would be a surprise, right?

Comment

MOON LAKE by Lansdale…I’m in. SST continues on their roll of great announcements!

Comment

Working...
                                X