No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure wish Paul used another -- or a supplemental -- social media platform to distribute the more extensive information and future plans...I do see from this morning the usual email about SEED, but would be interested to hear more about the Heinlein Splync mentions above. Maybe archive each Facebook event on YouTube for a limited time?

As far as SEED, there's a number of issues about this book -- both in some design elements of the book and, more so, that I didn't think a great deal of the story, at least compared to the brilliant BROTHER -- that doesn't prompt me to purchase, so am skipping this one, though it'll leave my copy of BROTHER an orphan.

Btw, I have a signed 1st tpb of SEED that I'll let go for half of the Suntup limited. A quarter...? Okay, a fifth...? A sixth...? ;-) I actually kind of wonder the item might fetch on eBay, given its new prominence via Suntup. Might throw it up for sale this weekend, satisfy my curiosity.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Paul does have a blog & newsletter on the Suntup site directly. Looks like every quarter there is a preview of the upcoming quarters announcements. The Heinlein books that I expect (but Suntup has not officially announced yet) in Dec are hinted at there - here's a link to the Sept announcement: https://suntup.press/news/announceme...december-2020/ - based on the description I'm guessing 'Starship Troopers' and 'Stranger in a Strange Land'

Interestingly, Folio Society just released an edition of 'Stranger in a Strange Land' recently as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I sure wish Paul used another -- or a supplemental -- social media platform to distribute the more extensive information and future plans...I do see from this morning the usual email about SEED, but would be interested to hear more about the Heinlein Splync mentions above.
        Heinlein is the guess for December's release. It'll be a two-book set. The consensus is that it'll be Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land. Nothing's been confirmed and this is all based on the info Paul provided on the Suntup site.

https://suntup.press/news/announceme...december-2020/

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyM View Post
          Paul does have a blog & newsletter on the Suntup site directly. Looks like every quarter there is a preview of the upcoming quarters announcements. The Heinlein books that I expect (but Suntup has not officially announced yet) in Dec are hinted at there - here's a link to the Sept announcement: https://suntup.press/news/announceme...december-2020/ - based on the description I'm guessing 'Starship Troopers' and 'Stranger in a Strange Land'

Interestingly, Folio Society just released an edition of 'Stranger in a Strange Land' recently as well.
          you beat me to it!

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'd still like to see those Facebook events archived on his own site or YouTube, as they're undoubtedly more informative than the short text hints on the blog, but I do get that that's much more my problem than Paul's...if one chooses not to join Facebook, it's not fair to complain about not being able to see things on Facebook.

The STARSHIP TROOPERS and STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND duo (neither of which I've read, but have always wanted/planned to) would certainly be a very enticing combo...I suspect they'll be cost-prohibitive for me, but, again, that's my problem, not Paul's.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Thanks for the link. I'd still like to see those Facebook events archived on his own site or YouTube, as they're undoubtedly more informative than the short text hints on the blog, but I do get that that's much more my problem than Paul's...if one chooses not to join Facebook, it's not fair to complain about not being able to see things on Facebook.

The STARSHIP TROOPERS and STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND duo (neither of which I've read, but have always wanted/planned to) would certainly be a very enticing combo...I suspect they'll be cost-prohibitive for me, but, again, that's my problem, not Paul's.
              I do not do facebook but find that if I search "facebook Suntup" I am able to see his videos. I am not able to comment and thus am not able to win any giveaway but I can see the videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I do not do facebook but find that if I search "facebook Suntup" I am able to see his videos. I am not able to comment and thus am not able to win any giveaway but I can see the videos.
                Very interesting -- thanks, Martin, had no idea that was an option.

Comment

Even though I do have Facebook- I'm using it less and less and seem to be having a hard time keeping up with all the videos, contests, hints, non-book releases (there was a complete set of just bookmarks released?!) and detective-work speculation on upcoming titles from Suntup Press. Having admitted all that- has anyone made a good guess at the January, 350 copy release yet?
                  Last edited by swintek; 11-13-2020, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
                    Even though I do have Facebook- I'm using it less and less and seem to be having a hard time keeping up with all the vidoes, contests, hints, non-book releases (there was a complete set of just bookmarks released?!) and detective-work speculation on upcoming titles from Suntup Press. Having admitted all that- has anyone made a good guess at the January, 350 copy release yet?
                    I have no clue on the January title. I was saddened to miss out on the bookmark set. But not enough to want a facebook page.

Comment

I don't know that we have enough clues for the January title. Simply saying that's it's a popular and well requested book doesn't really offer many hints.

Comment

There's a little debate about Paul's hint at the January release. Paul stated in the FB live event that it'll be a "big book." Some have interpreted that as literal physical size. Others, like me, interpreted it as an important work in great demand (like Blood Meridian or Silence of the Lambs). And Paul did follow up his "big book" statement by saying it was alone one that many have asked for.

Now, it is known that Paul has 3 1000-page books in the pipeline. Months back, he even shared a photo of the page block of one he plans to split into two volumes. So there's some evidence for the physical size argument.

The only 1000 pager I can think up is Imajica and I don't imagine lots of folks have been asking after that one. I love that book, but it's not a huge deal in the collecting world, I don't think.

Anyway, I hope the Heinlein set isn't super expensive. I'm running out of money and time.
                        Last edited by jeffingoff; 11-13-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                          There's a little debate about Paul's hint at the January release. Paul stated in the FB live event that it'll be a "big book." Some have interpreted that as literal physical size. Others, like me, interpreted it as an important work in great demand (like Blood Meridian or Silence of the Lambs). And Paul did follow up his "big book" statement by saying it was alone one that many have asked for.

Now, it is known that Paul has 3 1000-page books in the pipeline. Months back, he even shared a photo of the page block of one he plans to split into two volumes. So there's some evidence for the physical size argument.

The only 1000 pager I can think up is Imajica and I don't imagine lots of folks have been asking after that one. I love that book, but it's not a huge deal in the collecting world, I don't think.

Anyway, I hope the Heinlein set isn't super expensive. I'm running out of money and time.
                          Pretty bummed about the Heinlein set. Hopefully January will turn it around for me.

Comment

In my attempt to get off the fence I took a little time checking out the Seed limited edition last night. I am surprised at how much this book mimics the elements in the limited of The Auctioneer.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              In my attempt to get off the fence I took a little time checking out the Seed limited edition last night. I am surprised at how much this book mimics the elements in the limited of The Auctioneer.
                              Yes, I was surprised about that as well...to my eye, the similarity between the two is fairly pronounced.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Likely not a lot of point in guessing at the moment, but can't hurt either and fun to speculate.

Maybe it's a large format edition, but not necessarily a lot of pages? But the second point about a lot of people requesting it would seem to narrow it down a bit. I'm not on facebook, so I can only go off what I've seen on various forums. A few thoughts:

Cormac McCarthy - 'Blood Meridian' - I'd peg this as the most popular request, but not a particularly long book. It's also not particularly a genre book and doesn't really fit the catalog (but the same is true of 'Bridges of Madison County')
                                Thomas Pynchon - 'Gravity's Rainbow' - not seen a ton of folks asking for this, but a few and would qualify as a 'large' book, Mason/Dixon or Against the Day could also fit here
                                Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - relatively long and a fair bit of folks seem interested
                                Tolkein - Lord of the Rings - might be an obvious choice
                                Aldous Huxley - 'Brave New World'- a lot of people guessed this as Octobers book
                                Anthony Burgess - 'Clockwork Orange' - again, saw this guessed a couple times for October
                                Thomas Harris - 'Silence of the Lambs' - wouldn't be my first guess, but seems to be a popular ask

Going strictly by length - I haven't seen a ton of requests for these, but all have pockets of popularity

Margaret Atwood - Madaddam Trilogy - would be sizeable if put into a single volume, have seen it mentioned occasionally but not a lot
                                Neal Stephenson - a lot of long books here, but well covered by Subterranean
                                David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest
                                Rand - Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                                X