Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I decided last night that I would by one edition and decided to go with the limited. Busy this morning so I did not even look at things until now. Actually shocked that the Gift Edition sold out so quickly. I am comfortable with skipping the Gift Edition of course that may change when I read the story.
    Congrats. The limited looks like it’ll be VERY nice. Out of my range, price-wise. I can only run with one high-end publisher and I’ve settled on Centipede, but I see pics of the Suntup limiteds when the come out and I wish I could swing both.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      Copies of the AGE available at Camelot if anybody is interested. I would have gone through them if the had the book up earlier... Not that I don’t want to support Paul directly, just wasn’t planning on spending another $125 this week.
      And...they’re gone. Biscuits, these went fast.

Comment

And...they’re gone. Biscuits, these went fast.
        Very surprised how fast this sold. Maybe because the number of units was lowered to publish. Wonder if 750 is the average number of sales for age editions during the first week and Paul didn't want to sit on a bunch of extra books ?

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Very surprised how fast this sold. Maybe because the number of units was lowered to publish. Wonder if 750 is the average number of sales for age editions during the first week and Paul didn't want to sit on a bunch of extra books ?
          I think the lower print run did help along with PKD being a pretty popular writer who hasn’t gotten a limited edition as of late, but I also don’t think we can discount the impact of the speculator market on Suntup sales right now. Suntup has been building a reputation of beautiful books that are very hard to obtain. This is driving up the aftermarket value of books and giving more incentive to book flippers.

Speaking only of the AGEs, I just don’t think we’re going to see the high increase in aftermarket prices moving forward. The AGEs were a steal at issue price before (IAL at $75, RED DRAGON at $65 and Fahrenheit 451 at $95 and ROSEMARY and HORNS at $85). These are all reasonable prices and have the ability to increase anywhere from 50% to 100% in aftermarket price without pricing out regular collectors. This creates a solid sales margin for flippers considering eBay and PayPal eat up about 15% of sales in fees.

With the price increase of AGEs to $125, I don’t think we’ll see the large aftermarket increase in price as we have in other volumes. Maybe in the big titles, but not across the board. Especially considering 1984 and THE AUCTIONEER have not yet sold out.

Comment

I think the lower print run did help along with PKD being a pretty popular writer who hasn’t gotten a limited edition as of late, but I also don’t think we can discount the impact of the speculator market on Suntup sales right now. Suntup has been building a reputation of beautiful books that are very hard to obtain. This is driving up the aftermarket value of books and giving more incentive to book flippers.

Speaking only of the AGEs, I just don’t think we’re going to see the high increase in aftermarket prices moving forward. The AGEs were a steal at issue price before (IAL at $75, RED DRAGON at $65 and Fahrenheit 451 at $95 and ROSEMARY and HORNS at $85). These are all reasonable prices and have the ability to increase anywhere from 50% to 100% in aftermarket price without pricing out regular collectors. This creates a solid sales margin for flippers considering eBay and PayPal eat up about 15% of sales in fees.

With the price increase of AGEs to $125, I don’t think we’ll see the large aftermarket increase in price as we have in other volumes. Maybe in the big titles, but not across the board. Especially considering 1984 and THE AUCTIONEER have not yet sold out.
            Very good points. The price is the only reason I have not jumped on The Auctioneer. Sub. Press has done some really great editions of PKD books. The 5 volume short story set is a really nice set. As well as their edition of Nick and The Glimmung.

Comment

I think you're right about the speculators...after the practice not really being an issue for quite some time -- after the small-press horror bust of the '90s -- it seems to be creeping back in, with a particular focus on Suntup.

As far as the price increase, it unfortunately not only dissuades potential flipping (at least in the short term) but my own purchases as well. I had to finally make a decision of Suntup vs. Centipede as I can't afford to play in both sandboxes, and Centipede won. That said, at $65 or $75 I could still dip my toe in Suntup waters from time to time with their AGEs (example: the RED DRAGON AGE), but I can't do that at $125, save for perhaps a critical exception. That said, I certainly understand Paul's need to bring prices up to a standard that nets him an acceptable profit -- as I understand it, he was not able to do so at the previous price point -- so am glad to see his wonderful press well situated in the black with that rapid sellout of the PKD AGE.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I think you're right about the speculators...after the practice not really being an issue for quite some time -- after the small-press horror bust of the '90s -- it seems to be creeping back in, with a particular focus on Suntup.

As far as the price increase, it unfortunately not only dissuades potential flipping (at least in the short term) but my own purchases as well. I had to finally make a decision of Suntup vs. Centipede as I can't afford to play in both sandboxes, and Centipede won. That said, at $65 or $75 I could still dip my toe in Suntup waters from time to time with their AGEs (example: the RED DRAGON AGE), but I can't do that at $125, save for perhaps a critical exception. That said, I certainly understand Paul's need to bring prices up to a standard that nets him an acceptable profit -- as I understand it, he was not able to do so at the previous price point -- so am glad to see his wonderful press well situated in the black with that rapid sellout of the PKD AGE.
                Looks like you and I have had the same internal discussion about Suntup versus Centipede and wound up with the same decision. Suntup will continue to be the rare buy for me.

Comment

I'd actually love to get a Red Dragon AGE for around $125. I missed the boat and the prices I've seen have crept up to ~$200.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                    I'd actually love to get a Red Dragon AGE for around $125. I missed the boat and the prices I've seen have crept up to ~$200.
                    Keep an eye out. Deals are to be had. I saw a recent auction for one that went for $76.

Comment

Just found this auction. You can probably offer $125 and maybe they'll bite since it's not that much of a difference. But note the sellers name is NOBAD (kinda defensive there, what are you hiding?!) and they only have 19 feedback ratings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Dragon-...wAAOSw0I9fd63B

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Just found this auction. You can probably offer $125 and maybe they'll bite since it's not that much of a difference. But note the sellers name is NOBAD (kinda defensive there, what are you hiding?!) and they only have 19 feedback ratings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Dragon-...wAAOSw0I9fd63B
                        ALSO the title says it's still in shrinkwrap but the images show a book clearly not in shrinkwrap.

Comment

I saw that one when it popped up, but the low feedback score kept me away. I know it may be kind of dickish on my part, but when I'm dropping over a hundred bucks on a book, I'm going to stick with established sellers unless I have people I know are cool vouching for them.

Comment

I saw that one when it popped up, but the low feedback score kept me away. I know it may be kind of dickish on my part, but when I'm dropping over a hundred bucks on a book, I'm going to stick with established sellers unless I have people I know are cool vouching for them.
                            Someone on FB selling Red Dragon AGE https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

Comment

Some images from Bud Cook on Let the Right One In:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG_FGJfjTZF/
                              https://www.instagram.com/p/CG_ExgbDv3h/
                              https://www.instagram.com/p/CG_EPD1DOL9/

Comment

The Auctioneer is now visible on my informed delivery!

Comment

Working...
                                X