No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record, I was one of the many unlucky who did not get picked in the LTROI lottery. Now I just need to stop sulking and pull the trigger on the AGE.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGhostface View Post
      As a little tidbit... One of the reasons why I appreciate Suntup doing LTROI is because English-language hardcovers with the proper title are scarce.

When the US publisher released the book in America they thought the title was too long and changed it to ‘Let Me In’. The only English-language hardcover with the full title was the UK edition which has since gone out of print. (You’d think with the success of the film that there’d be demand for a reprint but both publishers told me they have no plans.)

So unless you get lucky you’re looking at expensive prices to get a proper hardcover release for this book. The Suntup AGE is cheaper than the prices on Abesbooks and only slightly more expensive than what the sellers on Amazon have it at.
      I didn't know that the title translation issue was a thing. I know the paperback I picked up was LET ME IN, but I grabbed that after the the english-language remake came out so I figured it was more of a movie tie-in move.

How familiar are you with the LTROI movie? I guess there was an issue with the subtitles on the first DVD release that came from a different translation and was supposedly markedly different than what had played theatrically. The DVD was subsequently re-released with the theatrical subtitles, but I didn't know just how different they are from each other. I've always meant to check it out, but I own the both LTROI and LET ME IN on DVD and don't know if I need a third just for different subtitles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

LOL. No judgment here. Maybe me, you and Martin can start up a support group of some kind!
        LOL. I did see the movie at least.

Comment

For the record, I was one of the many unlucky who did not get picked in the LTROI lottery. Now I just need to stop sulking and pull the trigger on the AGE.
          Same here. Already had the AGE ordered.

Comment

The book made a pretty big splash when it was first released, but I haven't heard much chatter about it in the recent years. It's weird when people talk about something like it's huge news when you've never heard of it, huh? I had this same reaction about Keene's THE RISING. I always hear how big of an impact it made and what a phenomena it was...and I'm over in my corner completely oblivious.
            Well to be fair it was a big thing within certain circles but not much within the general public. Most people only know about it in the US because of the Swedish film which was a big success but even then not a mainstream phenomenon. Lindqvist is big enough that his novels will get translated internationally but they don't get a lot of publicity when they do. (Which is a shame IMO; Little Star for example is one of the best horror novels I've read from the past twenty years.)

How familiar are you with the LTROI movie? I guess there was an issue with the subtitles on the first DVD release that came from a different translation and was supposedly markedly different than what had played theatrically. The DVD was subsequently re-released with the theatrical subtitles, but I didn't know just how different they are from each other. I've always meant to check it out, but I own the both LTROI and LET ME IN on DVD and don't know if I need a third just for different subtitles.
            Yeah there was a whole thing about that. The subtitles were either overtly simplified or in some cases incorrect.

If the subtitles say “English (Theatrical)” (Or you have a UK release) on the back you should be fine.

Here is a comparison of the two. You want yours to match the one on the left.

http://let-the-right-one-in.com/woof...omparison.html
            Last edited by CyberGhostface; 07-23-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Well to be fair it was a big thing within certain circles but not much within the general public. Most people only know about it in the US because of the Swedish film which was a big success but even then not a mainstream phenomenon. Lindqvist is big enough that his novels will get translated internationally but they don't get a lot of publicity when they do. (Which is a shame IMO; Little Star for example is one of the best horror novels I've read from the past twenty years.)

Yeah there was a whole thing about that. The subtitles were either overtly simplified or in some cases incorrect.

If the subtitles say “English (Theatrical)” (Or you have a UK release) on the back you should be fine.

Thanks for the info. I did a quick review and I have the DVD with the non-theatrical subtitles. It looks like I might need to track down a good blu-ray version to upgrade to.

Comment

If you like special features the UK Blu-ray is region free and comes with a bonus commentary track with the director and Lindqvist (in English) not on the US release.

Comment

To be honest I have never seen the movie. The book left me with such an emotional and uncomfortable feeling that I have been afraid to watch it. Again just like with The Girl Next Door. I did however eventually see THat one and it was but in a good way (if that's possible). So eventually I'll probably get around to seeing this one

Comment

Most of the really uncomfortable stuff that’s in the book is not in the film. (The stuff that’s comparable to Jack Ketchum at least.) It’s kind of like going from the book It to the 1990 miniseries.

I’ll put the changes under a spoiler warning just to be safe.

Spoiler!
                    Last edited by CyberGhostface; 07-23-2020, 11:17 PM.

Comment

If you like special features the UK Blu-ray is region free and comes with a bonus commentary track with the director and Lindqvist (in English) not on the US release.
                      You're talking my language! Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to track that bad boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

To be honest I have never seen the movie. The book left me with such an emotional and uncomfortable feeling that I have been afraid to watch it. Again just like with The Girl Next Door. I did however eventually see THat one and it was but in a good way (if that's possible). So eventually I'll probably get around to seeing this one
                        I have read The Girl Next Door but have not seen the movie. I would expect it to be a tough viewing though.

Comment

Not sure if anyone else noticed or not - but in picture of Bud Cook's workspace there's an exhibition catalog with a cover by Phil Hale. I've loved his work since his comic book covers back in '90s and have a framed copy of the print he did for Allen Spiegel Fine Arts back in the day. Interesting coincidence. I hadn't seen this catalog before and it led to discover that Hale did covers for trade versions of several Conrad novels a while back. Would love to see a fine press edition of Conrad with Hale illustrations.

Comment

So I'm kind of OCD in terms of leaving stuff in the original packaging. I'm getting better, I swear!

But anyways, I've never actually opened the packaging on my Merrin's Cross paperweight. I mean I opened the shipping box! But I never took the paperweight out of the smaller white box that contained it... until tonight!

Anyways, inspired by Jeff's videos, I decided to capture the unboxing on film! It's not a very good video, by any means. I'm no Jeffingoff and I'm no Vannah White.

But it felt like a fun thing to film, especially with the Oskar's Cube paperweight still being available to order until Saturday.

https://youtu.be/5wn5ayfFR1s

Hate mail and criticism accepted!

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                              So I'm kind of OCD in terms of leaving stuff in the original packaging. I'm getting better, I swear!

But anyways, I've never actually opened the packaging on my Merrin's Cross paperweight. I mean I opened the shipping box! But I never took the paperweight out of the smaller white box that contained it... until tonight!

Anyways, inspired by Jeff's videos, I decided to capture the unboxing on film! It's not a very good video, by any means. I'm no Jeffingoff and I'm no Vannah White.

But it felt like a fun thing to film, especially with the Oskar's Cube paperweight still being available to order until Saturday.

You did a good job. The lighting really shows off the cube. Making me once again regret passing on this item!

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

I liked your unboxing video. I’ve been on the fence about these paperweights, but your video really shows off how nice they are. Now I’m tempted to pick up the LTROI paperweight. Thanks again for the video!

Comment

Working...
                                X