Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    Did anyone else order the Michael Whelan artwork from Suntup? I figured $125 for a signed Whelan print is pretty good, and I really like that cover.

I'm going to have to console myself with knowing my print is wrapped around a Suntup book.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      I'm going to have to console myself with knowing my print is wrapped around a Suntup book.
      Did I miss an announcement? Is this for the 451 art?
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Did I miss an announcement? Is this for the 451 art?
        It was in the email with the cover reveal. Paul is selling signed prints of the dust jacket art:

https://shop.suntup.press/products/f...eid=01bed3977e

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
          Did anyone else order the Michael Whelan artwork from Suntup? I figured $125 for a signed Whelan print is pretty good, and I really like that cover.
          Had they announced it BEFORE I bought the I Am Legend print, I totally would have! But, alas, now I am poor and sad*... :-(

*Actually, I can't be too sad because the IAL print is still fantastic. But still!
          Last edited by Splync; 03-20-2020, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
            Had they announced it BEFORE I bought the I Am Legend print, I totally would have! But, alas, now I am poor and sad*... :-(

*Actually, I can't be too sad because the IAL print is still fantastic. But still!
            I oddly missed the inclusion in the email...nice that Paul has offered it for sale.

Now I just need to figure out which one I want to get. Ah, who am I kidding, it'll be the IAL print...but that doesn't mean I don't envy those who will pick up the 451 piece.

Comment

I passed on the art print for the same reason I passed on the limited. While I enjoyed the story and fully respect it's place in literary history. It is just not one of my top reads.

Comment

When I purchased to limited of Red Dragon my brain kept tickling me to also order the Artist Edition. I resisted but it kept reminding me that I have regretted not buying the Artist Edition of Misery to go with my Limited. I resisted some more and then Fahrenheit 451 was announced and I decided I would but the Artist Edition. I also keep seeing pictures of the Suntup mug and lusting after it. So when I ordered the Artist edition of Fahrenheit 451 my brain kept saying 'while your here you can just add Red Dragon and that nifty mug'. My brain won this time. Now the point of my rambling, when the mug arrived I learned that Paul puts similar care in shipping his trinkets as he does the book. While not the custom cut phone it was packed with Styrofoam with cutouts to keep the mug secure. Great over-sized mug as well! I now have four books on order from Suntup. Hopefully his next few announcements will be of no interest to me.

Comment

Has some of the shine worn off of Suntup? No mention of today's Facebook Live broadcast from Paul or the teaser video for the next book. I am just a casual Suntup observer myself, although I did order the I Am Legend AGE and the Red Dragon AGE.

The overwhelming consensus seems to be that the next book will be The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson.
                  Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 04-15-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                    Has some of the shine worn off of Suntup? No mention of today's Facebook Live broadcast from Paul or the teaser video for the next book. I am just a casual Suntup observer myself, although I did order the I Am Legend AGE and the Red Dragon AGE.

The overwhelming consensus seems to be that the next book will be The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson.
                    Yeah, that was my guess -- THE LOTTERY. Subsequent replies in the TDT.org thread seem to affirm that guess. Nice to see Jackson get the deluxe treatment (again) and, perhaps more importantly, contemporary attention. Sometimes impactful writers, popular in their day, are forgotten as time wears on, and while Jackson's legacy seems less prone to that problem it's still good to see her important work remembered and honored.

Comment

I wouldn't say the shine has worn of Suntup. More along the lines of dampened by the pandemic. I thought Paul's FB Live chat was really wonderful and pitch-perfect. Especially the way he opened it. Even though it's a little harder to cheer on these wonderful luxuries at a time when people are using words like "essential" and "non-essential," we need to have something to bring us along and warm us. Buying a Suntup is almost an act of defiance. Some of us just need to rekindle their fight.

Any other situation, I think there'd be a lot more noise. So I don't think this is an indication of the enthusiasm surrounding Suntup fading.

I was dreading Paul ramping up production before this apocalypse happened only because I wouldn't be able to get them all. But now it's a little darker of an outlook. I'm worried about getting any. Though I am still fully employed and plan on getting tomorrow's announcement. It'll look fantastic next to Hill House . . .

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                        Yeah, that was my guess -- THE LOTTERY. Subsequent replies in the TDT.org thread seem to affirm that guess. Nice to see Jackson get the deluxe treatment (again) and, perhaps more importantly, contemporary attention. Sometimes impactful writers, popular in their day, are forgotten as time wears on, and while Jackson's legacy seems less prone to that problem it's still good to see her important work remembered and honored.
                        The artwork appears very similar in style to that of Arion Press' edition of The Sundial, also illustrated by Jackson's grandson:

https://www.arionpress.com/store/91-the-sundial

Comment

I wouldn't say the shine has worn of Suntup. More along the lines of dampened by the pandemic.
                          I probably phrased that poorly. The product itself is sure to be spectacular, as always. No doubt you're right about the pandemic lessening everyone's enthusiasm somewhat. I just thought it was odd there hadn't been any posts about it here yet.
                          Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 04-15-2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I probably phrased that poorly. The product itself is sure to be spectacular, as always. No doubt you're right about the pandemic lessening everyone's enthusiasm somewhat. I just thought it was odd there hadn't been any posts about it here yet.
                            Probably will be the jumping off point for me depending on the production. I'm not crazy about F451 but it's shaping up to be a beautiful book.

Comment

I think you phrased it just fine. It does seem awfully quiet when usually there's some speculation and cheer with these releases. It's just tough to muster up that giddiness with these days that stretch and the uncertainty that looms. And especially in this Forum with Martin's post that really touched me (I really do grieve for you, Martin, and all you've been through that I didn't know about). It just doesn't feel like the time, you know? But right now we need the light and life even more than ever. So now is definitely the time to embrace the things that bring the joy. And this place and you folks are joys to me.

I was there the moment Paul went live and I was amazed at the production update for F451. And I am beyond excited for tomorrow. Every book Paul has done has exceeded my expectations once I've held it. So I know that whatever I see tomorrow will only be a fraction of what I will feel.

Happy tomorrows. And the tomorrows after that!

Comment

I think you phrased it just fine. It does seem awfully quiet when usually there's some speculation and cheer with these releases. It's just tough to muster up that giddiness with these days that stretch and the uncertainty that looms. And especially in this Forum with Martin's post that really touched me (I really do grieve for you, Martin, and all you've been through that I didn't know about). It just doesn't feel like the time, you know? But right now we need the light and life even more than ever. So now is definitely the time to embrace the things that bring the joy. And this place and you folks are joys to me.

I was there the moment Paul went live and I was amazed at the production update for F451. And I am beyond excited for tomorrow. Every book Paul has done has exceeded my expectations once I've held it. So I know that whatever I see tomorrow will only be a fraction of what I will feel.

Happy tomorrows. And the tomorrows after that!
                                Jeff,
                                Please do not grieve for me. That is not what I or my wife would want. My post was meant as a genuine thank you for helping me through a tough time. Know that continues.

Now regarding Suntups next offering. If people are correct and it is a Shirley Jackson novel, and I believe they are correct, I will be passing. I have read The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle and while they are fine, I do not need a deluxe edition. I have not read The Lottery or her other short stories have no reservations about passing. If things change and a gift edition is offered I will probably buy it. The teaser video gave me no idea about the title.

Comment

Working...
                                X