No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Poe volume is very large and beautiful, would love a matching Lovecraft volume.

Comment

Looks like today's announcement was "The Amityville Horror" by Jay Anson. Anyone picking this up? Like the artwork and think the new introduction sounds interesting; however, this will be a pass for me.

Comment

Easy pass. While I really like the design of the limited and, especially, the lettered edition, the book, in my opinion, just isn't that well-written. I feel like the real-like claims and the hype around it have given this book far longer legs than if it would have had otherwise.

On a funny side note, I was scrolling through Showtime the other night and they had the Ryan Reynolds remake of The Amityville Horror listed under the documentary section. My wife and I got a little laugh out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
          Easy pass. While I really like the design of the limited and, especially, the lettered edition, the book, in my opinion, just isn't that well-written. I feel like the real-like claims and the hype around it have given this book far longer legs than if it would have had otherwise.
          You know, I just finished reading this myself and couldn't agree more.

The novel itself was pretty bad. The hype has given it a longevity that the text doesn't deserve.

Comment

Pass. I was never a fan of this.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
            Looks like today's announcement was "The Amityville Horror" by Jay Anson. Anyone picking this up? Like the artwork and think the new introduction sounds interesting; however, this will be a pass for me.
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

On a funny side note, I was scrolling through Showtime the other night and they had the Ryan Reynolds remake of The Amityville Horror listed under the documentary section. My wife and I got a little laugh out of it.
              A pass for me too. I haven't read the book since the '80s, but I don't remember it being anything special. The Lettered edition looks amazing, though.

Comment

I picked up the artist edition, but will pass on the rest.  Like some have already said, not a well written story but put together well enough that people (to this day) believe the events really happened.  Amityville is the Blair Witch of haunted houses.  I look forward to studying the artwork up close and reading the introduction.   (The  is not a Canadian accent being typed, not sure why it keeps doing that...A).
                I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

I went for an AE copy. I've never the read the book, but the iconic status of the phenomena and the extra materials intrigued me too much to pass on what will be my first read of the book. I've of course seen the book on used bookstore shelves forever...but am curious, if anyone knows (and I never took the time to thumb through the pb and find out for myself): Is the book a standalone original telling of the tale, or essentially a movie tie-in (definitely hoping the former) -- that is, which came first: the book or the film?
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    I went for an AE copy. I've never the read the book, but the iconic status of the phenomena and the extra materials intrigued me too much to pass on what will be my first read of the book. I've of course seen the book on used bookstore shelves forever...but am curious, if anyone knows (and I never took the time to thumb through the pb and find out for myself): Is the book a standalone original telling of the tale, or essentially a movie tie-in (definitely hoping the former) -- that is, which came first: the book or the film?
                    I actually have never read the book and only saw the movie when I was in high school. If my memory serves me correct the book was originally released as a fiction novel and marketed as a true story a couple of years before the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I actually have never read the book and only saw the movie when I was in high school. If my memory serves me correct the book was originally released as a fiction novel and marketed as a true story a couple of years before the movie.
                      The book definitely came first, in 1977 I believe.  It was marketed from the beginning as a “true” story based on the real life murders of the DeFeo family (entire family except for an infant murdered by the oldest son, Ronald DeFeo). The movie came out in 1979 (??).
                      B

Comment

Good to know, and pleased to hear the book came first so that it, for all intents and purposes, is the original word on the matter — thanks, guys.

Comment

Anyone picking up Psycho today? It looks great, but I'm going to have to pass. Just too many other book purchases lately. Hopefully, I can find a copy up the road at a fair price.

Comment

I want one, but, like you, there have been too many other purchases lately. I wasn't expecting to drop $170 on the Earthling/Thunderstorm announcement and coupling that with the Grant Masters of the Weird Tale, my reserves have taken a serious hit. I need a little time to recover.

I'm sure the limited will look nicer in person, but the pictures just don't do much for me. The lettered, though...man, that looks like it's gonna be beautiful book. The Artist Edition is also nice looking and I like the double-sided dustjacket. Maybe I'll find $155 hiding somewhere...

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm trying to downsize my collection, and given that I already have the signed/numbered/slipcased Gauntlet HC edition (signed by Bloch and Matheson), add'l editions of the same book just don't go along with that downsizing goal. So I'll have to pass...but I don't have to be happy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                As I mentioned in another thread, I'm trying to downsize my collection, and given that I already have the signed/numbered/slipcased Gauntlet HC edition (signed by Bloch and Matheson), add'l editions of the same book just don't go along with that downsizing goal. So I'll have to pass...but I don't have to be happy about it.
                                Well, I know that Gauntlet's books tend to be a little plainer in comparison to Suntup's, but it's kinda hard to beat the signature from Bloch and Matheson. What a nice book to have on the shelf!

Comment

Working...
                                X