No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales seems to have levelled off around 300 copies, so plenty of time for second and third thoughts.

Comment

I wonder if this is signs of the times, price point, or interest in this particular novel. Maybe a combo of all three.

Originally posted by joejets View Post
      Sales seems to have levelled off around 300 copies, so plenty of time for second and third thoughts.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        I wonder if this is signs of the times, price point, or interest in this particular novel. Maybe a combo of all three.

I like the novel, but already have several nice copies. It's a bit too pricey to justify another copy, especially since it'll probably go down a bit on the secondary market. :-/

Plus I just bought the Gormenghast set from Folio, so my wallet hurts...

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

For me, it is a combo of all three. It isn't a book that I must own. It would be more of an impulse buy to finally give somethin by Vonnegut a try. While the price-point isn't as high as other recent Suntup AGEs, I do find it a little high for this title, especially considering the numerous versions already on the market, some of them being quite nice and limited in their own right. Also doesn't help that it looks like a recession may be headed our way which is making me a bit skittish on buying books that I don't consider must-own or especially interesting.

Comment

I was also surprised to see the limitation at 1000 copies, which seemed a bit high for this particular title, given those three reasons listed above. That said, while I can't precisely recall if 1000 AEs is the new standard AE limitation or not, I assume Paul did it for consistency's sake. Were I to hazard a guess, this one might be sticking around for sale a while, but time will tell. For me, I did pass on it, no regrets, but I'm sure those who opted for a copy will be very pleased.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

This was another easy pass. To me, Vonnegut is akin to asparagus: Objectively, I know that it's good and when I have it, I do enjoy it, yet I'm never compelled to proactively seek it out.

Comment

That is a great analogy.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                This was another easy pass. To me, Vonnegut is akin to asparagus: Objectively, I know that it's good and when I have it, I do enjoy it, yet I'm never compelled to
                proactively seek it out.

Comment

This was another easy pass. To me, Vonnegut is akin to asparagus: Objectively, I know that it's good and when I have it, I do enjoy it, yet I'm never compelled to proactively seek it out.
                  You apparently aren't wrapping your asparagus in prosciutto, as should be required by law

I'm not a huge Vonnegut fan, but I do like 'Slaughterhouse-five' quite a bit, and the design and production details are really nice, so I'll look to pick this up.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyM View Post

You apparently aren't wrapping your asparagus in prosciutto, as should be required by law

I'm not, but I'm sure as heck gonna from now on. That sounds amazing!

Comment

Any guesses for the books in today's Suntup newsletter? I'm thinking:

July Book: THE OUTSIDERS by S.E. Hinton
                      August Book: THE BIRD PARADE by Ania Ahlborn
                      September Book: THE STEPFORD WIVES by Ira Levin

If my guesses are correct, I might actually be tempted by some of these.

Comment

Good guesses. None of these interest me at all. So win for both of us.

Comment

My guesses are very close to yours:
                          July: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
                          August: Ania Ahlborn (I do not know her work enough to guess which book.)
                          September: The Stepford Wifes by Ira Levin.

My confidence in July and September is high.

Comment

After reading the clues, I think your guesses for the July and September books are on the money. I think August is a pretty good guess too; however, it gives me a bit of pause as it feels a little weird that they would publish an AGE for Ahlborn at this point when it wasn't an option for the first two books. (I would have killed for an AGE of Brother since there is no other hardcover version of this book and I can't really afford to hop on the Suntup numbered editions bandwagon). In terms of desirability, it's going to boil down to the price of the AGEs this go-round as none of these are must-owns for me.

Comment

Wise guesses, you could be right. If so, I’m probably good to pass on the lot. The Levin book would be of interest, but I have a Fine/Fine 1st HC of that one, and that’s probably sufficient…though we’ll see what extra content, if any, is offered.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

August is The Bird Eater, but I knew what you meant. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X