Thunderstorm Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just received my copy of John Baltisberger's "Abhorrent Existence". This book turned looks fantastic. The cover art is very cool looking, and I really dig the end-sheets and signature sheets. Hope to read this sometime soon!
    I'm trying to be good and reduce blind buys, but that one is VERY tempting. I love me some omnibuses and kaijus!

Comment

Just received my copies of the Splatter Westerns! Super excited to look closer at these once I get home from work. Great way to end a Friday!

Comment

No, I've never seen this poster and am very jealous. You truly have a sweet set-up for your books!
        Thanks, but you have hardbacks LOL!!

Comment

Just saw the August offerings. Only one of them was a must have for me (the Seidlinger book). Will probably pass on the others. The CD Diamond line does sound interesting, but I do wish a different book had been chosen as the first title. I enjoyed The Girl on the Porch, but it already got the LE treatment a while back via SubPress. At double the price, I'm sure the Thunderstorm version will be super nice. I just wish a book that hadn't been done as an LE was chosen as there are lots of good CD paperback options that I would love to see done, especially the CS Humble & Jonathan Janz books that CD recently published. Also a bit bummed to hear the Neon Recluse line is going away. Totally understand as none of them were sellouts, but I read each of the hardcover LE and they were very enjoyable. Was hoping for more additions to the line. Oh well. Glad the Splatter Westerns are continuing as well! 

Comment

Just saw the August offerings. Only one of them was a must have for me (the Seidlinger book). Will probably pass on the others. The CD Diamond line does sound interesting, but I do wish a different book had been chosen as the first title. I enjoyed The Girl on the Porch, but it already got the LE treatment a while back via SubPress. At double the price, I'm sure the Thunderstorm version will be super nice. I just wish a book that hadn't been done as an LE was chosen as there are lots of good CD paperback options that I would love to see done, especially the CS Humble & Jonathan Janz books that CD recently published. Also a bit bummed to hear the Neon Recluse line is going away. Totally understand as none of them were sellouts, but I read each of the hardcover LE and they were very enjoyable. Was hoping for more additions to the line. Oh well. Glad the Splatter Westerns are continuing as well!Â
            I have passed on everything but the previously announced The Girl on the Porch. I agree with your sentiment about wishing that a different book had been chosen considering this one has already had the limited edition treatment and that CD's paperback line looks to have some killer titles in it to choose from. That being said, I picked it up mostly to ensure a complete set. Though I didn't buy them, I'm sorry to hear that the Neon Recluse line is not as successful as one would have hoped. I wonder if a staggered release would have helped. Allow readers to sample Book 1 before Book 2 was announced and so forth. I'm not a paperback collector so I wouldn't have bit on the format either way, but also a $330 investment in a new line was too steep for me to buy into. I did it with the Screaming Cacti line, but making that a regular occurrence is just too much for the old budget to handle. Interestingly enough, now that I know that there won't be a bunch of titles forthcoming, I'm tempted to pick up the three hardcovers. I've been toying with the idea of collecting all of Thunderstorm's "dead" lines (i.e. Nightmare Alley, White Lightning, etc.) mostly for fun as there is no commitment (or worry) to keep up with new titles like, say, if I were wanting to collect all the Black Voltage line (which, by the way, I would love to do, but the money is just not there for that level of undertaking).

Anyways, it winds up being a light month for me, which I'm not too bummed out about. Frankly, I could use a breather. I'm eyeing some titles on the aftermarket, but even then I might just sit the month out and build up the cash reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I have passed on everything but the previously announced The Girl on the Porch. I agree with your sentiment about wishing that a different book had been chosen considering this one has already had the limited edition treatment and that CD's paperback line looks to have some killer titles in it to choose from. That being said, I picked it up mostly to ensure a complete set. Though I didn't buy them, I'm sorry to hear that the Neon Recluse line is not as successful as one would have hoped. I wonder if a staggered release would have helped. Allow readers to sample Book 1 before Book 2 was announced and so forth. I'm not a paperback collector so I wouldn't have bit on the format either way, but also a $330 investment in a new line was too steep for me to buy into. I did it with the Screaming Cacti line, but making that a regular occurrence is just too much for the old budget to handle. Interestingly enough, now that I know that there won't be a bunch of titles forthcoming, I'm tempted to pick up the three hardcovers. I've been toying with the idea of collecting all of Thunderstorm's "dead" lines (i.e. Nightmare Alley, White Lightning, etc.) mostly for fun as there is no commitment (or worry) to keep up with new titles like, say, if I were wanting to collect all the Black Voltage line (which, by the way, I would love to do, but the money is just not there for that level of undertaking).

Anyways, it winds up being a light month for me, which I'm not too bummed out about. Frankly, I could use a breather. I'm eyeing some titles on the aftermarket, but even then I might just sit the month out and build up the cash reserves.
              I'm thinking of picking up The Girl on the Porch for the same reasoning as yourself; however, I may wait a while before doing so, and if it sells out before then, oh well. I think it's a cool idea about collecting the Thunderstorm "Dead Lines". Hadn't thought of it before, but it's a neat idea. I'm somewhat of a newbie to Thunderstorm, only found them a few years back; so, some of those dead lines are very interesting to me. I've asked Paul if he could one day post descriptions of all of the lines on his website as I have no idea what a lot of them indicate but it hasn't happened yet. One day...

Comment

I'm thinking of picking up The Girl on the Porch for the same reasoning as yourself; however, I may wait a while before doing so, and if it sells out before then, oh well. I think it's a cool idea about collecting the Thunderstorm "Dead Lines". Hadn't thought of it before, but it's a neat idea. I'm somewhat of a newbie to Thunderstorm, only found them a few years back; so, some of those dead lines are very interesting to me. I've asked Paul if he could one day post descriptions of all of the lines on his website as I have no idea what a lot of them indicate but it hasn't happened yet. One day...
                What's interesting is that you can see the same DNA in one line versus the other. For example, the initial White Lightning line was clothbound and dustjacket with smaller trim size, which is very similar to what the initial version of Nightmare Alley was, though I believe the White Lightnings were numbered and the Nightmare Alleys were not. The White Lightnings then shift to a white (faux?) leatherbound, jacketless version, similar to some Roman Numeral editions that Thunderstorm did for SINS OF THE FATHER, OPERATION RHINOCEROS HORNBILL, THE DIABOLICAL CONSPIRACY, and DEAD OF NIGHT, but in a smaller trim size. The Nightmare Alleys morphed into a jacketless version that shares some design aesthetics to the Tempest line. While most might find that boring or inconsequential, I find it interesting as to the evolution of the press.

There is also so many different versions of books that Thunderstorm has done that isn't even listed on the website. This includes the Roman Numeral editions of the titles listed above but also Roman Numeral slipcased editions of THE DAMNED HIGHWAY, AFTER THE BURN, QUIET KEEPS TO HIMSELF, THEY, A Hollower trilogy Omnibus, lettered editions of the first few NIghtmare Alley titles, jacketless clothbound unsigned editions of some Elemental titles, and leatherbound lettered editions of the three chapbooks 4 AM, LIKE THUNDER, STRONG STEPS, and lettered editions of Maelstrom titles (though these are more well known, I believe). There probably is a bunch more (and if anybody knows of some please feel free to post as I'm very curious as well), but this is what I've stumbled across and/or owned during my collecting years. Some of these I sold and wish I never had. I have been toying with trying to track down all of these as well, but haven't committed yet, partly because of overlap. If I want to collect all the White Lightnings do I double dip for the Roman Numeral editions of HORNBILL and DIABOLICAL CONSIPRACY? So it stalls me out while I consider my options.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

What's interesting is that you can see the same DNA in one line versus the other. For example, the initial White Lightning line was clothbound and dustjacket with smaller trim size, which is very similar to what the initial version of Nightmare Alley was, though I believe the White Lightnings were numbered and the Nightmare Alleys were not. The White Lightnings then shift to a white (faux?) leatherbound, jacketless version, similar to some Roman Numeral editions that Thunderstorm did for SINS OF THE FATHER, OPERATION RHINOCEROS HORNBILL, THE DIABOLICAL CONSPIRACY, and DEAD OF NIGHT, but in a smaller trim size. The Nightmare Alleys morphed into a jacketless version that shares some design aesthetics to the Tempest line. While most might find that boring or inconsequential, I find it interesting as to the evolution of the press.

There is also so many different versions of books that Thunderstorm has done that isn't even listed on the website. This includes the Roman Numeral editions of the titles listed above but also Roman Numeral slipcased editions of THE DAMNED HIGHWAY, AFTER THE BURN, QUIET KEEPS TO HIMSELF, THEY, A Hollower trilogy Omnibus, lettered editions of the first few NIghtmare Alley titles, jacketless clothbound unsigned editions of some Elemental titles, and leatherbound lettered editions of the three chapbooks 4 AM, LIKE THUNDER, STRONG STEPS, and lettered editions of Maelstrom titles (though these are more well known, I believe). There probably is a bunch more (and if anybody knows of some please feel free to post as I'm very curious as well), but this is what I've stumbled across and/or owned during my collecting years. Some of these I sold and wish I never had. I have been toying with trying to track down all of these as well, but haven't committed yet, partly because of overlap. If I want to collect all the White Lightnings do I double dip for the Roman Numeral editions of HORNBILL and DIABOLICAL CONSIPRACY? So it stalls me out while I consider my options.
                  Wow, this was very informative and helpful. Didn't know some of the unlisted stuff that you mention even existed and may now have to do some searching.

Comment

Wow, this was very informative and helpful. Didn't know some of the unlisted stuff that you mention even existed and may now have to do some searching.
                    Yeah, the problem is that this stuff really isn't listed anywhere. You can find a couple of things on Camelot, but the clothbound Elementals I had not clue about until they popped up on eBay. It's very similar, I think, to early Centipede Press titles where they would have different bindings and whatnot (like Madball, for instance, was bound in blue and red boards) but there isn't anything listed on Centipede's website to let you know about that.

Another line I forgot was the collaboration with Poltergeist Press, I think, called Another Ghost. Produced four titles--Blood and Rain by Glenn Rolfe, Dead Daughters by Tim Meyer, A Place for Sinners by Aaron Dries, and A Penny for Your Thoughts by Robert Ford and Matt Hayward--before everything went wonky with some issues with Poltergeist Press. Very nice books. I think I have pictures of them on my collection thread.

Comment

There was also a lettered Chinese Beetle chapbook. I have a copy. Nothing this month for me. Titles from closed lines I would like best would like most are the Kelli Owen and Ryan c Thomas diablos.

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                        There was also a lettered Chinese Beetle chapbook. I have a copy. Nothing this month for me. Titles from closed lines I would like best would like most are the Kelli Owen and Ryan c Thomas diablos.
                        I forgot about THE CHINESE BEETLE lettered! Thanks for the reminder!

I had the Kelli Owen Diablo at one point and sold it. I wish I hadn’t.

Comment

Just got my shipping notices for "The Worm & His King Saga" as well as "The Body Harvest". Very excited to receive these books. These are also the last of my pending Thunderstorm orders. Always nice to be caught up with publisher's, especially after the DRP fiasco!

Comment

Congrats. That is a good feeling to empty out pending orders.

Just got my shipping notices for "The Worm & His King Saga" as well as "The Body Harvest". Very excited to receive these books. These are also the last of my pending Thunderstorm orders. Always nice to be caught up with publisher's, especially after the DRP fiasco!
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Anyone grab any of the September titles? I snagged the Rolfe & the Hightower books. The others look good, but my wallet will murder me if I buy them all; so, perhaps up the road if they don't sell out...

Comment

Working...
                              X