Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    For anyone interested in trying Keene, I’d suggest GHOUL, DEAD SEA, and the expanded pb edition of TERMINAL; those three are my favorites.

I’m actually more a fan of his non-fiction. In fact, I think that’s where his legacy will persist…taken in sum, it’s a compelling, insightful, and important look at the last two decades of the genre. I’d have to count my collection to be sure, but I believe there’s around ten such volumes.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 07-25-2021, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post

I haven't read either yet, but I'll let you know what I think when I get around to them.

The only Keene I've ever read was End of the Road and The Rising. I enjoyed the former and thought that the latter was alright.
    I've also only read a few Keene novels and like them to varying degrees, but- I find his nonfiction (usually) compelling and much more enjoyable. He's a great raconteur- in the spirit of his hero Hunter S. Thompson. Like his short stories, too. Brian's legit, for sure, and has a lot to say. I just think I prefer the "Gonzo" Non-Fic.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Ah, yes. I forgot about that when taking it into consideration. I do remember the print run on the paperbacks being pretty significant as well. I passed on both, but I’ve been eyeing a set on eBay. Have you read either? Is it worth the buy? I’m much more a fan of San Giovanni than I am of Keene. Though to be fair, I’ve only read THE CAGE by Keene.
    I haven't read either yet, but I'll let you know what I think when I get around to them.

The only Keene I've ever read was End of the Road and The Rising. I enjoyed the former and thought that the latter was alright.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

Ah, yes. I forgot about that when taking it into consideration. I do remember the print run on the paperbacks being pretty significant as well. I passed on both, but I’ve been eyeing a set on eBay. Have you read either? Is it worth the buy? I’m much more a fan of San Giovanni than I am of Keene. Though to be fair, I’ve only read THE CAGE by Keene.
    I haven't read Keene, other than End of the Road. Which I really enjoyed. I just picked up a copy of Ghoul based on a review I read in He Who Types between the Rows: A Decade of Horror Drive-In by Mark Sieber. I highly recommend that book if you haven't read it yet. Lots of interesting suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post

The Keene/SanGiovanni one was also hindered by the fact that it was also sold as a signed paperback set. It was much easier on my wallet, so that was the route I went.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied

I'm hoping for a larger print run, too. That would be a nice win for Jeff and TSB. I was basing my guess on the print run for the Keene/SanGiovanni bundle that was offered with a print run based on orders. I think that one hit about 72 copies. It was more money though, since it was two books.
    The Keene/SanGiovanni one was also hindered by the fact that it was also sold as a signed paperback set. It was much easier on my wallet, so that was the route I went.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I passed on this but really wanted to get in on it and support Jeff. Hope it exceeds 120.
    I'm hoping for a larger print run, too. That would be a nice win for Jeff and TSB. I was basing my guess on the print run for the Keene/SanGiovanni bundle that was offered with a print run based on orders. I think that one hit about 72 copies. It was more money though, since it was two books.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    FOMO got me at the 11th hour and I bought a copy. Very curious to see the limitation!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I passed on this but really wanted to get in on it and support Jeff. Hope it exceeds 120.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Now that the preorder period is over for the first book in the Jeff Strand line, anybody want to make guesses as to the print run? My guess is 78.
    I am curious, I must admit. Hoping (selfishly) for under 100, but I also conversely hope the number is larger to make it a resounding success for Strand and Paul @ Thunderstorm.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Now that the preorder period is over for the first book in the Jeff Strand line, anybody want to make guesses as to the print run? My guess is 78.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up! I’m pretty excited for this series of books. I’ve heard lots of great stuff about Strand. I’m trying to be patient and wait for the first book to come out, but I’ve already been eyeing some of the Strand BV titles on the aftermarket.

Leave a comment:

• CyberGhostface
    replied
    Jeff said this in his newsletter.

The first book in line is Autumn Bleeds Into Winter. It will be followed by (not necessarily in this order) Allison, The Odds, Cyclops Road, the Andrew Mayhem series, and whatever new books I write.

Leave a comment:

• kresby
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I'm a big Jeff Strand fan, but chances are I'll lose my rights to a matching number at some early point. If the goal of this imprint is to reprint his entire backlist -- which it may not be, I don't know, but is seems like reprints *have* to be part of the imprint, given that aggressive release schedule -- in matching HCs, then I'll have to bow out earlier than I'd probably like. I don't have the budget or shelf space for duplicates, so if I already have it a Strand title in S/L HC -- which many of his books tend to be -- then I'll have to bow out for those. I do hope the first few volumes are books that haven't had the deluxe treatment yet, though -- like the first one they chose, AUTUMN BLEEDS... and THE ODDS, ALLISON, etc. -- so I can at least keep my number for a while.
    I believe they do not plan on reprinting all the old stuff that was already done in S/L editions. Def will not be publishing everything.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

You need them…but that might just be me trying to justify my purchase…
    I really want to read more Strand so I am leaning that way. I am waiting to see if my DYI A/C fix works tomorrow. If I can get away without replacing my 24 year old A/C unit I will probably jump in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X