X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Received all of the Neon Recluse hardcovers from Thunderstorm. I quite like them, but I do think that the list price should be a little cheaper than your standard Black Voltage hardcover as, IMO, they are basically the same except that they are not oversized and use neon colored/splattered end-papers. Also, at least for the first three books, they seem a bit shorter as each one clocks in around 170 pages which almost looks novella-ish compared to some of the Black Voltage books that I've recently purchased. That being said, Paul did mention that the primary purpose of the lines was as paperbacks, so perhaps they are meant to be a bit shorter in length. Will be interested to see the next titles announced for the line!
    Thanks for the review on the books. I don't know Thunderstorm's costs and margins and whatnot, but I always assumed the higher price points were partly contributed to the very low print runs. I held off on the buying this line partly due to the timing of the launch. I just paid for a lettered edition from Thunderstorm, plus the Chambers MotWT and Rasnic Tem collections from Centipede, and the new Abercrombie collection from Subterranean. Adding three more books at $110 a pop was just not feasible. I had expected them to sell out though and that has not seemed to happen, so now they've popped back up again on my radar.

If you have the time and inclination, I'd love to see some pictures of the books. Very curious as to what they look like.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Received all of the Neon Recluse hardcovers from Thunderstorm. I quite like them, but I do think that the list price should be a little cheaper than your standard Black Voltage hardcover as, IMO, they are basically the same except that they are not oversized and use neon colored/splattered end-papers. Also, at least for the first three books, they seem a bit shorter as each one clocks in around 170 pages which almost looks novella-ish compared to some of the Black Voltage books that I've recently purchased. That being said, Paul did mention that the primary purpose of the lines was as paperbacks, so perhaps they are meant to be a bit shorter in length. Will be interested to see the next titles announced for the line!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Not sure if anyone is needing/looking for this but Sub Press has a few copies of Dark Kin for sale.

https://subterraneanpress.com/dark-k...t-j4pFj3ck3iyo

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post

Leather version. I actually bought it not knowing which one I didn't find out until I opened it.
    Very nice! I really liked the jacketless leather Elementals. I am not as much a fan of the printed-on-boards version. Just not my cup of tea.

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Congratulations! What version did you wind up getting, the printed-on-boards or leather-bound version?
    Leather version. I actually bought it not knowing which one I didn't find out until I opened it.

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Woohoo! Congrats. That is a satisfying feeling completing a set of books or a collecting goal.

Definitely. I didn't believe it until it was on my shelves.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Finally found The Decieved. It and the neon recluse paperbacks came today. So my elemental set is finally completed!
    Congratulations! What version did you wind up getting, the printed-on-boards or leather-bound version?

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Woohoo! Congrats. That is a satisfying feeling completing a set of books or a collecting goal.

Finally found The Decieved. It and the neon recluse paperbacks came today. So my elemental set is finally completed!

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    Bought the neon recluse paperbacks. I have successfully found Leader of the Banned so I now have the first 11 black voltages. Lights Out will probably be as hard to find as The Decieved.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    So it looks like Demonic will be the last book in Thunderstorm's Jeff Strand-specific Gleefully Macabre line. I tapped out after the third book in the series mostly because I decided that I couldn't continue to commit to previously announced 4+ books a year. Now I'm kinda bummed as I would have held on for two more books to have a complete matching set.

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    Bought the neon recluse paperbacks. I have successfully found Leader of the Banned so I now have the first 11 black voltages. Lights Out will probably be as hard to find as The Decieved.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

I caved and now my wallet is pissed at me. I'm really hoping that I will like this line of books. Have never read this author and can't find too much online; however, I've been a sucker for pretty much all things Thunderstorm, excluding their Hard Rain line which I didn't care for as I don't really enjoy case laminate books. Am trying to tell myself this will be an XMAS present to myself. A book collector's line of justification...
    I don't think the Hard Rain line was that popular at all. I think it was Paul's way of having more affordable versions of titles to get more readers. It's a great idea, but just didn't take off.

I have held fast on not buying the Neon Recluse line. It probably helps that I spent a nice chunk on some other Thunderstorm stuff instead. I'd love to see pictures of the book when it arrives! I'm very curious.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Congrats. I'm sure you will be thrilled with it. Thunderstorm Books are always very nice.

I caved and now my wallet is pissed at me. I'm really hoping that I will like this line of books. Have never read this author and can't find too much online; however, I've been a sucker for pretty much all things Thunderstorm, excluding their Hard Rain line which I didn't care for as I don't really enjoy case laminate books. Am trying to tell myself this will be an XMAS present to myself. A book collector's line of justification...

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Trying hard to be strong and pass on this morning’s announcement. Â I haven’t read the author before and the cover art doesn’t do a lot for me BUT I am always a sucker for a new line of books.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I thought about going the PB way but the story didn't sound like my thing. I'm sure it's great but likely not for me.

Hang tough, Brother.

Trying hard to be strong and pass on this morning’s announcement. Â I haven’t read the author before and the cover art doesn’t do a lot for me BUT I am always a sucker for a new line of books.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X