Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey All, any update on when we might get Lettered Southern Reach?

Comment

Originally posted by RICHARDHALLERAN View Post
      So, been waiting on some books now for like 6+ years without much except blame on the supply chain issues. I personally have thousands of dollars worth of books in limbo with CD that I don't know if I'm ever going to get...how are other companies, many very much smaller, able to get limited edition preorders and sales out within a year while I'm waiting on books from 2016 still from CD...and the the one preorder I did get for the numbered southern reach looked awful. It didn't have the extras in it that were announced at the time of preorder, the slipcase text can't even be read unless you're 3 feet from the book on the shelf because it's so small. Maybe update the "updates" section more often, like everything, not just one or two items. It's been a year since we even got an update on half of the items. But what's another year when we are already so far down the road right?

All that is to ask...any updates? Are you closing down? There's been 13 or so books that have been "heading to the printer" for the better part of two years. Anything?
      We are not closing down! Far from it. We've had a couple big changes the last few years and are just now regaining traction and chipping away at the backlog of Limiteds. If there's any specific product feel free to shoot a message my way, otherwise the product update page is probably the best source for information (it gets updated about once a month with the most current information). We have multiple books currently at the printers and multiple cases too. Not all of our projects have had their statuses change yet, but we're working to catch up on the fairly alarming backlog. Thank you for your patience! And if the wait is just too much, you can certainly request an order cancel and full refund.
      CD Email: [email protected]
      My website: DanFranklinAuthor.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vince View Post
        Hey All, any update on when we might get Lettered Southern Reach?
        Lettered Southern Reach is on deck! Presumably after the current ordered slipcases (3-4 of them are being worked on) come in, SRT should be in the next batch sent. Not as concrete of a timeline as I'd like to give, but hopefully in the first half of 2023. Will intend to update as more info comes along, but feel free to post here or shoot me a message for any updates regarding

Comment

Originally posted by DanFranklin View Post

We are not closing down! Far from it. We've had a couple big changes the last few years and are just now regaining traction and chipping away at the backlog of Limiteds. If there's any specific product feel free to shoot a message my way, otherwise the product update page is probably the best source for information (it gets updated about once a month with the most current information). We have multiple books currently at the printers and multiple cases too. Not all of our projects have had their statuses change yet, but we're working to catch up on the fairly alarming backlog. Thank you for your patience! And if the wait is just too much, you can certainly request an order cancel and full refund.
          Dan, I appreciate your efforts. I must say that in its current state the Production Updates page is not helpful.

Today the page states that it was updated on 11/11/2022. The first paragraph states 'Our main printer is now scheduling into May and June, and one of our other printers is currently booking hardcover delivery dates into NOVEMBER.' Upon first read I would assume books being sent to the printer currently would be published between May 2023 and November 2023. The problem with that is that I believe that statement has been there for many months. Another example is the 'current' update for The Girl Who Builds Monsters'. The November 2022 update is "The trade hardcover of this book was published last September. The signed editions will be printed in 2022.' Static statements like these quickly cause people to tune out as we assume the information is old and outdated.

I would love to be able to use that page to see if there has been movement on a project I am waiting for. If that is the best source for information, then there really is no information. If you are not able to provide any update on a project for over a year, then the customer is left with a feeling that nothing is getting done. My view is that the Production Updates page is doing more harm than good in its current state. I for one no longer bother to check it.

Comment

Any updates on the status of the lettered editions of "Best of CD2" and "Usher's Passing?

Comment

See...that's where the issue is. I was told this by Dan H almost THREE YEARS AGO:

"Night Shift is rolling at the printer now and should ideally be done this summer, assuming production doesn't get shut down. Once Night Shift is here and shipped The Stand will be announced to the general public."

So, I'm thinking production got shut down? And it delayed the book 3 years?! That's not a snafu, or an issue I think would take 3 years. I'm not ignorant to think the pandemic didn't slow production down. I think everyone is taking that into account already and is understanding, but we need more information. Since I've pre-ordered Night Shift I've gotten 12 Suntups...

Give us a REAL update, because yeah it's a backlog, but like Martin said, the updates page is sorely out of date and you guys have not hit a single estimated date in years. Now you tell me that if it's too long of a wait I can request a refund? I want you guys to succeed but you have to imagine how shitty it is to wait on a 2018 forthcoming grab bag in 2022 when THAT isn't even on the updates page. I didn't know forthcoming would be 5+ years! It's just impatience at this point, but also eroded trust. I have so many CD limited and otherwise and now half the emails I get are Chizmar promoting his own stuff that he had no problem getting to a printer. Update your updates page. And please update when we might be expecting things, not just that it's going to be a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Dan, I appreciate your efforts. I must say that in its current state the Production Updates page is not helpful.

Today the page states that it was updated on 11/11/2022. The first paragraph states 'Our main printer is now scheduling into May and June, and one of our other printers is currently booking hardcover delivery dates into NOVEMBER.' Upon first read I would assume books being sent to the printer currently would be published between May 2023 and November 2023. The problem with that is that I believe that statement has been there for many months. Another example is the 'current' update for The Girl Who Builds Monsters'. The November 2022 update is "The trade hardcover of this book was published last September. The signed editions will be printed in 2022.' Static statements like these quickly cause people to tune out as we assume the information is old and outdated.

I would love to be able to use that page to see if there has been movement on a project I am waiting for. If that is the best source for information, then there really is no information. If you are not able to provide any update on a project for over a year, then the customer is left with a feeling that nothing is getting done. My view is that the Production Updates page is doing more harm than good in its current state. I for one no longer bother to check it.
                That is a problem! I will certainly ask the folks in charge of it to clean up older dates/vestigial commentary. There are frequently updated parts of it--those projects actively pushing, things like Caretakers, Interview with the Vampire, the Graveyard Editions, The Stand, a few others--but I do understand the issue when the old statements that were made ages ago have not been updated/clarified and how they can drown out any beneficial content contained. I will contact him and ask him to read item by item and date by date to at least keep it where the information stated is valid, even if many items are frozen in the "ready for printer" stage. Sorry for any confusion, hopefully we can get it in a better and more useable position. In the mean time, please send me any specific issues and I'll try my best (for whatever that's worth) to answer!

Comment

Originally posted by RICHARDHALLERAN View Post

See...that's where the issue is. I was told this by Dan H almost THREE YEARS AGO:

"Night Shift is rolling at the printer now and should ideally be done this summer, assuming production doesn't get shut down. Once Night Shift is here and shipped The Stand will be announced to the general public."

So, I'm thinking production got shut down? And it delayed the book 3 years?! That's not a snafu, or an issue I think would take 3 years. I'm not ignorant to think the pandemic didn't slow production down. I think everyone is taking that into account already and is understanding, but we need more information. Since I've pre-ordered Night Shift I've gotten 12 Suntups...

Give us a REAL update, because yeah it's a backlog, but like Martin said, the updates page is sorely out of date and you guys have not hit a single estimated date in years. Now you tell me that if it's too long of a wait I can request a refund? I want you guys to succeed but you have to imagine how shitty it is to wait on a 2018 forthcoming grab bag in 2022 when THAT isn't even on the updates page. I didn't know forthcoming would be 5+ years! It's just impatience at this point, but also eroded trust. I have so many CD limited and otherwise and now half the emails I get are Chizmar promoting his own stuff that he had no problem getting to a printer. Update your updates page. And please update when we might be expecting things, not just that it's going to be a while.

Production did not get shut down! Night Shift rolled at the printer and shipped almost two years ago. Lettered cases are in the next batch of traycases, iirc. If your order never reached you, please let me know your order number. It's been two years, but I will look into it and see if I can scrounge up the tracking information.

The SK grab bag (I believe you are referencing that one) shipped last summer, except for a few stragglers where we were given too few of one of the books and have been fighting with them to get the remainder of the order. The rest are supposed to come and ship within November.

The Stand is planned to announce pretty soon (and most of the preorders have gone out), but we delayed to avoid the long wait period between official announcement and shipping so as to avoid the issue of year long waits on announced projects.

As for the update page... generally that is the most up to date information available to any of us. It may not be moving on every project, and we simply do not have dates on many things, but that's where each one sits. If you want specifics beyond that, certainly reach out and I'll ask around on your behalf.

Comment

That is a problem! I will certainly ask the folks in charge of it to clean up older dates/vestigial commentary. There are frequently updated parts of it--those projects actively pushing, things like Caretakers, Interview with the Vampire, the Graveyard Editions, The Stand, a few others--but I do understand the issue when the old statements that were made ages ago have not been updated/clarified and how they can drown out any beneficial content contained. I will contact him and ask him to read item by item and date by date to at least keep it where the information stated is valid, even if many items are frozen in the "ready for printer" stage. Sorry for any confusion, hopefully we can get it in a better and more useable position. In the mean time, please send me any specific issues and I'll try my best (for whatever that's worth) to answer!
                    I would recommend the 'Last Updated Date' be for each individual title. As it stands, I am unable to determine what was updated on November 11th as I do not have the prior updates committed to memory. I would also recommend something closer to the Suntup Status Updates page. I do appreciate your efforts, thank you!

Comment

I contacted Dan today and got a quick response. I do feel that things will get better but still have a "wait and see" attitude.

Comment

Production did not get shut down! Night Shift rolled at the printer and shipped almost two years ago. Lettered cases are in the next batch of traycases, iirc. If your order never reached you, please let me know your order number. It's been two years, but I will look into it and see if I can scrounge up the tracking information.

The SK grab bag (I believe you are referencing that one) shipped last summer, except for a few stragglers where we were given too few of one of the books and have been fighting with them to get the remainder of the order. The rest are supposed to come and ship within November.

The Stand is planned to announce pretty soon (and most of the preorders have gone out), but we delayed to avoid the long wait period between official announcement and shipping so as to avoid the issue of year long waits on announced projects.

As for the update page... generally that is the most up to date information available to any of us. It may not be moving on every project, and we simply do not have dates on many things, but that's where each one sits. If you want specifics beyond that, certainly reach out and I'll ask around on your behalf.
                        Dan I think they are referring to:

"New Forthcoming Grab Bag for 2018! X_GB043018"

​​​​​​​If so I am in the same boat, I think I read that one of the books was Suffer the Children and then I haven't seen anything since. Please do let me know if these did indeed go out because I am missing some books if that's the case.

Comment

I have to agree on the updates page. Many of those updates have been there for a long time, years even, and without dates they're meaningless. It would be nice to know what's really going on.

Just look at the Suntup update page to see exactly how it should be done: https://suntup.press/status-updates/

Comment

My question got buried so I am bumping it back up.
                            Any updates on the status of the lettered editions of "Best of CD2" and "Usher's Passing?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                              I have to agree on the updates page. Many of those updates have been there for a long time, years even, and without dates they're meaningless. It would be nice to know what's really going on.

Just look at the Suntup update page to see exactly how it should be done: https://suntup.press/status-updates/
                              I've never looked at their status page but it's really good! Simple, to the point, and provides tons of valuable information IMHO.

Fingers crossed CD gets their house in order - I know lots of us have dealt with years of delays. There's a soft spot in my heart for CD since they're the first small publisher I've ever bought anything from (oh hell gift edition of IT ...)

Looking at my pre-order list - happy fifth anniversary to the Caretakers (ordered 11/10/2017). Progress I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by joejets View Post
                                My question got buried so I am bumping it back up.
                                Sorry for the tardy reply! Usher's Passing is currently at the case makers. Has been for a little while. Contacted them, and they advised of some progress (the embosser is in production, boarding expected to arrive, sample made). I can't figure a proper guess on when they'll actually arrive, but it's a lot further than last time I harassed them, even if it's not as far along as I'd hoped.

Best of CD2 is a little further down on the list. Hopefully it'll go in the next batch to the case makers, but barring that it'd be the one after. I am reluctant to give a BS hopeful answer, so I'm just going to say I'd reasonably hope 2023 was its year.

Comment

Working...
                                X