No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Tintin: Destination Moon when I was a kid. This looks interesting.
    http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

Guys: do go see this movie. It's an absolute must!

sk

Comment

Well, I have to wait til 21December, but will do!
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

already a planned sequel...go figure. PJ will direct.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...dventures.html
          Last edited by srboone; 10-30-2011, 05:55 AM.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I know. I thought I had read somewhere Spielberg and Jackson were going to shoot their versions back-to-back and Jackson's sequel would be releaded in 2012. I guess The Hobbit interfered, as I don't think PJ has shot a single frame yet. Will have to wait till 2014?? All depending I guess when The Hobbit will wrap.

sk

Comment

For those of you that like Criterion, B&N is having a sale on their entire (i think) Criterion catalog: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?cat...=dvd&view=grid

Comment

Damn this is the first time I've seen this thread.
                Rate the last movie I saw:

1. I saw several: 1. Laid to Rest...Excellent, nonsensical slasher. Incredibly gory. 10 for effects, 1 for plausibility factor.

2. Criminally Insane: One of the best, moronic films ever made. Only 60 minutes long. Ridiculous effects but still one of my top 5: 10 overall, a MUST SEE

3. The Invitation: A suprisingly well made move. Somewhat complicated theme but a big 10 overall.

That's it for now.

Comment

Atlas Shrugged: Part I. The book is in my top 5 all-time, but I will try to be objective. Wooden actors, an uninspired script, limited budget that shows itself in almost every frame; but there are some good points to the film: Graham Beckel as Ellis Wyatt, the oil tycoon--comes off as a cross between Ryan O'Neal and Ron "Tater Salad" White. A scene in which a high speed train crosses a suspension bridge made from the experimental Reardon Metal is very exciting (1/2 the budget probably went to that scene alone and was worth every penny.) And I find Joe Polito (a veteran of many Cohen Brothers films) to be fun to watch.

The problem with this film is that the director let the budget ($20M) restrict him too much. Some directors can get pretty creative with a limited budget. Here, Paul Johannson let himself get boxed into a lot of interior shots where people are conducting business. The result is a film with the feel of a television movie that has one scene worthy of big screen treatment (I did see it in the theater in April.). When I saw it on BD, the movie played pretty well, but the bridge scene was not as exciting.

I'm not going to call it a good movie, but not a bad movie, either because it is watchable. I hope the sequel is better...

2.5/5.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Atlas Shrugged is also one of my favorite books. And think it (or at least The Fountainhead) should be required reading for kids in their late teens. Yeah, most people won't like it, but at least it would get them thinking about different points of view. I wasn't holding out much hope for the movie after seeing the trailer. And it's only 1/3 of the story, right??
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Yes, part II is tenatively scheduled fro 2013 and part III 2015. The man who bankrolled the film says thatpart II is scheduled to shoot in 2012.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                        Atlas Shrugged is also one of my favorite books. And think it (or at least The Fountainhead) should be required reading for kids in their late teens. Yeah, most people won't like it, but at least it would get them thinking about different points of view. I wasn't holding out much hope for the movie after seeing the trailer. And it's only 1/3 of the story, right??
                        Never heard of it. Is it really that good? Both the book and movie?

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                          Never heard of it. Is it really that good? Both the book and movie?
                          It's a great, huge, philosophical novel. It took me 3 tries to really get into it. With your reading habits, it may be a tough read, with 1000 pages of Ayn Rand's Objectivist philosophy. (I won't get into the politics or philosophy here. If you're interested look it up or PM me). If you want a quick introduction you may want to try the short novel "Anthem", which was the story basis for the Rush song suite "2112", if you're familiar with that.
                          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                            It's a great, huge, philosophical novel. It took me 3 tries to really get into it. With your reading habits, it may be a tough read, with 1000 pages of Ayn Rand's Objectivist philosophy. (I won't get into the politics or philosophy here. If you're interested look it up or PM me). If you want a quick introduction you may want to try the short novel "Anthem", which was the story basis for the Rush song suite "2112", if you're familiar with that.
                            Naw, never liked Rush but I think I will send a PM. I said I never heard of it, but I've heard the term before...and it probably concerned the book lol. But if it's really deep and you sound like a smart guy, I don't know if I could get into it or not but I might give it a try. The Ayn Rand thing interests me.

Comment

Immortals: This movies looks like a work of art. The actors, cinematography, costumes (though not historically accurate) and most of the visuals are simply beautiful to look at. I say most, because some of the landscapes look the same, dull grey, lifeless. And it would have you believe that Greece is made up of nothing but cities overlooking thousand-foot drops. What's missing here is a coherent story, dialog above the dung heap level and momentum. I am well versed in Greek mythology, but I found myself asking "Wait a minute! Who just died?" and "Who is that supposed to be?" The battles and bloodletting are rather dull, too. There was a battle that looked like it would be a 2D scrolling environment, reminiscent of a great scene in Oldboy; but, alas, it didn't pan out. The bloodletting is made for 3D (again, I saw it in 2D--when 3D stops inducing headaches and stops making a movie darker and dingier, I'll start goin to 3D again.) This is obviously revisionist mythology, but I found the legend of the Minotaur worked into the story rather neatly. It also brings into play the theme of reality vs. legend--which is promptly dropped.

All glitz with no bang, the movie will inevitably be compared to 300 and it will inevitably lose. On the bright side, Cavil does have leading man capability, giving hope for the upcoming Man of Steel.

2/5--skip this one; spend the time on something more productive, like rearranging you sock drawer or something.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I didn't even care for 300 too much, so I'll definitely skip this one.
                                Squire, do watch Spielberg's Tintin in 3D though: no headaches and no murky screen.

sk

Comment

Working...
                                X