Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, to my defense...

Spoiler!

Now that is just silly. However, I did give it a higher mark (+.5) for the...

Spoiler!

Still, the wife and I actually found ourselves laughing at many points during each of these movies, more so the latter one.

Most ridiculous part of the 2nd movie was....

Spoiler!

Sorry, but neither film resonated with me other than some of the graphic stuff.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Best popcorn movie this summer. Not really sure if it's a re-make (of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes), prequel or addition to, it's simply a terriffic movie. Love the CGI for a change and can't wait for the sequel.

*****/*****

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
        Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Best popcorn movie this summer. Not really sure if it's a re-make (of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes), prequel or addition to, it's simply a terriffic movie. Love the CGI for a change and can't wait for the sequel.

*****/*****

sk
        Really want to see that film!

Comment

The part that gets me about all these zombie movies, is that you know if something like this happened in real life, the world governments would just nuke the outbreak place into oblivion, then deal with the radiation later. 28 days / weeks later being the optimal example as it's an isolated island nation.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Although it isn't a zombie genre movie, I think Outbreak (10/11 for me) displays the reality of how things would go down. By this, I am referring to government involvement. Perhaps, this is what bothered me the most, as Dan points out the obvious. I think 28 Days/Weeks later both take place long after any sort of bomb would have been dropped (if not by their own government, then by another, who might be concerned things would progress to their area).

I didn't hate either movie. I just thought they were sort of flaky and comical at times. They were entertaining. Both had some incredible filmography, and some great plot points. But they let me down otherwise. Just my opinion though.

As far as modern day zombie movies go I was quite fond of Shaun of the Dead (9/11) and Zombieland (9.5/11), as they both take a lighter side to this while maintaining the reality of the situation.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is at the top of my list to see when I can. It says it is rated PG-13, but I am not sure I buy that rating. My 7 year old son really wants to see it, but I'm not convinced he wouldn't get scared from it. Of course, I saw Psycho when I was 4, so who knows LOL. For now I am in a holding pattern on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              The part that gets me about all these zombie movies, is that you know if something like this happened in real life, the world governments would just nuke the outbreak place into oblivion, then deal with the radiation later. 28 days / weeks later being the optimal example as it's an isolated island nation.
              Raccoon City their arses!!!
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                Raccoon City their arses!!!
                Yes, but don't screw it up.... lol. We all know the government has secret contingencies for outbreaks.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Although Knocked Up is outside my usual cinematic fare (horror), I thoroughly enjoyed the antics of Seth Rogen and his usual crew of castmates. In fact, the films of Judd Apatow have grown on me. Especially those featuring Rogen. I enjoy his delivery and his ability to be funny yet serious throughout his movies. But getting back on track, I found Knocked Up to be raunchy yet redemptive, and it offered an appropriate message (though in comedic fashion) regarding unprotected, premarital sex. And the social commentary about marriage was also quite apt and accurate. Reminded me of some people I know... Overall, I'd give the movie 4.5/5 stars for what it is.
                  "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

Don't be Afraid of the Dark: 2.5/5. Everything necessary for a great haunted house movie is here: foreboding atmosphere, adults who always make the wrong decisions, a cantankerous caretaker who knows what's going on, and a child who knows something is terribly wrong (played by an utterly tremendous Bailee Madison). The only problem--the creatures. They are not very well imagined and too much is shown too soon; also, the information concerning them is confusing. And that's too bad, because everything else is top-notch; but the creatures here just aren't scary--more irritating than anything else.. However, it has a one helluva finale. Finally, a movie where Katie Holmes wasn't a liability!
                    Last edited by srboone; 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I have "The Rite" on the way. Heard it was pretty decent. Might take a while to watch, but anyone seen it?

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                        I have "The Rite" on the way. Heard it was pretty decent. Might take a while to watch, but anyone seen it?
                        I watched this awhile back. I thought it was a movie that could have been alot more...It's certainly worth a watch though if your into this type of subject matter.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Oh, I forgot that I wanted to see that one. Saw the trailer awhile back and it looked like it could be entertaining. Plus it has Hopkins in it...

Comment

I liked The Rite. It tried to treat the subject of exorcism objectively and it did a pretty good job. It wasn't exploitative of the subject. Hopkins was quite good as always. I not raving about it, but really have nothing bad to say about it. It's just a good, if undistinguished movie.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              I liked The Rite. It tried to treat the subject of exorcism objectively and it did a pretty good job. It wasn't exploitative of the subject. Hopkins was quite good as always. I not raving about it, but really have nothing bad to say about it. It's just a good, if undistinguished movie.
                              Would have to agree with that myself. Wasn't sure what to expect, but it was decent. Wasn't one I was thoroughly impressed by, but it was a disappointment either. Well worth a rental (or spot on your Netflix queue)
                              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                              Spoiler!

Comment

I thoroughly enjoy Anthony Hopkins as an actor, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong with a movie featuring Hopkins and exorcism. I purchased the DVD for $18 shortly after its release. It was money relatively well-spent in that Hopkins did not disappoint as usual. However, I expected more of a horror-ish film (as deceitfully portrayed by the trailer). That was my only disappointment. Once I got over that minor blip, I think The Rite is well worth at least one viewing. Because I put it in fairly late on a Friday night, I got sleepy toward the final third (not the movie's fault; I was legitimately exhausted), so I plan to re-watch it. Therefore, I'd have to give it about 3.5/5 stars for now.
                                "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

Working...
                                X