Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Does this show start moving a little faster after the first 2 episodes? It is really slow so far.
    I didn't find it to be that way, Tim. Hopefully it picks up for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
      I tell myself I'm a horror fan, but I rarely ever read horror novels or watch horror movies. (I think what I really am is a Stephen King fan, and he may not really be horror HORROR anymore.)

Knowing that, we (GF - I mean WIFE - that'll take some time to get used to!) never watch scary movies.

I think was year we watched the original Halloween (on glorious Divimax DVD!) and she was fine. She barely made it through IT when we saw it in the theater - but bonus points for actually going with me.

This year we watched A Quiet Place - thought it was great and it was pretty scary at times. We also watched The VVitch - and that was a great movie - and a bit frightening (oh you beautiful thing you Black Phillip!) Last night we watched Oculus - it's Halloween time and I suggested a scary movie. I hadn't seen any of the Blumhouse horror films, but I enjoyed this one. Had it's moments of fright, plus Karen Gillan is always alright to watch ( <3 ). K said she was disappointed
      Spoiler!

I think the most "horrorific" film she's watched with me is Rare Exports. Early on in our dating life we went and saw it. I had already seen it (a little arthouse theater here plays it every December) and she was a bit concerned about what was going on, but was a huge fan at the end.
      Congrats on the marriage, Jason! I hope you have a long and happy one, my friend! I never really considered King to be a horror writer. More of a supernatural writer, placing ordinary people and extraordinary situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
        Congrats on the marriage, Jason! I hope you have a long and happy one, my friend! I never really considered King to be a horror writer. More of a supernatural writer, placing ordinary people and extraordinary situations.
        Thanks Brian!

King just always is lumped into horror and it's not exactly a fair placement. Yeah, there are some frightening bits here and there.

Of course, horror is kind of subjective too.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          I tell myself I'm a horror fan, but I rarely ever read horror novels or watch horror movies. (I think what I really am is a Stephen King fan, and he may not really be horror HORROR anymore.)

Knowing that, we (GF - I mean WIFE - that'll take some time to get used to!) never watch scary movies.

I think was year we watched the original Halloween (on glorious Divimax DVD!) and she was fine. She barely made it through IT when we saw it in the theater - but bonus points for actually going with me.

This year we watched A Quiet Place - thought it was great and it was pretty scary at times. We also watched The VVitch - and that was a great movie - and a bit frightening (oh you beautiful thing you Black Phillip!) Last night we watched Oculus - it's Halloween time and I suggested a scary movie. I hadn't seen any of the Blumhouse horror films, but I enjoyed this one. Had it's moments of fright, plus Karen Gillan is always alright to watch ( <3 ). K said she was disappointed
          Spoiler!

I think the most "horrorific" film she's watched with me is Rare Exports. Early on in our dating life we went and saw it. I had already seen it (a little arthouse theater here plays it every December) and she was a bit concerned about what was going on, but was a huge fan at the end.
          Congratulations on the wedding! I love reading horror but do not watch too much of it. I often find horror movies to be to reliant on gore and cheap thrills rather than telling a good story. The 1963 Haunting of Hill House movie is an exception to that rule. My wife on the other hand will not read horror stories but loves horror movies. She loves everything from psychological thrillers to slasher films. When the King miniseries Storm of the Century was released she loved it until the end. The actually pissed her off because it was not the happy ending she was looking for. The next day she had come around and stated the happing ending she wanted would not have fit with the story and was happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Congratulations on the wedding! I love reading horror but do not watch too much of it. I often find horror movies to be to reliant on gore and cheap thrills rather than telling a good story. The 1963 Haunting of Hill House movie is an exception to that rule. My wife on the other hand will not read horror stories but loves horror movies. She loves everything from psychological thrillers to slasher films. When the King miniseries Storm of the Century was released she loved it until the end. The actually pissed her off because it was not the happy ending she was looking for. The next day she had come around and stated the happing ending she wanted would not have fit with the story and was happy with it.
            I think you and your wife both would probably really like the newest Hill House then.

Comment

I was looking for more Mike Flanagan after finishing HILL HOUSE, so we watched OCULUS last night. Great premise, and Karen Gillan is a doll, but it felt sooooooo dragged out. It was 101 minutes, and should have been 70. My wife got up and left halfway through...too scary for her. I'd give it a six out of seven.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                I was looking for more Mike Flanagan after finishing HILL HOUSE, so we watched OCULUS last night. Great premise, and Karen Gillan is a doll, but it felt sooooooo dragged out. It was 101 minutes, and should have been 70. My wife got up and left halfway through...too scary for her. I'd give it a six out of seven.
                I enjoyed it too. Saw it way back when it was in theatres.

Comment

I may come back to it but I will pass for now. Actors are flat, dialogue is lame, and story is played out. Wish it were different.

I didn't find it to be that way, Tim. Hopefully it picks up for ya.
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Halloween viewing continued...

Ghost Stories: Based on a stage play of the same name, this anthology film follows a debunker of the supernatural following up on three cases that his idol claims he was never able to prove as false. Though critically praised, this movie seems to split audiences in two in regards to how the movie resolves itself. I had no issues with this and actually thoroughly enjoyed the film. The first story is probably the best, but the two others have great bits, one hilarious and the other shocking. Grade: B+

Cat People: This 1942 Val Lewton produced film is praised to high heaven and I have been anxiously awaiting this viewing after picking up the Criterion Blu-ray a while back. Unfortunately, it didn't quite hit the mark for me and I think this was due to the hype that had built up around it. Solidly acted and directed, I could find little to complain about and really enjoyed it, but it just didn't blow me away as I had anticipated. Grade: B+

Terrified: My wife had missed this at Fantastic Fest this year and I was mixed on it. Since it was streaming on Shudder, we decided to give it another shot. I'll leave my other post about the movie stand and say that while I still have some issues with the construction of the film as a narrative, it worked better for me on a second viewing and still think that the set pieces are super creepy. Grade: B-

Halloween night we did a Sorority Slasher Double Feature:
                    Black Christmas: The original 1970s classic, not the remake. Still so creepy and still very modern in some of its portrayals that it stands up well even though its over 40 years old. Grade: A

Happy Death Day: I wanted something a little more fun to follow up Black Christmas with and I really enjoyed this Groundhog's Day-meets-Scream movie when I saw it in the theaters. My wife rolled her eyes when I put it on, but was quickly won over by just how much fun this movie is and almost all of it lands on the shoulder of the lead actress, Jessica Rothe. Not groundbreaking by any means, this is just a fun movie and I'm kind of looking forward to the sequel. Grade: A

Comment

I also finished watching Flanagan's The Haunting of Hill House. I want to post something longer in the movie spoiler thread, so I'll keep this short and just say that this is a masterful piece of work by Flanagan and the cast. When the final credits rolled, it was like when you turn the last page on a favorite book: satisfying, exhilarating, yet bittersweet since its over.

I was worried that the ending would be too saccharine from reviews I had read, but thought that it was perfect. So good.
                      Grade: A

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                        I also finished watching Flanagan's The Haunting of Hill House. I want to post something longer in the movie spoiler thread, so I'll keep this short and just say that this is a masterful piece of work by Flanagan and the cast. When the final credits rolled, it was like when you turn the last page on a favorite book: satisfying, exhilarating, yet bittersweet since its over.

I was worried that the ending would be too saccharine from reviews I had read, but thought that it was perfect. So good.
                        Best TV in a long time IMO. Much better than Castle Rock which I never finished. Flanagan should have done that as well. It's hard to understand sometimes way King's adaptations are so subpar.

Comment

Best TV in a long time IMO. Much better than Castle Rock which I never finished. Flanagan should have done that as well. It's hard to understand sometimes way King's adaptations are so subpar.
                          I never finished the first episode of Castle Rock. I keep meaning to go back to it, but just haven't found the time. I think adaptations are hard in general. There's a balance to be struck between being loyal to the source material and making it work for the new medium. As far as King's adaptations go, there is probably something to be said for when the people making it have a personal resonance with the material. The worst product comes when it's from a place of "option this and then make it happen". There are good King adaptations: SHAWSHANK and THE MIST come to mind and--boy, this will ruffle some feathers--are much better than the work they are based on. There's just been more bad than good.

Comment

Due to work and other commitments I did not get through all the horror movies I purchased before Halloween hit so I instituted "Halloween Aftermath". Essentially, I get to rope the wife into a couple more days of horror movies so they don't sit on the shelf, both literally and figuratively. My "To Be Watched" list of physical media has gotten pretty big, so I've also put a moratorium on buying new DVDs or Blu-rays until I get through the stacks I already have, though I'll probably make an exception for Barnes & Noble's Criterion sale that kicks off tomorrow.

So first off for "Halloween Aftermath" is one of my all-time favorites from when I was a kid. My cousins and I snatched this one up from the small rental shop in town and watched this over and over again. Horror wasn't really allowed in my house growing up so this was about as dark as it would get, which isn't very. It was--and is--still so much fun.

And that is the 1990 Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward classic: TREMORS.

Considered a campy cult classic by some, I think there is nothing campy about this 1950s monster movie throwback that has genuinely fun performances from the cast and some really good practical effects. Subterranean monsters eating townsfolk in a desert town shouldn't be this much fun. And while I had watched the movie so much growing up, I remembered the movie beat for beat, I forgot just how high the body count is. I always liked Kevin Bacon's performance, but this time around it was Fred Ward who stole the movie for me. Even the poster art makes me nostalgic:

tremors-movie-poster-1990-1020189671.jpg

Comment

I never finished the first episode of Castle Rock. I keep meaning to go back to it, but just haven't found the time. I think adaptations are hard in general. There's a balance to be struck between being loyal to the source material and making it work for the new medium. As far as King's adaptations go, there is probably something to be said for when the people making it have a personal resonance with the material. The worst product comes when it's from a place of "option this and then make it happen". There are good King adaptations: SHAWSHANK and THE MIST come to mind and--boy, this will ruffle some feathers--are much better than the work they are based on. There's just been more bad than good.
                              Those two movies are excellent along with The Green Mile.

Comment

Due to work and other commitments I did not get through all the horror movies I purchased before Halloween hit so I instituted "Halloween Aftermath". Essentially, I get to rope the wife into a couple more days of horror movies so they don't sit on the shelf, both literally and figuratively. My "To Be Watched" list of physical media has gotten pretty big, so I've also put a moratorium on buying new DVDs or Blu-rays until I get through the stacks I already have, though I'll probably make an exception for Barnes & Noble's Criterion sale that kicks off tomorrow.

So first off for "Halloween Aftermath" is one of my all-time favorites from when I was a kid. My cousins and I snatched this one up from the small rental shop in town and watched this over and over again. Horror wasn't really allowed in my house growing up so this was about as dark as it would get, which isn't very. It was--and is--still so much fun.

And that is the 1990 Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward classic: TREMORS.

Considered a campy cult classic by some, I think there is nothing campy about this 1950s monster movie throwback that has genuinely fun performances from the cast and some really good practical effects. Subterranean monsters eating townsfolk in a desert town shouldn't be this much fun. And while I had watched the movie so much growing up, I remembered the movie beat for beat, I forgot just how high the body count is. I always liked Kevin Bacon's performance, but this time around it was Fred Ward who stole the movie for me. Even the poster art makes me nostalgic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21114[/ATTACH]

One of my all time favorites as well!

Comment

Working...
                                X