Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    This has probably been asked before however could there be a link in the store/product page to the forum announcement of a book? Maybe that would drive a few more folks into the forum.
    We've thought about it. But it'd have to be done manually and I have enough trouble remembering to even make the announcement threads. Maybe I'll talk to Brian about putting just a generic "discuss this book" link that just sends people to the forums as a whole. I really don't know if it would work though.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Random thought: Have there been a lot of short films about the current virus pandemic made? I got an idea for a short-film script, but it seems to me that there could be a good chance of the premise already receiving coverage. Can two or more short films exist with the same premise? My idea -- called "PPE" -- is that there is a pandemic of possession flooding the world, and there is a shortage of PPE -- crucifixes, rosary beads, pocket bibles, and of course, Holy (hand) Water (sanitizer). I parenthetically was on-the-nose about that because I laugh every time I think of that analogy, for some reason.

Anyway, has anyone heard of such a short film already in existence? I'll tell you this: if somehow someone could convince a government official or news anchor to make a cameo (which would seem easy enough to do remotely), that might be a differentiating factor (my idea would be the governor of New York talking about prisoners making crucifixes and Holy Water, blessed by house-of-corrections chaplains). And of course the analogy for people who refuse to use PPE would be atheists.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
        Random thought: Have there been a lot of short films about the current virus pandemic made? I got an idea for a short-film script, but it seems to me that there could be a good chance of the premise already receiving coverage. Can two or more short films exist with the same premise? My idea -- called "PPE" -- is that there is a pandemic of possession flooding the world, and there is a shortage of PPE -- crucifixes, rosary beads, pocket bibles, and of course, Holy (hand) Water (sanitizer). I parenthetically was on-the-nose about that because I laugh every time I think of that analogy, for some reason.

Anyway, has anyone heard of such a short film already in existence? I'll tell you this: if somehow someone could convince a government official or news anchor to make a cameo (which would seem easy enough to do remotely), that might be a differentiating factor (my idea would be the governor of New York talking about prisoners making crucifixes and Holy Water, blessed by house-of-corrections chaplains). And of course the analogy for people who refuse to use PPE would be atheists.
        I am not familiar with short films enough to say if any have been done yet. I will say Audible has produced at least two original stories. A serial story from Mitch Albom called Human Touch. It covered the emotions around a community in the lockdown with a heavy emphasis on racism. It was enjoyable, if you like Mitch Albom's work you would like this one. The second was The Cuckoo's Cry by Caroline Overington. This one was a mystery during the lockdown set in Australia. I think they both worked for me because the base story was interesting and the pandemic issues covered were real issues. I would not worry multiple short films covering the pandemic. Tell the story you want to tell and make it interesting. Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I am not familiar with short films enough to say if any have been done yet. I will say Audible has produced at least two original stories. A serial story from Mitch Albom called Human Touch. It covered the emotions around a community in the lockdown with a heavy emphasis on racism. It was enjoyable, if you like Mitch Albom's work you would like this one. The second was The Cuckoo's Cry by Caroline Overington. This one was a mystery during the lockdown set in Australia. I think they both worked for me because the base story was interesting and the pandemic issues covered were real issues. I would not worry multiple short films covering the pandemic. Tell the story you want to tell and make it interesting. Good luck with it.
          Martin, thank you for the advice. Based on that encouragement, I have indeed begun it. I will try to make it as interesting as possible...

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post

Martin, thank you for the advice. Based on that encouragement, I have indeed begun it. I will try to make it as interesting as possible...
            Glad to hear, make it your own story and you will be fine!

Comment

I knew that fees went up on eBay but, man, did they go up. On my latest invoice it's close to 13% in fees. Throw in PayPal fees and, boy, it's death by a thousand cuts. For example, I sold a book for $26 on eBay. Between eBay and PayPal, I paid $4.62 in fees. That's just bonkers.

I'm also not a fan of paying fees on shipping. I understand why eBay probably put that into place (people gaming the system by listing for really cheap, but ratcheting up the shipping & handling fees), but for honest sellers it kinda pours salt into the wound.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                I knew that fees went up on eBay but, man, did they go up. On my latest invoice it's close to 13% in fees. Throw in PayPal fees and, boy, it's death by a thousand cuts. For example, I sold a book for $26 on eBay. Between eBay and PayPal, I paid $4.62 in fees. That's just bonkers.

I'm also not a fan of paying fees on shipping. I understand why eBay probably put that into place (people gaming the system by listing for really cheap, but ratcheting up the shipping & handling fees), but for honest sellers it kinda pours salt into the wound.
                I had no idea the fees have gone up, let alone that significantly. It used to be 10% at eBay and 3% at PayPal, totaling 13%, which already seemed high. That’s unfortunate, as I’ve been giving a lot of thought recently to liquidating the majority of my Paperbacks from Hell collection of nearly 800 bucks.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I have a high value item going live this evening and I can only image how much that's going to hurt.

Comment

Traded in a 2005 vehicle today for a 2003...Not sure if it was the best thing ever but glad to rid myself of the problem I know.

Now on to new problems!
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Traded in a 2005 vehicle today for a 2003...Not sure if it was the best thing ever but glad to rid myself of the problem I know.

Now on to new problems!
                      Hopefully your new problem is much less so!

Comment

I really hope so. Thanks!

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Hopefully your new problem is much less so!

Comment

I've been working five days a week here since we reopened, except for two four day weeks when I took one vacation day each week. I'm just working, getting by and relaxing in what free time I do have. At the unit where I work one person should be being hired soon since if just one person in our unit gets sick we are screwed.

Cap
                          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Does anyone in Florida have any contacts for help with residential long term treatment for an adult with mental illness? My son, who is an adult whom I have guardianship over, need help. We cannot find any long term care for him.

This is an open and honest request. We have called every number we can find for years, months, and days with no help.

I hate putting this here but we are desperate.

Comment

Does anyone in Florida have any contacts for help with residential long term treatment for an adult with mental illness? My son, who is an adult whom I have guardianship over, need help. We cannot find any long term care for him.

This is an open and honest request. We have called every number we can find for years, months, and days with no help.

I am so sorry! I wish I knew some place to direct you.

Comment

I do not have any actual help but two resources you may not have considered are your US Representative or Senators office. They often have people with resource information in their offices. I hope you are able to get the assistance you require.

Comment

Working...
                                X