No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You sometimes find strange things in books. I got a copy of Naughty on eBay. The seller declined my Submit Your Best Offer offer. Naughty was still a good deal and I purchased the book anyway. When it arrived I found two $1 bills inside so I did get a discount. When I was returning from my vacation trip home in 2019 I purchased a box of six vintage hardcovers on eBay. In the book Message From A Stranger by Marya Mannes (Published in 1948) I found a sweet vintage Mother's Day card in pristine condition. At the top it reads From Your Secret Pal on Mother's Day. Below the words are colorful flowers and butterflies. Boy was I stunned to find this card in a book.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
      You sometimes find strange things in books. I got a copy of Naughty on eBay. The seller declined my Submit Your Best Offer offer. Naughty was still a good deal and I purchased the book anyway. When it arrived I found two $1 bills inside so I did get a discount. When I was returning from my vacation trip home in 2019 I purchased a box of six vintage hardcovers on eBay. In the book Message From A Stranger by Marya Mannes (Published in 1948) I found a sweet vintage Mother's Day card in pristine condition. At the top it reads From Your Secret Pal on Mother's Day. Below the words are colorful flowers and butterflies. Boy was I stunned to find this card in a book.

Cap
      I used to track my radio listening for Nielsen. They paid a dollar for every completed survey you submitted. They would actually mail me a new uncirculated dollar bill each time. I always used them for book marks. I occasionally encounter one on a re-read and probably traded a few books at Powell’s with dollar bills in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        I used to track my radio listening for Nielsen. They paid a dollar for every completed survey you submitted. They would actually mail me a new uncirculated dollar bill each time. I always used them for book marks. I occasionally encounter one on a re-read and probably traded a few books at Powell’s with dollar bills in them.
        Radio listening for Nielsen. Could you explain please? ~Cap

Comment

Radio listening for Nielsen. Could you explain please? ~Cap
          Nielson is a company that at one point handled the ratings for radio and tv. They may still but the technology has certainly advanced. If you were a Nielson rater you received a diary to document what times you listened to the radio and what station you had on. Each diary ran for a week and they provided a postage paid envelope for you to return your diary each week. So back then when you would hear that a radio or TV show was the top rated show it was based on those diaries. I remember that they referred to their TV raters as Nielson families as they would fill out diaries for every TV. I have no recollection about how I ended up doing this but I did it for a few years. They stopped sending me diaries a few months after I switched to Satellite radio. I always thought the compensation of one dollar a week was funny and the uncirculated bills made great bookmarks.

Comment

After I ordered Are Snakes Necessary? by Brian De Palma and Susan Lehman I than found (And ordered) in the Mysterious Bookshop's newsletter Dreamland by Nancy Bilyeau, available as a signed paperback. I was looking at a book comprised of three novellas at the Mysterious Bookshop (I changed my mind). ~Cap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNc9XxdwqaM
            Last edited by c marvel; 03-06-2020, 05:07 PM. Reason: Explanation above

Comment

I was surprised to see this was still available -- Cemetery Dance Collectors Club: Trial Membership Good Through the End of September ~Cap

Comment

I was surprised to see this was still available -- Cemetery Dance Collectors Club: Trial Membership Good Through the End of September ~Cap
                I think we probably just forgot to take it off the site.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                  Yep. Not the first time!
                  Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                  My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

That's too bad for me. I was rethinking and was leaning towards opting in for the 6 months. ~Cap

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

Comment

That's too bad for me. I was rethinking and was leaning towards opting in for the 6 months. ~Cap
                      Well if you do change your mind, shoot me an email I can do it manually.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

When you take a couple of days off to go surprise your daughter at college and get back from taking her to lunch and find out that the Corona Virus has caused the Governor to close all State Colleges and your time off becomes a moving the daughter back home from school trip.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          When you take a couple of days off to go surprise your daughter at college and get back from taking her to lunch and find out that the Corona Virus has caused the Governor to close all State Colleges and your time off becomes a moving the daughter back home from school trip.
                          Yikes, I can imagine what that must've been like. Mine are living off-campus with annual leases in place, so it's less of an issue, but so far both universities remain open. That said, both schools have moved to on-line for Winter finals (only), and we'll see what happens after Spring Break.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            Yikes, I can imagine what that must've been like. Mine are living off-campus with annual leases in place, so it's less of an issue, but so far both universities remain open. That said, both schools have moved to on-line for Winter finals (only), and we'll see what happens after Spring Break.
                            I was a little surprised that the closure in King, Pierce and Snohomish only applied to K-12.

Comment

Not to make light of things - but I am glad that I live super close to Boulder. Or Vegas isn't that far either - but I don't want to navigate the Eisenhower Tunnel.

But watching what Washington's going through is getting scary. It hasn't hit us much here in Colorado YET, but it's already affecting me. My work conference in San Diego was canceled, and then my reward for being an amazing employee was just canceled the other day (trip to some fancy resort in Del Mar.) And then just today, some big meetings are being canceled over concern with what's happening. I'm just waiting for my employer to make the "work remote" call any day now. We're all mobile anyway, just pull the trigger and say it's required.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                                Not to make light of things - but I am glad that I live super close to Boulder. Or Vegas isn't that far either - but I don't want to navigate the Eisenhower Tunnel.

But watching what Washington's going through is getting scary. It hasn't hit us much here in Colorado YET, but it's already affecting me. My work conference in San Diego was canceled, and then my reward for being an amazing employee was just canceled the other day (trip to some fancy resort in Del Mar.) And then just today, some big meetings are being canceled over concern with what's happening. I'm just waiting for my employer to make the "work remote" call any day now. We're all mobile anyway, just pull the trigger and say it's required.
                                Emerald City Comicon has been cancelled. They are looking for a time in the summer to try to re-schedule.
                                https://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/...-From-Reedpop/

Comment

Working...
                                X