No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m a little disappointed that they’re both doing the same - I have a limited budget after all.

But if I pass on the Suntup edition, while I retain my number for SK books, I lose it for future non-SK books.

Ugh. Choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      Suntup’s edition looks beautiful, but I’ll wait for the Centipede Press edition. $350 is a little too rich for my wallet right now.
      I think that's where I am, too. Had it been $125 like the Gift Misery, that'd be one thing...but at nearly 3X that price and knowing that Centipede Press is putting out an edition that I also know will be outstanding (and presumably cheaper), I'm probably fooling myself if I don't acknowledge that my decision has already been made.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Sub Press has two sales going today:

http://subterraneanpress.com/sale

https://subterraneanpress.com/dinged-book-sale

Anybody go crazy on some books? I picked up limited editions of The End of the Sentence and The Last Full Measure. Both had sounded interesting to me in the past, but not enough to pull the trigger at full price. At $10 and $15 respectively, I couldn't pass them up. I did skip the Dinged Sale. There were more books that I was interested in, but I just get a little iffy about dinged books.
        I got Dead on the Bones, MIA Hunter, and The Last Train From Perdition. 2 were from the dinged sale.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          I think that's where I am, too. Had it been $125 like the Gift Misery, that'd be one thing...but at nearly 3X that price and knowing that Centipede Press is putting out an edition that I also know will be outstanding (and presumably cheaper), I'm probably fooling myself if I don't acknowledge that my decision has already been made.

I'm torn because I want to get on the preorder list with right of first refusal for future numbered editions--even though that won't apply to future King numbered editions.

Comment

I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a lifetime subscription to Suntup's Gift/Artist editions and then saw this book will have no gift/artist edition.

Comment

Suntup’s edition looks beautiful, but I’ll wait for the Centipede Press edition. $350 is a little too rich for my wallet right now.
              Same here. I will wait for Centipede press. I think $350 is too much unless Shirley Jackson returned from the dead and signs the books. Even then I might pass at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                Madness my friend. I just gave you a follow on Twitter.
                I did too yesterday. Don't really do much Twitter but had to see the books Ron is posting.

Comment

I am passing on Suntup's second book. I am sure it will be a beautiful edition of a classic story but I am not willy to pay the asking price. If he offered a Gift edition I probably would have bought it.

I also passed on the Subterranean sales as they did not offer the items I am interested in as part of the sales.

Comment

I’m going to have to pass too. Pricey book too close to the last pricey book, and me giving thought to building a house ... heck I’m actually contemplating canceling a bunch of preorders because my collector focus is changing so it’s hatd to come up with any reason to buy this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                      I did too yesterday. Don't really do much Twitter but had to see the books Ron is posting.
                      Thanks...I’ll try to keep ‘em interesting.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        I'm torn because I want to get on the preorder list with right of first refusal for future numbered editions--even though that won't apply to future King numbered editions.
                        I'm wondering how they are going to work this out if they wind up doing another King book? I understand the desire to take care of the King collectors, but I'm just thinking of the person who jumps on with The Haunting of Hill House and say the next nine books, then loses their number on book eleven because it's a King book and the person who bought their number or letter of Misery gets first rights. That would leave a bitter taste in one's mouth, I'd think.

I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a lifetime subscription to Suntup's Gift/Artist editions and then saw this book will have no gift/artist edition.
                        Agreed, but if I remember correctly in the details for the lifetime offer it stated something to the effect of "if an edition is produced". I'm hard-pressed to think that any press can be successful with publishing three higher-end editions of each book on a long-term basis. Most books and authors just don't have the collector base to support a $95 gift edition, $350 limited and $2500 lettered.

All this aside, from the pictures this really looks like a great edition. Suntup's production values and designs are in my sweet spot, but the price isn't. I'd be much more tempted to get this one if Centipede wasn't doing theirs. Still tempted, but $350 is a big hurdle to get over. If this was Ghost Story...

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          Same here. I will wait for Centipede press. I think $350 is too much unless Shirley Jackson returned from the dead and signs the books. Even then I might pass at that price.
                          Well, if we were all hoping for a cheaper alternative of the The Haunting of Hill House from Centipede, we were wrong:

http://centipedepress.com/horror/hau...hillhouse.html

It will have a price around $450-495. Even with my subscriber discount this is going to be one expensive book.

Comment

I'm wondering how they are going to work this out if they wind up doing another King book? I understand the desire to take care of the King collectors, but I'm just thinking of the person who jumps on with The Haunting of Hill House and say the next nine books, then loses their number on book eleven because it's a King book and the person who bought their number or letter of Misery gets first rights. That would leave a bitter taste in one's mouth, I'd think.
                            Bitter taste for sure. Personally I don't see why the Misery purchasers would give up their number on the second book out. If I had been lucky enough to get a number, I'd try to keep it. Who knows if any will be available to preorder. With however many Misery purchasers who pass, that will at least open the door for people to become Suntup insiders.

Agreed, but if I remember correctly in the details for the lifetime offer it stated something to the effect of "if an edition is produced". I'm hard-pressed to think that any press can be successful with publishing three higher-end editions of each book on a long-term basis. Most books and authors just don't have the collector base to support a $95 gift edition, $350 limited and $2500 lettered.
                            True. But if I bought a subscription and still had to elbow out the competition to get a Suntup book, I'd wonder what good the subscription did for my collection. What if there are no gift editions for the next four books?

Comment

Well, if we were all hoping for a cheaper alternative of the The Haunting of Hill House from Centipede, we were wrong:

http://centipedepress.com/horror/hau...hillhouse.html

It will have a price around $450-495. Even with my subscriber discount this is going to be one expensive book.
                              Oh boy. Thanks for sharing this. This is getting ugly. Beautifully ugly.

Comment

True. But if I bought a subscription and still had to elbow out the competition to get a Suntup book, I'd wonder what good the subscription did for my collection. What if there are no gift editions for the next four books?
                                That's the gamble with any lifetime subscription: not knowing how many books are forthcoming. I would be disappointed if every time a book was announced there was no associated gift edition. Maybe this one is a fluke and most books will have gift editions.

Comment

Working...
                                X