Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Evil Bastard Author Continues to torture Fans

George R.R. Martin to publish 'Fire & Blood,' a 'Game of Thrones' early history, on Nov. 20

The wait for Winter continues, but in the meantime George R.R. Martin fans will have Fire & Blood to keep them warm.

Martin's publisher Bantam announced Wednesday that a new book called Fire & Blood will be released on Nov. 20, just in time for the holiday season.

Set 300 years before the events in A Game of Thrones, the first book in Martin’s best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series, Fire & Blood is the first of two planned volumes. It’s described as “the definitive history of the Targaryens in Westeros and chronicles the conquest that united the Seven Kingdoms under Targaryen rule through the Dance of the Dragons: the Targaryen civil war that nearly ended their dynasty forever.”

The new book will feature more than 75 illustrations by Doug Wheatley.
    Martin acknowledged in a statement that this is not the next GOT book fans have been waiting, and waiting, for, although he promises he's scribbling away.

“No, winter is not coming... not in 2018, at least. You're going to have to keep waiting for The Winds of Winter. You will, however, be able to return to Westeros this year,” he said. “I do want to stress... indeed, I want to shout... that Fire & Blood is not a novel. This is not a traditional narrative and was never intended to be… let's call this one ‘imaginary history’ instead. The essential point being the ‘history’ part. I love reading popular histories myself, and that's what I was aiming for here… As for me, I'm returning once again to The Winds of Winter.”

Meanwhile, the popular Game of Thrones series on HBO will return for an eighth and final season next year. Bastard!!
    It does come off as a little callous that they keep spending time to write and release these side projects but have been dragging out the main series. I'm sure from a business perspective it makes sense to release these other books at the height of the interest, but it does turn me off a bit. I've actually decided to not read the books until the final one is released. I have been watching the series so I will continue to do so, but the wait for the final season is a little long as well.

Comment

If anyone is interested, Centipede's collection of Caitlin Kiernan mythos stories on available...http://centipedepress.com/horror/housesunderthesea.html.

I am definitely on board for this one.

Comment

Earlier, we were talking about author signatures and I mentioned that Thomas Olde Huevelt’s sig was the most obnoxious. Judge for yourself:
        6004EA4A-8D01-460E-B18E-FE0ADD6AB3D0.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          Earlier, we were talking about author signatures and I mentioned that Thomas Olde Huevelt’s sig was the most obnoxious. Judge for yourself:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20603[/ATTACH]
          Holy Moses, that’s a tangle is swirls! I’d hate to have to sign that every time. This reminds me that I need to pick up a copy of Hex.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            Holy Moses, that’s a tangle is swirls! I’d hate to have to sign that every time. This reminds me that I need to pick up a copy of Hex.
            It's interesting. I've called it "Pet Sematary with a witch." There are other elements to the story. There's the claustrophobia of Under the Dome as well. And I do recall that there's a HUGE plot hole that you'll have to ignore if you want to thoroughly enjoy the book. It's a fun read and I'd recommend it. 3/5.

Comment

I'd echo the 3/5 on HEX...it's a decent book, but ultimately disappointing (especially the second half, as it actually starts out quite eerie).
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I actually kinda dig that sig. It's very busy but it's much better than a couple of squiggly lines.

Comment

Like pictures of cool horror books? Of course you do -- who doesn't?

If you're on Twitter, I've recently been trying to post a book or two from my collection every day, so if that sounds like something you'd like, feel free to follow me at @ron_clinton . Today, for example, I posted the 1st ed. pb that I think marks Koontz' transition from sci-fi to horror (i.e. DEMON SEED) and, as well, my complete Bentley Little collection (sorry, Jeff).

I'd repeat the pics here @ the forum, but the Twitter app just makes it so damn easy to take a pic on your phone and instantly post it.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

If you're on Twitter, I've recently been trying to post a book or two from my collection every day, so if that sounds like something you'd like, feel free to follow me at @ron_clinton . Today, for example, I posted the 1st ed. pb that I think marks Koontz' transition from sci-fi to horror (i.e. DEMON SEED) and, as well, my complete Bentley Little collection (sorry, Jeff).

I'd repeat the pics here @ the forum, but the Twitter app just makes it so damn easy to take a pic on your phone and instantly post it.
                    I will warn you all. His Twitter feed makes me want to go peruse the paperbacks at Powell's and have a cold glass of RC Cola!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      I will warn you all. His Twitter feed makes me want to go peruse the paperbacks at Powell's and have a cold glass of RC Cola!
                      -- two of life's greatest pleasures.

Comment

-- two of life's greatest pleasures.
                        I actually have no argument there!

Comment

Enough time will pass. Time will soften my rough edges. I will look back and wonder why I avoid Bentley Little so actively. I will tell myself "You just didn't give him a chance. You were in a confrontational mood when you read him." or some such other nonsense. Then I will read him. And I will remember. And fury will be with me.

Comment

Enough time will pass. Time will soften my rough edges. I will look back and wonder why I avoid Bentley Little so actively. I will tell myself "You just didn't give him a chance. You were in a confrontational mood when you read him." or some such other nonsense. Then I will read him. And I will remember. And fury will be with me.
                            Or you will realize you actually enjoy his storytelling! Could happen.

Comment

His book about an HOA run amok cracked me up (The Association). HOAs are not common around here unless you live in a townhouse/condo, and I've always found the concept a little too authoritarian for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                                His book about an HOA run amok cracked me up (The Association). HOAs are not common around here unless you live in a townhouse/condo, and I've always found the concept a little too authoritarian for my liking.
                                We have two north of our development. The outcast reside in my neighborhood

Comment

Working...
                                X