Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    It can be very friendly. I had many good years over there. Loved the place.

I just didn't like the unchecked political talk. That is why I left.
    I haven't really seen a lot of unchecked political crossfire. Recently there was a dust-up on YOUR NEW PRIDE AND JOY but RF stepped in and put a damper on it. Of course, there's the Politics thread but I just stay the hell off of that one.

The stuff I see that I don't like is the biting comments and angry swings about things that don't call for that. Like sniping at people for simply being zealous Suntup fans or CD production schedules (seriously, CD has been nothing but fantastic with customer service--and yeah waiting sucks for customers but people need to understand that CD probably isn't happy with delays either and I wouldn't doubt that refunds are easily given for those who refuse to hang on. I simply don't get bitching about it in a crowded public forum!). Things that should be handled in private or in a less emotional way. I actually think it's gotten better over there recently. For the most part.

Comment

That is good. Doesn't change that it still occurs and bleeds into many areas on the site. That forum was a SK discussion board. I went there to get away from the barrage of negativity. I felt the tdt.org was no longer a sanctuary for me. Very happy that it is still thriving and people enjoy it.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      I haven't really seen a lot of unchecked political crossfire. Recently there was a dust-up on YOUR NEW PRIDE AND JOY but RF stepped in and put a damper on it. Of course, there's the Politics thread but I just stay the hell off of that one.

The stuff I see that I don't like is the biting comments and angry swings about things that don't call for that. Like sniping at people for simply being zealous Suntup fans or CD production schedules (seriously, CD has been nothing but fantastic with customer service--and yeah waiting sucks for customers but people need to understand that CD probably isn't happy with delays either and I wouldn't doubt that refunds are easily given for those who refuse to hang on. I simply don't get bitching about it in a crowded public forum!). Things that should be handled in private or in a less emotional way. I actually think it's gotten better over there recently. For the most part.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

That is good. Doesn't change that it still occurs and bleeds into many areas on the site. That forum was a SK discussion board. I went there to get away from the barrage of negativity. I felt the tdt.org was no longer a sanctuary for me. Very happy that it is still thriving and people enjoy it.
        I hear you! Unfortunately, divisive political discourse is an internet problem, not just a TDT problem. It seems to creep in everywhere. I agree that it shouldn't necessarily be in a place that focused on collecting delicious books or other non-political topics, but the outrage machine WILL. NOT. BE. DENIED. The rub of it is--I think most people can agree on the vast majority of things. The fringes aren't getting bigger, they're just getting louder.

Anyway, we are totally in danger of turning this into a political discourse. See how easily we slide into the muck? On to happier things . . .

Comment

I hear you! Unfortunately, divisive political discourse is an internet problem, not just a TDT problem. It seems to creep in everywhere. I agree that it shouldn't necessarily be in a place that focused on collecting delicious books or other non-political topics, but the outrage machine WILL. NOT. BE. DENIED. The rub of it is--I think most people can agree on the vast majority of things. The fringes aren't getting bigger, they're just getting louder.

Anyway, we are totally in danger of turning this into a political discourse. See how easily we slide into the muck? On to happier things . . .
          Keep it clean men, keep it clean lOll!!

Comment

Like Marmaduke Grisby, I don't get over there much anymore, which it too bad, given the dearth of active horror-fiction forums. Just checked, and I have 900 posts, so I was somewhat active at one point, but it's been a while. But a(nother) declining interest in King, a forum atmosphere that is just too uneven in tone and too often syncophatic or bitter, etc. (never did get a political vibe from the place as Ben Staad mentions, but then again I only visited two boards: Calvin's Corner and Other Authors You Collect)..those and other factors just make it a place that doesn't lure me very often. I'll still peek in if I hear about something (like the CD/knightmare topic mentioned above), or need to see what's going with Suntup, or want to check on the Classifieds in the Other Authors You Collect subforum, but any degree of participation is pretty limited these days.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Completely off topic Ron, but do you read Daniel Woodrell, he wrote Winter's Bone?

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                Completely off topic Ron, but do you read Daniel Woodrell, he wrote Winter's Bone?
                I have read him, but not to any great degree, and not for some time. I've only read WINTER'S BONE, GIVE US A KISS, and TOMATO RED. I find his stuff to be well-written and objectively impressive, but whatever that secret sauce is that makes some authors click with you and others not...Woodrell just doesn't seem to have enough of it for me. It's almost as if the fatalism is cut too much with heart, the foibles with too much fortitude, and it creates a narrative that is, for me, too smooth around the edges for an Ozark/backwoods noir.

An author who writes books of a similar nature and who is, as well, more liteary than genre, but who doesn't have some of those stylistic tics that smooth the edges too much, and doesn't sacrifice character for setting, is David Joy. If you're looking for backwoods noir, you may want to check and see what he's all about: https://www.david-joy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  I have read him, but not to any great degree, and not for some time. I've only read WINTER'S BONE, GIVE US A KISS, and TOMATO RED. I find his stuff to be well-written and objectively impressive, but whatever that secret sauce is that makes some authors click with you and others not...Woodrell just doesn't seem to have enough of it for me. It's almost as if the fatalism is cut too much with heart, the foibles with too much fortitude, and it creates a narrative that is, for me, too smooth around the edges for an Ozark/backwoods noir.

An author who writes books of a similar nature and who is, as well, more liteary than genre, but who doesn't have some of those stylistic tics that smooth the edges too much, and doesn't sacrifice character for setting, is David Joy. If you're looking for backwoods noir, you may want to check and see what he's all about: https://www.david-joy.com/
                  Interesting analysis. I read Winter's Bone about a year ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yet I have not returned to the author.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                    HAHAHA you can't go off topic on a thread titled Random Thoughts! It's all fair game. Except politics. And religion. And anything your uncle might say at Thanksgiving dinner.

Comment

Oh my God! I miss real Thanksgiving dinners.

HAHAHA you can't go off topic on a thread titled Random Thoughts! It's all fair game. Except politics. And religion. And anything your uncle might say at Thanksgiving dinner.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Or being called a weirdo because you're a huge fan of an author and might only get to see him once in your life. If that's not calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

Oh my God! I miss real Thanksgiving dinners.
                        Me too, Jim! I think it's Jim, went out on a limb there lol. While we still try and do some sort of Thanksgiving dinner; it's not the old 30 people packed into the joint, eating where you can find a spot. I loved it! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday due to that reason. I'll sound like an old fart and say, Christmas has just become too commercialize and doesn't seem to hold any true meaning outside of retail sales reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          Me too, Jim! I think it's Jim, went out on a limb there lol. While we still try and do some sort of Thanksgiving dinner; it's not the old 30 people packed into the joint, eating where you can find a spot. I loved it! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday due to that reason. I'll sound like an old fart and say, Christmas has just become too commercialize and doesn't seem to hold any true meaning outside of retail sales reports.
                          I knew I'd get it wrong lol.

Comment

For all you Straub fans from Centipede:

One of our upcoming projects is a new limited edition of Ghost Story by Peter Straub. This edition will have archival artwork, plus a new dustjacket by artist Douglas Smith and several two-color linocuts by Vladimir Zimakov, plus bonus archival materials. The edition will be 500 copies, printed on mouldmade paper with natural deckled edges. The anticipated price will be around $400 per copy, with a publication date of around early 2022. If you are interested in this book, please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                              For all you Straub fans from Centipede:

One of our upcoming projects is a new limited edition of Ghost Story by Peter Straub. This edition will have archival artwork, plus a new dustjacket by artist Douglas Smith and several two-color linocuts by Vladimir Zimakov, plus bonus archival materials. The edition will be 500 copies, printed on mouldmade paper with natural deckled edges. The anticipated price will be around $400 per copy, with a publication date of around early 2022. If you are interested in this book, please let us know.
                              So glad I have the Hill House signed/limited HC of this one and don't need to worry about this new Centipede edition...I know Centipede's edition will be incredible, but I kinda feel like I won the lottery by saving $400. Well..."save" in the loosest sense, since it'll just go to other Centipede volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                So glad I have the Hill House signed/limited HC of this one and don't need to worry about this new Centipede edition...I know Centipede's edition will be incredible, but I kinda feel like I won the lottery by saving $400. Well..."save" in the loosest sense, since it'll just go to other Centipede volumes.
                                Powell's recently had a Hill House copy in stock. I was tempted.

Comment

Working...
                                X