Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Soooooo I'm sure everyone has seen this article already?

https://deadline.com/2019/08/the-sta...JYMcdeaQDPF4uc

If you haven't I'll tell you it includes a tasty bit of info about the upcoming TV adaptation of THE STAND. It seems King has WRITTEN SOMETHING NEW--a CODA--for the final episode.

And so I got to thinking that there's this publisher who is going to be doing an new edition of this book and we're over a year away from actually seeing this book so MAYBE this new coda might perhaps maybe find its way into the book? Possibly? I'll be your friend!
    As long as it does not end with society being rebuilt and a man escaping a government facility as a catastrophe unfolds.

Comment

Soooooo I'm sure everyone has seen this article already?

https://deadline.com/2019/08/the-sta...JYMcdeaQDPF4uc

If you haven't I'll tell you it includes a tasty bit of info about the upcoming TV adaptation of THE STAND. It seems King has WRITTEN SOMETHING NEW--a CODA--for the final episode.

And so I got to thinking that there's this publisher who is going to be doing an new edition of this book and we're over a year away from actually seeing this book so MAYBE this new coda might perhaps maybe find its way into the book? Possibly? I'll be your friend!
      I hope they don't...having seen King's political hysteria on Twitter over the last few years, I'd be concerned that it'll be some sort of hyperbolic, cautionary coda that'll devolve a book that to my mind is one of the genre's best works -- compelling entertainment, if not, in fact, high art -- into a self-indulgent political message. From what I understand from reviews (I've not read anything new from him since 2013's disappointing DOCTOR SLEEP (though THE OUTSIDER almost got me)), he's already played around the anti-Trump political edges with his last couple of books, so I don't think it's a stretch to think he'd take the opportunity to do same with THE STAND, his book about a mad leader (Flagg) and the end of rational civilization...I'd almost be more surprised if he didn't.

Btw, Dan, hope this doesn't push the envelope on your wise No Politics forum policy...I'm not making a political statement whatsoever, just trying to make a point instead on the creative process and how a writer's personal sociopolitical views influence -- and can even undermine -- the creative process.
      Last edited by RonClinton; 08-02-2019, 08:06 PM.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I hope they don't...having seen King's political hysteria on Twitter over the last few years, I'd be concerned that it'll be some sort of hyperbolic, cautionary coda that'll devolve a book that to my mind is one of the genre's best works -- compelling entertainment, if not, in fact, high art -- into a self-indulgent political message. From what I understand from reviews (I've not read anything new from him since 2013's disappointing DOCTOR SLEEP (though THE OUTSIDER almost got me)), he's already played around the anti-Trump political edges with his last couple of books, so I don't think it's a stretch to think he'd take the opportunity to do same with THE STAND, his book about a mad leader (Flagg) and the end of rational civilization...I'd almost be more surprised if he didn't.

Btw, Dan, hope this doesn't push the envelope on your wise No Politics forum policy...I'm not making a political statement whatsoever, just trying to make a point instead on the creative process and how a writer's personal sociopolitical views influence -- and can even undermine -- the creative process.
        Nah it's fine.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Elevation got the rap for being too political but I didn't see it. I was sceptical reading it and when I did I didn't see that it was. I like The Stand and how it ended. Not sure I'd want anymore added. If it is I probably will read it eventually. I also look at it as it's the writers work and if he wants to expand it be can do whatever he wants with it. But I do understand what you are saying

Comment

SLEEPING BEAUTIES, too, apparently.

Comment

Correct. But I just read right through that mess. It is odd that anyone would inject that stuff into the narrative when it seems not to have purpose towards the story. The thing that bugs me more than that is the use of dialectical sayings/phrases and obscure words. The negative in this is that it takes me out of the story for a few beats while my brain processes these things.

The one good thing I can say about using odd words is that it forces me to expand my vocabulary.

SLEEPING BEAUTIES, too, apparently.
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                Correct. But I just read right through that mess. It is odd that anyone would inject that stuff into the narrative when it seems not to have purpose towards the story.
                Those with political opinions that border on the hysterical and hyperbolic and snarky (on either end of the political spectrum) seem to find it impossible to reign it in, regardless of its veracity or usefulness, when given a platform to express themselves. Hence my earlier concern about THE STAND.

Comment

Those with political opinions that border on the hysterical and hyperbolic and snarky (on either end of the political spectrum) seem to find it impossible to reign it in, regardless of its veracity or usefulness, when given a platform to express themselves. Hence my earlier concern about THE STAND.
                  Yeah, I really don't know what's different about it now than it's been in the past. Because King has always worked his political ideology into his books. Maybe he did it in a more subtle or honest way. I'm re-reading Tommyknockers and one of the main characters, Gard, is a wild left wing anti-nuclear protester poet. But it's important to the story And he's a flawed guy so it's not just pure righteous left-wing revenge on King's part. It seems there are parts in later books that are just King taking jabs at his ideological opponents. And those are annoying. Duma Key and Cell and Under the Dome are just a few that come to mind.

Sleeping Beauties was not nearly as "bad" as some would have us believe. Yes, it does paint EVERY MAN as a horror to women. It goes on to describe how awful one guy is to buy a backyard pool without consulting his wife first. HORROR! That's a pretty lame example of an abusive relationship. SO it can be ridiculous in parts. But the story is fun and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Comment

Well, the CD thread over on TDT sure turned into a shit show.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                      Well, the CD thread over on TDT sure turned into a shit show.
                      You're not kidding. All of that could have been handled a lot better by everyone. But then it wouldn't have been so entertaining.

Comment

I like it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                          I like it here.
                          Me too! In fact, I don't ever go "over there" unless it's mentioned here on the CD forum and I take a peek out of curiosity. It doesn't seem like a very friendly place.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                            Me too! In fact, I don't ever go "over there" unless it's mentioned here on the CD forum and I take a peek out of curiosity. It doesn't seem like a very friendly place.
                            I think people on that forum see TDT as the high stakes blackjack table where all the heavy-hitters gather to place their $150 minimum bets. They see this one as the $5 minimum table.

Or simply, they see that as the adult table and this as the kiddie table.

Of course none of that is true. And there are a lot of great people there. But the angry egos are so damn loud.

In this particular blow-up, I think knightmare didn't have to make his case as forcefully as he did. He may have had a point, but he decided to be a lightning rod instead.

Comment

It can be very friendly. I had many good years over there. Loved the place.

I just didn't like the unchecked political talk. That is why I left.

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post

Comment

This is true as well. If you want to be amongst some of the bigger SK collectors that is the place to be. There is a wealth of information available over there with many knowledgeable people.

I think people on that forum see TDT as the high stakes blackjack table where all the heavy-hitters gather to place their $150 minimum bets. They see this one as the $5 minimum table.

Or simply, they see that as the adult table and this as the kiddie table.

Comment

Working...
                                X