No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished reading Boy's Life and I loved it! All the characters resonate with vitality and authenticity, the town Zephyr seems like a place I have been many times before and I am undone by how simply, beautiful and well written it is. This is the second McCammon book I've read, the first being the excellent Mine. Next up will be the Mathew Corbett series

Comment

Boy's Life is my absolute McCammon favorite.
      His Matthew Corbett series -four books so far- is very well done.
      The first one's a bit slow, but well worth reading.
      The other three are pretty fast reading.

sk

I just noticed I'm repeating myself here....

Comment

Well, my month of reading goodread wins ended badly as it took me more than two weeks to get through The Great Succession Crisis--it made me not want to read anymore. So I only made it through 7 books. So now, it's time for NOS4A2. Need to cheer myself up!
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I started Flatland, which I thought would be an interesting read. Unfortunately - I could get very much into it. Maybe it's the writing style (written around late 1800's I believe), or just the story isn't what I expected. I may revisit at another time though. Very rarely do I find a book (e-book in this case) that I cannot at least carry on past a certain section.

Next up for me is The Stickmen by Ed Lee - hopefully better than Teratologist, and from what I have read, it is not even in that category really.

Comment

I finally finished reading The Fog by James Herbert. I kept getting delayed as work has picked up lately and I am moving on the first of June. I have to say it is a rather enjoyable book. it starts out rather vicious and shocking, and only lets up it's unrelenting pace slightly. It's a good mix of a horror novel and a disaster thriller. The characters in the book are interesting, either minor or major character, in a way that they don't feel like they are good or bad, just people with complex lives and personalities stuck in a horrible mind shattering situation. Even Holman the main character doesn't come across as a squeaky clean hero. Overall a good book.

Gonna have a quick read of Tom Piccirilli's Walls of the Castle next.

Comment

I must say The Stickmen is quite a good read so far. Not very far into it (6%), but it starts off by getting into some action right off the get go - which is, of course, a good thing!

The only problem is, I have to stop forcing myself to read when I'm really tired. I will doze off, and then realize I forgot what I had just read, so have to backtrack a bit to get a grip on what I missed in my sleepy fog.

Comment

Haven't posted what I am reading in a while. Finished up NOS4A2 a while back (loved it) and have read Homestead (Good Story but a bit to predictable) and Weak an Wounded (Love every story in this one) recently. I am now happy to report that I am about 20 pages into Joyland.

Comment

I'm having a hard time getting in to NOS4A2 (5 days and I'm only on page 77). But Joyland come out today and Lucian Poll sent me a copy of The Floors to test read. I've got options.
                  Last edited by srboone; 06-04-2013, 08:12 AM.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I'm now reading The Floors to try and be of some help to Lucian. Recently read The Genesis Code by Lisa Von Biela, and highly recommend it if you like or are interested in Techno Thrillers.
                    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                    Spoiler!

Comment

NOS4A2 had me from the first chapter. I am about halfway through Joyland and am loving it.
                      Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      I'm having a hard time getting in to NOS4A2 (5 days and I'm only on page 77). But Joyland come out today and Lucian Poll sent me a copy of The Floors to test read. I've got options.

Comment

Much obliged, guys, thanks!

I picked up NOS4R2 yesterday, but I've got a truckload of recent and not-so recent book-buying to tackle, including, but by no means limited to:
                        - the entire Dark Tower series (yes, really!);
                        - the entire run of A Song of Ice and Fire (as it currently stands - no Game of Thrones spoilers, please. My set-top box failed to record the series after episode one! ARGH!);
                        - the Dog Faced Gods trilogy by Sarah Pinborough;
                        - the first four Sandman Slim books (in cool hardcovers - I'll add them to the collection thread in due course);
                        - other shameful gaps in my King reading (The Stand? IT? It was a tough ask to read these in a week, Bowburn Library!);
                        and a ton of novels from authors attending WFC2013.

I'd add them all to Goodreads but I'd probably wind up breaking the site.

So, given the blissful horrortopia above, I think I'll open up The Strange Affair of Springheeled Jack by Mark Hodder.

Good times!
                        The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                        Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                        ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          NOS4A2 had me from the first chapter
                          I know what you mean, This being my first Joe Hill book, I found it compulsively readable and inhaled it in a week.

Comment

You must read some more. Horns and Heart Shaped box are both good novels. My favorite Hill story is Locke & Key! 20th Century Ghosts is a great collection as well.
                            Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                            I know what you mean, This being my first Joe Hill book, I found it compulsively readable and inhaled it in a week.

Comment

I have Horns and a Heart-Shaped Box ARC ready to go, I just started Speaks the Nightbird by Mccammon so it might be a little while though

Comment

I really have to get me some Hill books. However, I have lots to keep me busy for a while. After The Stickmen, I will likely tackle Hyperion or Embassytown.

Comment

Working...
                                X