No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished The Watching. Entertaining and creepy. A nice, quick read. Starting Urshurak by the Brothers Hildebrandt. Never thought I'd actually read it, but Pete convinced to put it on my TBR.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      Finished The Watching. Entertaining and creepy. A nice, quick read. Starting Urshurak by the Brothers Hildebrandt. Never thought I'd actually read it, but Pete convinced to put it on my TBR.
      Lazers and high fivin' Moses! Nice. Let us know how it is.

Comment

sk

Comment

sk

Comment

I think I may have idly wondered what 3rd rate fantasy was like at some point in my life (though I can't be sure), and now I know! It's name is Urshurak. Tolkien took 300+ pages to get to Rivendell; Brooks took 200 to get to Culhaven; Donaldson took about the same to get to Revelstone. All for councils that ended in a decision about "The Quest". Urshurak takes 12 pages. In those twelve pages, I was introduced to nearly 20 characters, five different races, and given a tour of 5 different areas of the continent of Urshurak. Plus a history lesson in Elvgard (the sword of the White Elves), the Crownhelm (the symbol of the King of the White Elves...I think), and the Prophecy for the Day of Fulfillment. All packed into a scenario in which an archer tracks down a pack of wild man/rat creatures that killed his family, saving the Crown Prince of the White Elves in the process.

Now that my mind had somewhat grasped all that's going on, I'm cruising right along in Urshurak, as wretched and laughable as it is. Beautiful artwork, tho. There's a reason I'd never heard of this book until I found it in a used books store...
            Last edited by srboone; 03-27-2012, 09:59 PM.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

113 pages into weaveworld.I have to say I like it for the most part I like it so far.Barker always seems to leave me hating his stuff or loving his stuff.This is the first book that I have read of his that so far I can not say 100% if I like or dislike.Stuck in the middle.Will keep you posted as I continue.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                I think I may have idly wondered what 3rd rate fantasy was like at some point in my life (though I can't be sure), and now I know! It's name is Urshurak. Tolkien took 300+ pages to get to Rivendell; Brooks took 200 to get to Culhaven; Donaldson took about the same to get to Revelstone. All for councils that ended in a decision about "The Quest". Urshurak takes 12 pages. In those twelve pages, I was introduced to nearly 20 characters, five different races, and given a tour of 5 different areas of the continent of Urshurak. Plus a history lesson in Elvgard (the sword of the White Elves), the Crownhelm (the symbol of the King of the White Elves...I think), and the Prophecy for the Day of Fulfillment. All packed into a scenario in which an archer tracks down a pack of wild man/rat creatures that killed his family, saving the Crown Prince of the White Elves in the process.

Now that my mind had somewhat grasped all that's going on, I'm cruising right along in Urshurak, as wretched and laughable as it is. Beautiful artwork, tho. There's a reason I'd never heard of this book until I found it in a used books store...
                And here I was hoping that this would become a new classic in the genre...

Comment

But I haven't gotten to the Amazons (not Egyptians) with lasers, yet! There's still hope for the "so bad, it's good" label!
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Reading A Clash of Kings. Somewhere in this thread someone else stated they were reading this and they noted "a lack of clashing" if I remember correctly. When I read that I thought it was funny, now I see what they meant. I am truly enjoying the book I just think it's funny that it was an apt description.

Comment

The Damned by William Ollie. Just discovered him and so far this story is coming along pretty darn good! Apparently The Rapture has happened and this is post apocalyptic scenario. Pretty bleak, grim, and gory! Which equals very cool

Comment

Ok what am I missing???? Over half way through weaveworld and I don't know if I can finish it.Tons of people love this book.I just can't see it.I loved Everville and The Great and Secret Show even Books of Blood.I loved Thief of Always one of my favorites.But HELP me understand what I'm missing in this book.

Comment

BALEFIRES by David Drake

Excellent, so far. Short stories.
                          Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            Ok what am I missing???? Over half way through weaveworld and I don't know if I can finish it.Tons of people love this book.I just can't see it.I loved Everville and The Great and Secret Show even Books of Blood.I loved Thief of Always one of my favorites.But HELP me understand what I'm missing in this book.
                            Sorry. Started it it myself and never finished it....
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I just googled It. Heres where just the plot description lost me, "The novel revolves around the world of the Fugue, a magical world which lies woven within a rug." Its the first sentence in the description by the way. lol

Comment

Yea it is like Alice in wonderland except through the rug instead of the looking glass.Alice was better.ugh!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X