No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished Weir’s new one, HAIL MARY, and found it largely disappointing....engaging enough to complete it, but it’s my least favorite of his three novels. On a scale of 1 to 10: THE MARTIAN: 9; ARTEMIS: 7; HAIL MARY: 6.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

That's a bummer Ron. It seemed like quite a few people were enjoying PHM A LOT.

Last night I finished a Jack Reacher book - I forget which one - they all kind of blur - and was really hoping the library had an eBook version of PHM but alas, I'm only #138 of 24 copies. I mean I do own two physical copies but I've been enjoying the hell out of my new Kindle Oasis that my wife bought me "just because."

So instead I grabbed Blacktop Wasteland and the third Lady Astronaut book from Mary Robinette Kowal - The Relentless Moon. I decided on Blacktop Wasteland first. So far I'm enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        That's a bummer Ron. It seemed like quite a few people were enjoying PHM A LOT.

Last night I finished a Jack Reacher book - I forget which one - they all kind of blur - and was really hoping the library had an eBook version of PHM but alas, I'm only #138 of 24 copies. I mean I do own two physical copies but I've been enjoying the hell out of my new Kindle Oasis that my wife bought me "just because."

So instead I grabbed Blacktop Wasteland and the third Lady Astronaut book from Mary Robinette Kowal - The Relentless Moon. I decided on Blacktop Wasteland first. So far I'm enjoying it.
        You can count me in the group that enjoyed Project Hail Mary. I would put it slightly below The Martian and much better that Artemis.

Comment

I finished WOUNDS by Nathan Ballingrud today, I was initially drawn to the collection because of the movie WOUNDS that’s based on one of the stories, “The Visible Filth”. The really enjoyed the movie so had high hopes.

I really liked this collection. Ballingrud’s world building is up there with Barker’s. Each story felt as if there was the reader is only grasping the frayed edges of its world, hinting at so much that is not being shown or explained. A dark and fantastic read. I need to pick up his other collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            I finished WOUNDS by Nathan Ballingrud today, I was initially drawn to the collection because of the movie WOUNDS that’s based on one of the stories, “The Visible Filth”. The really enjoyed the movie so had high hopes.

I really liked this collection. Ballingrud’s world building is up there with Barker’s. Each story felt as if there was the reader is only grasping the frayed edges of its world, hinting at so much that is not being shown or explained. A dark and fantastic read. I need to pick up his other collection.
            I have Wounds in my TBR pile and really need to bump it up.

North American Lake Monsters was an excellent collection.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I have Wounds in my TBR pile and really need to bump it up.

North American Lake Monsters was an excellent collection.

B
              I’m chomping at the bit to read LAKE MONSTERS but my sensible side is looking at all the books in the TBR pile and saying I need to get through those first. Once you read WOUNDS I’d love to hear your thoughts.
              Last edited by Sock Monkey; 06-06-2021, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Currently reading Joe R. Lansdale's 'Jane Goes North'. This is a strange little story about two strangers traveling together to each be able to afford the trip. It is really a strange tale but about 30% in I am loving the journey. Lansdale can entertain me with the most mundane stories, just a brilliant writer!

Comment

I'm reading....Replay Ken Grimwood. I didn't spring for the Suntup Press edition, but I found a Nice reasonably priced first edition. I think it's eerily that the book opens with a heart attack and he passed away from a heart attack at the age of 59.

Comment

I read Replay a little while ago (after the discussions here) and loved it. I also bought a first Trade. Not even close to springing for a Suntup version though.

And Martin, I feel the same way about Joe Lansdale. I have so many of his books and so little time to read them all. I just read Zeppelins West the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have the three slipcased volumes from Sub Press. Jane goes North is in the queue along with lots of others.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                      I read Replay a little while ago (after the discussions here) and loved it. I also bought a first Trade. Not even close to springing for a Suntup version though.

And Martin, I feel the same way about Joe Lansdale. I have so many of his books and so little time to read them all. I just read Zeppelins West the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have the three slipcased volumes from Sub Press. Jane goes North is in the queue along with lots of others.
                      Finished Lansdale's 'Jane Goes' North a couple of days ago and I absolutely loved it. It is one of those rare stories that I wish could forget so I could experience reading it for the first time again. Had the buddy tales of Hap and Leonard but the story line was completely unique. I really want more stories with Jane and Henry, the story has a good ending but I want to know what happens next.

Started Owen King's Little book. Read the Fiction and Review sections and am enjoying it so far. The fiction was interesting, not great but enjoyable. The review were well written and interesting. I will say that I am glad they are not books in my TBR as the reviews are NOT spoiler free.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Finished Lansdale's 'Jane Goes' North a couple of days ago and I absolutely loved it. It is one of those rare stories that I wish could forget so I could experience reading it for the first time again. Had the buddy tales of Hap and Leonard but the story line was completely unique. I really want more stories with Jane and Henry, the story has a good ending but I want to know what happens next.

Started Owen King's Little book. Read the Fiction and Review sections and am enjoying it so far. The fiction was interesting, not great but enjoyable. The review were well written and interesting. I will say that I am glad they are not books in my TBR as the reviews are NOT spoiler free.
                        I had passed on Jane Goes North, but your review makes me think I made the wrong choice. I should know better than to pass on Lansdale.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I had passed on Jane Goes North, but your review makes me think I made the wrong choice. I should know better than to pass on Lansdale.
                          I passed as well and then received it in a grab bag. I also received 'The Sky Done Ripped' in the same grab bag. I am debating that one as I believe it is part of a series and I am not sure if I should read it from the start. Since I have it I will probably just read this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I passed as well and then received it in a grab bag. I also received 'The Sky Done Ripped' in the same grab bag. I am debating that one as I believe it is part of a series and I am not sure if I should read it from the start. Since I have it I will probably just read this one.
                            Nice grab bag items. I also passed on Sky as Lansdale’s more bizarro stuff doesn’t always connect with me as well as his other fiction does.

Comment

Books read and recommended for May, 2021.

Hard cover -

1. Patterns of Chaos by Lucas Mangum from Thunderstorm. Collects 4 novellas. All good. One especially powerful.

2. Richard Laymon's Midnight's Lair Special Definitive Edition from DRP. Fantastic. I love Laymon. Never read this one before so was special fun.

3. Cold Dead Hands by Jeff Strand from Cemetery Dance. A page-turner with hostages stuck in a grocery store freezer. It’s funny, scary and a thriller.

4. Where the Devil Waits by Wesley Southard & Mark Steensland from Thunderstorm. Good devil, zombie, crime thriller. A few unique twists help keep it going.

5. The Monster Maker and Other Stories by W. C. Morrow from Midnight House. Many good shorts here with a couple great ones.

6. The Shapes of Night by Mary SanGiovanni from Thunderstorm. SanGiovanni never disappoints. Many nightmares found here.

Paperback -

7. Stories For the Next Pandemic by Brian Keene from Thunderstorm. Keene writes great short stories and the story notes are awesome. Love it.

8. Hardcore Kelli by Wrath James White from Cemetery Dance. Another violent page-turner from this pro.

Favorites = #1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Support Indie Publishers and Enjoy

Comment

I'm reading Red Hands by Christopher Golden and the Transmetropolitan comic series.

Comment

Working...
                                X