No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started Muse by James Renner last night. Cemetery Dance is generally very good at proof reading before publication. This one appears to be the exception. It starts with what I believe is an editing error. A private investigator is offered a job and told he will be paid $20,000. Literally in the same paragraph he is told they will pay him $3,000. That distracted me as I was trying to figure out what the $20,000 was for if they were paying him $3,000. In the first 25 pages there have been several typos as well. I generally notice typos but am able to quickly put them behind me. There are enough in the first 25 pages of the story to take me out of the story as I think about the typos including one where a word was used that does not make sense in the context it was used. I actually had to look that one up to see if it had a meaning I was unaware of. It did not and I really do not know what the sentence meant to say. The story has potential as long as the typo issues stop and I can get into the story without distractions.

Day two of reading this had no typos and I am really getting into the story.
    Last edited by Martin; 06-25-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Finished MURDER BY OTHER MEANS by Scalzi. Starting Elizabeth Engstrom’s NIGHTMARE FLOWER.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Finished MURDER BY OTHER MEANS by Scalzi. Starting Elizabeth Engstrom’s NIGHTMARE FLOWER.
        Did it hold up compared to The Dispatcher for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Did it hold up compared to The Dispatcher for you?
          I did kind of prefer the original volume. This one was interesting and largely satisfying, but it did seem to wear its straightforward mystery trappings a bit too tight...the original had more of a sci-fi construct that for me just made it more entertaining.

You?

Comment

I did kind of prefer the original volume. This one was interesting and largely satisfying, but it did seem to wear its straightforward mystery trappings a bit too tight...the original had more of a sci-fi construct that for me just made it more entertaining.

You?
            I completely agree with your assessment. Although I enjoyed the story it almost felt like it was trying to hard at times. I need some new Scalzi and am thinking about revisiting Old Man's War to hold me over.

Comment

I completely agree with your assessment. Although I enjoyed the story it almost felt like it was trying to hard at times. I need some new Scalzi and am thinking about revisiting Old Man's War to hold me over.
              I still haven’t started the Interdependency series (yet)...one, it’s the only Scalzi I haven’t read so am not in a rush to have to call it a day, and, two, it honestly doesn’t look as interesting as the OMW series (more space opera (not typically my thing), less Heinlein) and at first blush looks unnecessarily complex...just don’t want to end on a sour note after being disappointed not too long ago by the LOCK IN duo. What did you think of the Interdependency trilogy?

Comment

I still haven’t started the Interdependency series (yet)...one, it’s the only Scalzi I haven’t read so am not in a rush to have to call it a day, and, two, it honestly doesn’t look as interesting as the OMW series (more space opera (not typically my thing), less Heinlein) and at first blush looks unnecessarily complex...just don’t want to end on a sour note after being disappointed not too long ago by the LOCK IN duo. What did you think of the Interdependency trilogy?
                I read the first book in that series before reading Old Man's War. I enjoyed it but now having read the full Old Man's War series it really is several notches below it. So I guess my opinion would be that they are entertaining but in the end forgettable.

Comment

I read the first book in that series before reading Old Man's War. I enjoyed it but now having read the full Old Man's War series it really is several notches below it. So I guess my opinion would be that they are entertaining but in the end forgettable.
                  Yeah, that’s kind of what I was afraid of. Think I’ll continue to hold off, and will just await his new book scheduled for next year.

Comment

Finished Sunblind by Michael McBride last night.

A really dark piece, where the real horrors at times exceed the supernatural horrors.

One of McBride's best.

After that, started Transmissions From Punktown, ed. by Brian Sammons.

Only two stories in so far, but enjoyed them both (the first by Thomas, the second by Paul Tremblay).

B

Comment

Recently finished my Tolkien re-read of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, & The Silmarillion. Took me awhile, but, as always, they were each amazing. In the past, I have struggled a bit to get through The Silmarillion; however, this time around, the book just clicked for me and I found myself enjoying it more than I ever have. The Silmarillion is probably an unfilmable book; however, I would love to see what someone who appreciates the material could do with it as a prestige multi-season tv series.

Also finished A Fine Dark Line by Joe Lansdale. Recently picked-up the limited edition version from SubPress and decided to give it a read. Am glad I did as I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this novel. Originally read it when it was first published as a trade edition. Lansdale is one of those authors who can work magic with coming of age stories. Strongly recommend this book.

Am currently reading Joe Lansdale's newest novel, Moon Lake. Am only about 50 pages in, but, so far, so good. Definitely has that Lansdale voice to it.

Comment

Just finished Joe Lansdale's "Moon Lake". I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Could have finished it in one sitting; however, I forced myself to slow down because I didn't want to let go of the characters that soon and because I wanted to delay that bittersweet feeling of knowing that I just finished an amazing story and would not get to spend any more time in that world. A definite five-star read for me!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                          Just finished Joe Lansdale's "Moon Lake". I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Could have finished it in one sitting; however, I forced myself to slow down because I didn't want to let go of the characters that soon and because I wanted to delay that bittersweet feeling of knowing that I just finished an amazing story and would not get to spend any more time in that world. A definite five-star read for me!
                          Good to hear...that one will likely be my next book after the one I just started.

Comment

Finished Westlake Soul from Rio Youers. Fantastic book! I also see why Owen King wrote the intro for SST. The book felt like an Owen King story at points.

Comment

Finished Westlake Soul from Rio Youers. Fantastic book! I also see why Owen King wrote the intro for SST. The book felt like an Owen King story at points.
                              That one was a miss for me. I wanted to love it and I gave it every chance, but it felt like a YA novel. I couldn't finish it. I was really bummed.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

That one was a miss for me. I wanted to love it and I gave it every chance, but it felt like a YA novel. I couldn't finish it. I was really bummed.
                                I loved it and will be returning to it multiple times.

Comment

Working...
                                X