No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was me - it's one of my favorite books. I just have a random paperback copy (it's a nice one at least, but has gone backpacking with me before so it's not a collectible by any means.)

I would love some sort of deluxe edition of WD, and I have looked the one you've posted but just never pulled that trigger before. Maybe a visit to Abes and/or eBay is on the horizon today. (Wonder if I can convince my wife to watch the animated film . . .)

Thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Someone mentioned Watership Down. Thought I'd share photos of my copy. It is a sweet little book, well put together with a nice slipcase and wonderful illustrations by John Lawrence. Not an expensive book, but one I'm proud to own.....

Comment

I'm still reading All the Good Indians. Kind of slow goings since I manage at most 10 pages a night before bed.

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
      I have a copy of it, but I've never read Watership Down.

Need to rectify that sometime in the near future.

B
      It's one of my favorite books. And don't be fooled by the premise of a book full of talking rabbits - it's not a cute story and is actually quite horrific at times. And the movie from the 70s is a perfect example that animation is a medium and not a genre (omg it's a cartoon and there's blood - think of the children!)

As a side note - I haven't seen the new CGI version - it just didn't look very good.

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
      Finished The Silence by Tim Lebbon. Liked this one alot. Some very emotional, hard-hitting passage in this one.

B
      I'm excited to get this one. My copy from SST is on its way from CD (might actually be here tomorrow?) but who knows when I'll get through it.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        That was me - it's one of my favorite books. I just have a random paperback copy (it's a nice one at least, but has gone backpacking with me before so it's not a collectible by any means.)

I would love some sort of deluxe edition of WD, and I have looked the one you've posted but just never pulled that trigger before. Maybe a visit to Abes and/or eBay is on the horizon today. (Wonder if I can convince my wife to watch the animated film . . .)

Thanks for sharing!

My wife was watching it the other day but I've never seen the whole thing through nor read the book.

Comment

Found the copy of Watership Down I want. But damn, the checking account can't handle it right now. Or later. Or ever.

Wife: Tell me again why we can't buy a house?
          Me: Rabbits

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

My wife was watching it the other day but I've never seen the whole thing through nor read the book.
          Any idea which version she was watching?

Comment

Found the copy of Watership Down I want. But damn, the checking account can't handle it right now. Or later. Or ever.

That made me laugh about house lol. I'm not sure how many are out there but she was watching an animated version. It was on while I was doing other stuff.
            Last edited by Brian861; 08-23-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I really suggest waiting for The much hoped for Centipede Press edition, and get a house LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I really suggest waiting for The much hoped for Centipede Press edition, and get a house LOL!!!
                If there's a CP edition of WD SIGN ME UP NOW! Jerad lives down the road (relatively speaking) and I have a tent and have no issue camping out waiting for this.

Comment

Me and you both!! Fingers are crossed but for next year, I'm already postponing retirement.
                  Wife: Why can't we go see the kids more often?
                  Me: centipede Press LOL!!

Comment

The last couple reads: MALORIE by Josh Malerman (enjoyed it but there were some plot issues which should have addressed), HE STARTED IT by Samantha Downing, THE PAIIENT by Jasper Dewitt (a short effective horror novel that makes me want to see what he writes next), THE HOLLOW ONES by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan (a good read which reminds me of Preston/Child’s Pendergast novel except with more of a dark fantasy vibe).

Currently reading THE END OF OCTOBER by Lawrence Wright. A global pandemic novel that is very compelling and worth your time.

Jim

Comment

If there's a CP edition of WD SIGN ME UP NOW! Jerad lives down the road (relatively speaking) and I have a tent and have no issue camping out waiting for this.
                      If you buy this edition before the house; you might just end up in that tent

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

If you buy this edition before the house; you might just end up in that tent
                        It's a two person backpacking tent - in other words, it fits one person . . .

Comment

It's a two person backpacking tent - in other words, it fits one person . . .
                          LOL!

Comment

Just finished Romero's/Kraus' "The Living Dead". Liked it a lot, but, didn't love it. A bit reminiscent of World-War-Z except from a purely U.S. perspective. Liked the mix of five or six main characters that were focused upon; however, I wish there had been an overall wider focus to the novel than what was presented. I also think I was expecting a bit more action/brutality and for things to be tied up/explained a bit more. Didn't really care for the time jumps in the novel and would have liked to read about what happened during those periods; however, I'm sure they were hoping to avoid having an already large book turn gargantuan. I also felt that some of the mcguffins in the novel were a bit silly/illogical. All that being said, it still ended up being a solid zombie novel with some very memorable scenes. Would make for a pretty cool tv series or mini-series. Overall, I would recommend this novel if you enjoy zombie fiction; however, if it were offered in a limited edition, I would probably pass and stick with the trade edition I own.

Comment

Finished up Fearful Symmetries ed. by Ellen Datlow, which was a pretty solid anthology.

Next read Scavenger Summer by Steven Savile, which went in a direction I was not expecting at all, basically an ode to Jack Finney's The Body Snatchers.

Plan to start the Sarah Pinborough Little Book when I get off the computer.

B

Comment

Just finished Joe Hill's "Full Throttle". Definitely enjoyed it but thought his first collection was a bit stronger. My favorite stories in "Full Throttle" were the Introduction as well as the last two: "In the Tall Grass" and "You Are Released." I also enjoyed the story notes at the end of the book. Love when authors are willing to share story notes in short story collections. I think my next read will be Max Booth III's "Touch the Night". Picked-up a copy from CD when it was released and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. This will be my first read from Mr. Booth. The synopsis sounds cool. Hope it is as strong as the reviews.

Comment

Working...
                                X