What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Loved Duma Key. I have never read The Children of Men but did see the movie and am interested in the book. Would love your views when you finish reading it.
    Finished The Children of Men and it is one of those rare cases where I actually thought the film was better.

The first half of the novel is a combination of world building and diary entries. I didn't really care for the protagonist's diary entries about growing up with his cousin. The world is very much an Orwellian dystopia, albeit without the ability to have children.

The second half of the novel was where the film drew inspiration (someone becoming pregnant and them being on the run). It was a VERY good read for that half.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

Finished The Children of Men and it is one of those rare cases where I actually thought the film was better.

The first half of the novel is a combination of world building and diary entries. I didn't really care for the protagonist's diary entries about growing up with his cousin. The world is very much an Orwellian dystopia, albeit without the ability to have children.

The second half of the novel was where the film drew inspiration (someone becoming pregnant and them being on the run). It was a VERY good read for that half.
      Thanks for the input. I may someday get around to reading it.

Comment

Just read Until Summer Comes Around by Glenn Rolfe. It was a quick and very enjoyable book. Now I'm reading Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. About 60 pages in. A slow burn but I am enjoying it so far
        Last edited by bookworm 1; 07-14-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Reading Jeff Strand’s THE ODDS...loving it, incredibly tense and entertaining. Will finish it tonight after starting it last night...I haven’t read a book this compelling and fun for a good long while.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I've got to get back to reading Jeff Strand. He's a good writer.
            Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
            Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I just started the new prequel to the Hunger Games. Read the new Paul Tremblay, Survivor Song in 3 hours on Sunday. Getting ready to read 1968 Marvel.

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
                I've got to get back to reading Jeff Strand. He's a good writer.
                THE ODDS would be a great place to return...reminded me of the earlier PRESSURE and the recent MY PRETTIES -- dark, tense, and violent, with somewhat less humor than his more comedic horror releases.

I'm reading Srand's new one, ALLISON, right now...only a few pages in, but early vibes are good.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

THE ODDS would be a great place to return...reminded me of the earlier PRESSURE and the recent MY PRETTIES -- dark, tense, and violent, with somewhat less humor than his more comedic horror releases.

I'm reading Srand's new one, ALLISON, right now...only a few pages in, but early vibes are good.
                  Good to know. I have My Pretties in my tbr . Might have to move it up. If you haven't read any J.A. Konrath I recommend him. For awhile I thought that was a pen name for Strand of vise versa. The write so similar.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Good to know. I have My Pretties in my tbr . Might have to move it up. If you haven't read any J.A. Konrath I recommend him. For awhile I thought that was a pen name for Strand of vise versa. The write so similar.
                    I have read two of his works -- one was a chapbook HC co-written with Strand entitled SUCKERS, and the solo one was AFRAID, which I really liked...after AFRAID I was intending to read more of his stuff and then got distracted. Thanks for the reminder -- I really need to read more by him. Any particular suggestions? I don't really want to get into a series right now (Jack Daniels is, I think, the series name...?), but any standalones like AFRAID would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I have read two of his works -- one was a chapbook HC co-written with Strand entitled SUCKERS, and the solo one was AFRAID, which I really liked...after AFRAID I was intending to read more of his stuff and then got distracted. Thanks for the reminder -- I really need to read more by him. Any particular suggestions? I don't really want to get into a series right now (Jack Daniels is, I think, the series name...?), but any standalones like AFRAID would be great.
                      Have you read Draculas ? Another one he co-wrote with Strand and F. Paul Wilson. It's bazaar. Also just read about a month ago his latest or one of his latest What Happened To Lori. Trapped is a good one as well.
                      Almost forgot that Blake Crouch also was involved in Draculas

Comment

Currently about two thirds of the way through The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. So far it seems like a great science fiction story, and I'm already looking forward to getting to the next 2 books in the trilogy.
                        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                          Currently about two thirds of the way through The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. So far it seems like a great science fiction story, and I'm already looking forward to getting to the next 2 books in the trilogy.
                          The Collapsing Empire was a typically fun romp through space with Scalzi. I enjoyed the trilogy but probably liked the first book the best.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Have you read Draculas ? Another one he co-wrote with Strand and F. Paul Wilson. It's bazaar. Also just read about a month ago his latest or one of his latest What Happened To Lori. Trapped is a good one as well.
                            Almost forgot that Blake Crouch also was involved in Draculas
                            I have read DRACULAS, yes...it was pretty good, as I recall. I’ve looked at TRAPPED before, so, thanks for the rec, I think I’ll give that one a shot.

Comment

I just finished THIS DARK CHEST OF WONDERS, which was a fun dip into all of the different permutations of THE STAND, The typos got a little out of hand the farther into the book I got. I lost count of how many times KOJAK was spelled KOJACK, and seeing "THE KID" alphabetized under "THE", instead of "KID, THE" actually gave me pain. My inner proofreader dies each time I see something like that make a finished book.
                              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Finished The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay last night. Still digesting that one. Definitely not as good as Head Full of Ghosts, but I also didn't think it was as bad as most of the reviews I've read made it out to be.

Started The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Vol. 3. I enjoyed the first two, so high hopes for this one.

B.

Comment

Working...
                                X