What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khaos View Post
    I just finished The Bottoms by Joe R Lansdale. Now reading Carpenter's Farm by Josh Malerman. Also a large reading project I may not finish for years. Started reading every super hero Marvel comic with 1961 and am up to 1966. I have a lot more to go.
    The Bottoms is such a good book!

And, holy crap, that’s a massive comic book reading project! I’ve toyed with a lot smaller ideas (Peter David’s run on The Incredible Hulk, Claremont’s X-Men run, All Superman books Post-Crisis through New 52 launch), but nothing of that scope. How are you tracking everything and what format (original floppies, trade paperbacks, electronic versions)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

And, holy crap, that’s a massive comic book reading project! I’ve toyed with a lot smaller ideas (Peter David’s run on The Incredible Hulk, Claremont’s X-Men run, All Superman books Post-Crisis through New 52 launch), but nothing of that scope. How are you tracking everything and what format (original floppies, trade paperbacks, electronic versions)?
      All digital. Currently I'm keeping track with paper and Goodreads. Before I just let my app I use to read keep track of where I was at. But I've switched devices and OS versions a few times so I needed something else. Sadly some stuff isn't on Goodreads. Goodreads is hit or miss for comics. More popular stuff is listed as comics and collections. Less popular sometimes just collections. And some not at all and if I have time I add them. This isn't my only comic reading project either. Earlier in the year I read the whole Marvel GI Joe run. I was reading through Batman from 1986 on and need to get back to it. I was reading all DC post 52 but when they merged back in I fell off. And I read a decent bit of current stuff. Mostly in the weird/horror genres.

Comment

All digital. Currently I'm keeping track with paper and Goodreads. Before I just let my app I use to read keep track of where I was at. But I've switched devices and OS versions a few times so I needed something else. Sadly some stuff isn't on Goodreads. Goodreads is hit or miss for comics. More popular stuff is listed as comics and collections. Less popular sometimes just collections. And some not at all and if I have time I add them. This isn't my only comic reading project either. Earlier in the year I read the whole Marvel GI Joe run. I was reading through Batman from 1986 on and need to get back to it. I was reading all DC post 52 but when they merged back in I fell off. And I read a decent bit of current stuff. Mostly in the weird/horror genres.
        I'm sure that digital is quite a bit cheaper than tracking down physical copies. I haven't jumped on the digital bandwagon yet, but that might be way to go since I'm not a diehard collector anymore. How did you like the Marvel GI JOE run? I'm assuming this it the one that Larry Hama wrote forever.

Comment

I'm sure that digital is quite a bit cheaper than tracking down physical copies. I haven't jumped on the digital bandwagon yet, but that might be way to go since I'm not a diehard collector anymore. How did you like the Marvel GI JOE run? I'm assuming this it the one that Larry Hama wrote forever.
          I love the GI Joe run. I read a bunch of it a kid and read the whole run 10+ years back. I still get the restart IDW puts out. Hama is still the writer and it's a carry on of the original story.

I'd rather read comics physical and in collections. Dealing with the bags when reading is just annoying. I don't mind digital reading for comics though. I wish my app was better. It sometimes won't switch pages right and sometimes messes up pages and I have to restart it. Digital is better for reading in large numbers too. I go through pretty fast as I'm a quick reader. And these old Marvel stories aren't the best. But I wanted to see what the old stories were like and read the original masters of the craft.

Comment

Just finished Ian Banks "Use of Weapons". Have never read this author but the book sounded interesting and I picked it up while SubPress had their sale. Got to say that I really enjoyed it. Was much more literary that I expected. Took a few chapters to get in the rhythm of the writer's style and what he was doing with the plot, but, once I did, I couldn't put it down. Am interested to know if the other "Culture" books read like this one or if they each have their own personality. If you like sophisticated sci-fi, this may be the book for you. Am now going to re-read F. Paul Wilson's "The Keep". Has been a while since I first read it. Picked-up limited edition Adversary Cycle set that was offered by Borderlands a while back and figured I should give them all a re-read before shelving them. I'm sure that once I get to "The Tomb" I may want/do a Repairman Jack re-read as well. We'll see...

Comment

I just plowed through a trio of Paul Tremblay:
              Head Full of Ghosts (Excellent)
              The Cabin at the End of the World (Excellent)
              Disappearance at Devil's Rock (Good)

I just started reading his stuff, and I am definitely hooked. He really knows how to close out a story. I decided to switch it up, and now I'm reading the 4th book of Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series. Liking this one so far.

Comment

Originally posted by mpbourja View Post
                I just plowed through a trio of Paul Tremblay:
                Head Full of Ghosts (Excellent)
                The Cabin at the End of the World (Excellent)
                Disappearance at Devil's Rock (Good)

I just started reading his stuff, and I am definitely hooked. He really knows how to close out a story. I decided to switch it up, and now I'm reading the 4th book of Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series. Liking this one so far.
                I have read Head Full of Ghosts and a couple of short stories and have really enjoyed them. At some point I will seek out more.

Comment

Love the Bottoms and Lansdale is really an interesting person. I'm finishing Morning Star currently. I'm not surprising anyone about the Red Rising series, but it's really great.

Comment

I love the GI Joe run. I read a bunch of it a kid and read the whole run 10+ years back. I still get the restart IDW puts out. Hama is still the writer and it's a carry on of the original story.

I'd rather read comics physical and in collections. Dealing with the bags when reading is just annoying. I don't mind digital reading for comics though. I wish my app was better. It sometimes won't switch pages right and sometimes messes up pages and I have to restart it. Digital is better for reading in large numbers too. I go through pretty fast as I'm a quick reader. And these old Marvel stories aren't the best. But I wanted to see what the old stories were like and read the original masters of the craft.
                    I didn’t know that Hama was still in the game. Makes me want to check out both the old and new series. I remember liking his run on WOLVERINE quite a bit.

Comment

Have one more story in the anthology Beneath the Waves: Tales from the Deep, which has been a pretty solid read. The last story is Clive Barker's 'The Madonna', which I would have read 30 some years ago when I read his Books of Blood series (Damn, I really need to reread them some day!)

B

Comment

Reading The Southern Book Club's Guid to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix. 132 pages in and this is a really fun book so far.

Comment

I didn’t know that Hama was still in the game. Makes me want to check out both the old and new series. I remember liking his run on WOLVERINE quite a bit.
                          I still love the Hama series GI Joe vs pretty much anything else IDW has tried and mostly failed with. They are kind of cheesy but I love that I can still read a story he started with characters that truly were the biggest part of my childhood.

Comment

I'm about halfway through IMAGINARY FRIEND by Stephen Chbosky (loved the first 150 pages or so, but at this point I'm starting to think I'll never finish it), just started THE BANK by Bentley Little (killer so far, classic Little!) and I'm about 50 pages from the finish line on UNSPEAKABLE THINGS by Jess Lourey (which has been a damn fine read, can't wait to check out more of her stuff).

Comment

Just finished Duma Key. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would!

Now I'm starting The Children of Men.

Comment

Duma Key is one of my all time favorites. Glad you enjoyed it!

Comment

Working...
                                X