What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taost33 View Post
    Speaking of Malerman, has anyone else been reading "Carpenters Farm", his serialized novel online? I have really been enjoying it. Kind of tough mixing it in with my regular reading but I think it has been excellent.
    I haven't read it, but I've been pulling it down and copying it into a word doc to read later.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      That's the same issue I'm having with the latest Steve Tem collection. Sometimes this type of fiction -- which, though Tem writes often in this style, this particular collection seems especially pronounced -- hits me right and sometimes...not. This apparently is one of those 'not' times...after a half-dozen stories or so, I find myself starting to skim-read, so this book may be finished before the night's over. Then I'm off to the new Grady Hendrix novel, which is distinctly not a surreal read...his stuff is about as accessible as it gets.
      Originally posted by brlesh View Post
      Well that's a coincidence. One of the stories I didn't like for being too surreal was by Tem.

I've put I Am the Abyss to the side for now.

Started Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant. 30 pages in and liking it a lot so far.

B
      I liked what I read of Tem's in his collection OUT OF THE DARK. It is surreal, but I enjoyed the experience. It's a mood and an atmosphere. I just dip in and out when I'm in the mood. Do not take that sentence out of context.

Comment

VAMPYRRHIC by Simon Clark then VAMPYRRHIC RITES again by Simon, then KILLER LAKE by W. D. Gagliani & David Benton.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jargendeli View Post
          VAMPYRRHIC by Simon Clark then VAMPYRRHIC RITES again by Simon, then KILLER LAKE by W. D. Gagliani & David Benton.

Jim
          I loved the both the Vampyrrhic novels from Simon Clark. His book Darker is fantastic as well.

I have had a small paperback in my TBD stack for a long time. In fact I am not able to remember how it came to be in my possession. It is titled Unearthed by Richard Chizmar, Ray Garton and Brian Keene. Published by Apokrupha, who I have never heard of. This copy is signed by Brian Keene. It contains an introduction by Mr. Chizmar and two stories. Both were originally started by Richard Chizmar and at some point given to the other author involved to modify the story. Both stories ended up being re-reads for me as they are collection in one of Mr. Chizmar's collections. I enjoyed the stories but now I am struggling to determine who I came to own this book.

Comment

Just finished Don Winslow's "Broken". Holy crap was this book great. Can't believe this is his first short story/novella collection and am hoping that he will write another some day. Each story was knock your socks off amazing and I can't stop thinking about each of them. Impossible for me to pick a favorite. If you've read his previous novels, you will be even more ecstatic as he brings back many of his signature characters from previous books and weaves them into a few, but not all, of these amazing tales. I don't think there's a better crime writer working today than Winslow with the possible exception of James Sallis, and their styles are so different that it's impossible to truly compare them. Please do yourself a favor and seek out this book!!!

Think I will be reading Joe Lansdale's "Jane Goes North" next.

Comment

Just finished Joe Lansdale's "Jane Goes North". Really liked it, but did not love it. Overall, something felt missing to me although I'm not exactly sure what. This books did have some fun characters and situations and, as usual, Lansdale's dialogue is great. The main female characters and their motivations felt very real to me. Have met people like this in my own life. Think this story would make for a fun indie movie.

Not sure what I plan to read next. Will probably either be Ian M. Banks "Use of Weapons" (picked up a copy of the limited during the latest SubPress sale, have never read this author but it sounded pretty dope) or Jeff Vandermeer's "Finch" (was finally able to obtain a copy of the limited which has been on my wish-list for quite awhile, am a huge fan and this is his only book that I haven't read yet).

Comment

Just started Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes. It's the sequel to You which has been one of my favorite reads this year.

Comment

Should be finished with Moriarty in the next day or two. ThenI think I'm going to start The Nameless by Ramsey Campbell.

Comment

I finished reading Dracula. The second novel, in the same book, is Frankenstein. I'm in the thick of Frankenstein now. Today I read online The Case Of The Winking Buddha (1950) by Manning Lee Stokes. It's one of the earliest graphic novels. It became part of Authentic Police Cases 25. I'm unsure if a copy of Authentic Police Cases 25 is available to buy. I found The Case Of The Winking Buddha was free to read online at ComicBookPlus.

Cap
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Just finished Jeff Vandermeer's "Finch". Wow what an amazing book! I have loved all of his Ambergris novels; however, this one might be my favorite. Man, that interrogation scene toward the end was brutal. Can't wait to see what SubPress has up their sleeves later this year with the Ambergris title they are publishing. Now, if only somebody would publish a limited of "City of Saints and Madmen"...

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                        Just finished Jeff Vandermeer's "Finch". Wow what an amazing book! I have loved all of his Ambergris novels; however, this one might be my favorite. Man, that interrogation scene toward the end was brutal. Can't wait to see what SubPress has up their sleeves later this year with the Ambergris title they are publishing. Now, if only somebody would publish a limited of "City of Saints and Madmen"...
                        Thrilled to see your thoughts on it. I'll have to read it. I didn't know that SubPress was doing another VanderMeer. And here I was trying not to spend anything ever again. I haven't read any of his Ambergris novels. FINCH will be my first.

Comment

Reading The Troop by Nick Cutter. Think Lord of the Flies done with Boy Scouts.

Comment

Just started Bentley Little’s THE BANK.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I just finished The Bottoms by Joe R Lansdale. Now reading Carpenter's Farm by Josh Malerman. Also a large reading project I may not finish for years. Started reading every super hero Marvel comic with 1961 and am up to 1966. I have a lot more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                                Reading The Troop by Nick Cutter. Think Lord of the Flies done with Boy Scouts.
                                I really liked The Troop. I meant to pick up more Nick Cutter but never got around to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X