Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

    I can’t recall the title, but Laird Barron wrote the 4th book.
    B
    I think the Edward Lee book was The Haunter at the Threshold and Barron's was The Light is the Darkness. I might be wrong about the Barron book.

    I have the Morningstar lettered edition of John R. Little's Dreams in Black and White that I think is a great production. I picked it up for like $80 on eBay, directly from Larry Roberts if I remember correctly. I've wanted to track down more of their lettered editions on the aftermarket but they don't come up too often anymore. There was a period of time that Keene's Darkness on the Edge of Town was going really cheap and I should've picked it up when I had the chance.

    Comment


      Originally posted by brlesh View Post

      I can’t recall the title, but Laird Barron wrote the 4th book.
      B
      THE LIGHT IS THE DARKNESS was the title, I believe.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

      Comment


        Took a book break and read the Gotham Central series from Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka.  I really enjoyed the street level perspective of the Gotham City police with minimal appearances by The Bat. Of course, Brubaker and Rucka are solid and reliable.

        Afterwards, I decided on finally tackling Chuck Wendig's Wanderers. My Goodreads says I'm 18% of the way in and so far it's going pretty good.  I have zero idea where it's headed (which is great - I entered this one completely unspoiled) and looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

        Comment


          Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          Took a book break and read the Gotham Central series from Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka. I really enjoyed the street level perspective of the Gotham City police with minimal appearances by The Bat. Of course, Brubaker and Rucka are solid and reliable.

          Afterwards, I decided on finally tackling Chuck Wendig's Wanderers. My Goodreads says I'm 18% of the way in and so far it's going pretty good. I have zero idea where it's headed (which is great - I entered this one completely unspoiled) and looking forward to seeing where it takes me.
          I just recently completed compiling a full run of Gotham Central! I had read the first issue or two when it first came out and acquired the first dozen issues or so, but never got around to reading them. Recently picked up the rest of the series for pretty cheap on eBay and I'm looking to digging into the series. If you like Brubaker, check out Scene of the Crime. It's only four issues long and it's a great little noir-ish mystery.

          Comment


            Originally posted by brlesh View Post

            I can’t recall the title, but Laird Barron wrote the 4th book.
            B
            Yes, thank you! I was thinking about the proposed 5th book, which was supposed to be, I believe, Carlton Mellick. I think the press folded before it was officially announced.
            http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

            Comment


              Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              Took a book break and read the Gotham Central series from Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka. I really enjoyed the street level perspective of the Gotham City police with minimal appearances by The Bat. Of course, Brubaker and Rucka are solid and reliable.

              Afterwards, I decided on finally tackling Chuck Wendig's Wanderers. My Goodreads says I'm 18% of the way in and so far it's going pretty good. I have zero idea where it's headed (which is great - I entered this one completely unspoiled) and looking forward to seeing where it takes me.
              Would love for you to leave a review for Wendig's "Wanderers" when you are done. Have had this book in my to-read pile for quite a while; however, I always seem to pass it over and grab something else from the stack instead. Not sure why other than I have never read anything by Wendig and that the book itself is quite long. That being said, I have seen the book compared to King's The Stand in multiple reviews; so, perhaps I'm doing myself a disservice and should read this ASAP.

              Comment


                Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

                Would love for you to leave a review for Wendig's "Wanderers" when you are done. Have had this book in my to-read pile for quite a while; however, I always seem to pass it over and grab something else from the stack instead. Not sure why other than I have never read anything by Wendig and that the book itself is quite long. That being said, I have seen the book compared to King's The Stand in multiple reviews; so, perhaps I'm doing myself a disservice and should read this ASAP.
                For what it's worth, I wasn't much taken with WANDERERS, and I'm a big fan of Wendig's 6-book Miriam Black series, so went in with a great deal of anticipation and excitement. For me, it felt plodding and fell way short of his clearly ambitious goal with this novel. I ended up selling my signed 1st HC of it, and have not picked up the sequel, WAYWARD. I also skipped his new horror novel, THE BOOK OF ACCIDENTS.

                You know that unfortunate thing where you really enjoy an author's work, then read a book that so disappoints that it chronically taints the way you view them and end up never picking up another book by them? WANDERERS was that book for me. I hope I'll return to Wendig's work someday, but it's probably going to be a while.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                Comment


                  Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

                  For what it's worth, I wasn't much taken with WANDERERS, and I'm a big fan of Wendig's 6-book Miriam Black series, so went in with a great deal of anticipation and excitement. For me, it felt plodding and fell way short of his clearly ambitious goal with this novel. I ended up selling my signed 1st HC of it, and have not picked up the sequel, WAYWARD. I also skipped his new horror novel, THE BOOK OF ACCIDENTS.

                  You know that unfortunate thing where you really enjoy an author's work, then read a book that so disappoints that it chronically taints the way you view them and end up never picking up another book by them? WANDERERS was that book for me. I hope I'll return to Wendig's work someday, but it's probably going to be a while.
                  I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually, but your review definitely gives me pause.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

                    I just recently completed compiling a full run of Gotham Central! I had read the first issue or two when it first came out and acquired the first dozen issues or so, but never got around to reading them. Recently picked up the rest of the series for pretty cheap on eBay and I'm looking to digging into the series. If you like Brubaker, check out Scene of the Crime. It's only four issues long and it's a great little noir-ish mystery.
                    I bought a Brubaker Humble Bundle awhile back, and got a ton of his independent stuff that was just awesome.

                    As for Wanderers - I've only read the first few Miriam Black books in the series (I never finished it - I don't remember much of anything about them either).  I don't remember being WOWed by them, but I know I didn't hate them.

                    I needed something to read that I had the eBook of (I may have said it elsewhere, but I've been finding reading in bed with my Kindle is a lot easier) and it had some good ratings. I was a little hesitant because it's a long one for sure.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

                      I bought a Brubaker Humble Bundle awhile back, and got a ton of his independent stuff that was just awesome.
                      That's very cool. I stepped away from comics for a very long time and still can't honestly say that I'm back into them, but I've dabbled a little bit recently as with the Gotham Central collection, but a lot if has been for nostalgia's sake. I do feel like I've missed out on a lot of Brubaker's comics over the past years and have been tempted to start picking them up. I'm just not sure how much money I want to start pouring back into this hobby. The limited edition book collecting has become more expensive recently so finances are a little stretched. Maybe the library has some collected editions.

                      Comment


                        Just finished the DRP limited edition of Josh Malerman's "Malorie". Really enjoyed this one. In fact, I think I liked it even more than Birdbox. Malerman really nailed the characters, especially Malorie's children. This novel also had some surprises and twists that I just didn't see coming. It's so enjoyable when an author can keep you off-balance, in a good way. Also really enjoyed the production values on this one. Like that it was oversized, and really enjoyed all the Glen Chadbourne artwork. It really does match their previous edition of Birdbox perfectly, and I'm so glad to have both in my collection.

                        Think I will be starting the Thunderstorm LE of Tyler Jones' collection "Turn Up the Sun" next. Have never read anything by him but have heard good things.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

                          Think I will be starting the Thunderstorm LE of Tyler Jones' collection "Turn Up the Sun" next. Have never read anything by him but have heard good things.
                          I passed on this and I’m really mad at myself. Every time Thunderstorm offers these novella omnibuses, I hold off for one stupid reason or another and then kick myself repeatedly when it sells out. I just need to pull the trigger and not be so darn wishy-washy.

                          I’m curious as to your thoughts when you get done and if this should be put at the top of my aftermarket search list.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

                            I passed on this and I’m really mad at myself. Every time Thunderstorm offers these novella omnibuses, I hold off for one stupid reason or another and then kick myself repeatedly when it sells out. I just need to pull the trigger and not be so darn wishy-washy.

                            I’m curious as to your thoughts when you get done and if this should be put at the top of my aftermarket search list.
                            Don't blame you a bit as I personally love these omnibus editions.  I don't purchase Ebooks or paperbacks; so, a lot of times, I'd never get a chance to read these novellas unless they are collected into a hardcover edition such as this.  It also doesn't hurt that these omnibus editions usually have extras and top-notch production value.

                            Just completed the first novella in the Jones collection, Criterium, and it was awesome.  Haven't been able to stop thinking about it.  The characters felt so real, and the hurt cuts so deeply in this story.  If the rest of the novellas are close to that level, then I would definitely track down this book on the aftermarket. 

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

                              Don't blame you a bit as I personally love these omnibus editions. I don't purchase Ebooks or paperbacks; so, a lot of times, I'd never get a chance to read these novellas unless they are collected into a hardcover edition such as this. It also doesn't hurt that these omnibus editions usually have extras and top-notch production value.

                              Just completed the first novella in the Jones collection, Criterium, and it was awesome. Haven't been able to stop thinking about it. The characters felt so real, and the hurt cuts so deeply in this story. If the rest of the novellas are close to that level, then I would definitely track down this book on the aftermarket.
                              Your first paragraph sums up my exact feelings about the omnibus editions as well...and just goes to show how much wiser you are than I as you actually BUY the books instead of, you know, NOT buying them and then beating yourself up over it.

                              Thanks for the feedback on the first novella. Unless you post differently upon finishing the entire book, I'll be putting this on my list. Got a feeling that it might be extra hard to come by, especially after Jones gets some more limelight from Earthling's Halloween book this year coming from him. Midas is the title, I believe. I definitely won't be missing out on that one if I can help it.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

                                Got a feeling that it might be extra hard to come by, especially after Jones gets some more limelight from Earthling's Halloween book this year coming from him. Midas is the title, I believe. I definitely won't be missing out on that one if I can help it.
                                I'm looking forward to "Midas" as well, especially after reading "Turn Up the Sun"!  I passed on last year's Fracassi Halloween book and am still kicking myself for it.  Don't think I'll ever be able to afford the LE on the aftermarket unless it comes down bigtime.  
                                 
                                Last edited by sholloman81; 04-04-2023, 10:01 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X