Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Wow that was a lot work!
    I suspect that I won't run across another copy of Snow Upon The Desert. That was one reason to buy the poor book. The other reason was to save the book. Inside are listed four titles by the author, also rare and hard to find. Some of the books by this author can be very pricey.
    The hard to find titles for author J Russell Warren are A Bride For Bombay, Castle Enigma, Princess Proxy.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 04-12-2020, 07:34 PM. Reason: To add more info.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Just finished a reread of Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One". Seems like people either love or hate this book. I land firmly on the love side. Just received the SubPress limited editions of Joe Lansdale's "Jane Goes North" & "The Sky Done Ripped" this week and will choose between one of those two options for my next read. Will probably go with "Jane Goes North" as I'm hoping to do a reread of the two earlier Ned the Seal books before I finish off the Trilogy with "The Sky Done Ripped".

Comment

Rereading The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale. Love this book!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
          Just finished a reread of Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One". Seems like people either love or hate this book. I land firmly on the love side. Just received the SubPress limited editions of Joe Lansdale's "Jane Goes North" & "The Sky Done Ripped" this week and will choose between one of those two options for my next read. Will probably go with "Jane Goes North" as I'm hoping to do a reread of the two earlier Ned the Seal books before I finish off the Trilogy with "The Sky Done Ripped".
          I enjoyed it - didn't love it - I think it was because I wasn't as well-versed in video games as one would think.

This look also seems to experience revisioning. Maybe that's not the right word. It's a book that seems to be the cool thing to hate on. Whenever I come across people talking about it, there's almost a game of who hated it first. People loved this book - it sold a gazillion copies (give or take a few bajillion) and now every one hates it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do know that Armada was no where near as good. Ugh.

Comment

I recently finished Loop by Benjamin Oliver. Not sure where I stumbled upon, but obviously I did and bought a copy of it. It was good - first part of a trilogy (because everything has to be a trilogy today - I know this is my "Old man yells at cloud" moment, but why is everything a trilogy?) that had a pretty good cliffhanger at the end. Fast read. I was entertained.

Last night I started Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. Not far enough in it to have much of an opinion yet, but it's reading easily enough. Definitely not a struggle like some other books (I'm looking at you A Hero Born from Jin Yong!)

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
              Rereading The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale. Love this book!!!!!
              Brilliant book.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                I enjoyed it - didn't love it - I think it was because I wasn't as well-versed in video games as one would think.

This look also seems to experience revisioning. Maybe that's not the right word. It's a book that seems to be the cool thing to hate on. Whenever I come across people talking about it, there's almost a game of who hated it first. People loved this book - it sold a gazillion copies (give or take a few bajillion) and now every one hates it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I loved READY, PLAYER ONE, and maybe I’m the exception but I’m not into video games at all. I just found it a compelling post-apocalyptic, alternate-reality story with engaging characters. But, man, yeah, ARMADA was god-awful.

And, yep, THE BOTTOMS is an incredible work.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  I loved READY, PLAYER ONE, and maybe I’m the exception but I’m not into video games at all. I just found it a compelling post-apocalyptic, alternate-reality story with engaging characters. But, man, yeah, ARMADA was god-awful.

And, yep, THE BOTTOMS is an incredible work.
                  That's why I'm rereading The Bottoms. It's an incredible story and I'm also trying to get back on track with novels. The last couple of months have been stressful. Concentration has been tough. The world is a very different place . I know I'm not alone distinguish thinking. Figured a familiar story would be a great way to get back on track. So far it's working

Comment

I finished reading Snow Upon The Desert by J Russell Warren. I'm reading Midnight Under The Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman. I'm also reading The Narrator by Norman Prentiss & Michael McBride. I have not gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                      I finished reading Snow Upon The Desert by J Russell Warren. I'm reading Midnight Under The Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman. I'm also reading The Narrator by Norman Prentiss & Michael McBride. I have not gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap
                      I really enjoyed The Narrator by Prentiss & McBride. I thought it was a solid read.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

This is how I feel as well. Seems weird to hate on a book that was so popular/successful. A lot of the online hate seems to stem from "Gamer Gate" which I have no skin in since I don't play online videogames. Also see a lot of hate mention that the book was written for/from a chauvinist white male prospective. Didn't read/feel that way to me; however, I'm a white male (born in the 80's). Like you, I found Armada to be a complete letdown. Just finished the first book in the Ned the Seal trilogy, Zeppelins West. I really enjoyed the first book, but hated the ending. Way too abrupt. Can also tell that the book was never written with a sequel in mind as many major characters were killed. Loved the character/dialogue of Sitting Bull, had me laughing out loud. Have started 2nd book, Flaming Zeppelins. So far, so good, as long as you can get past a character returning who was very dead in the 1st book. Obviously had to bring the character back to make the sequel work. I can forgive that as I'm a huge Lansdale fan and these books are a bit absurdist/silly anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                          This is how I feel as well. Seems weird to hate on a book that was so popular/successful. A lot of the online hate seems to stem from "Gamer Gate" which I have no skin in since I don't play online videogames. Also see a lot of hate mention that the book was written for/from a chauvinist white male prospective. Didn't read/feel that way to me; however, I'm a white male (born in the 80's). Like you, I found Armada to be a complete letdown. Just finished the first book in the Ned the Seal trilogy, Zeppelins West. I really enjoyed the first book, but hated the ending. Way too abrupt. Can also tell that the book was never written with a sequel in mind as many major characters were killed. Loved the character/dialogue of Sitting Bull, had me laughing out loud. Have started 2nd book, Flaming Zeppelins. So far, so good, as long as you can get past a character returning who was very dead in the 1st book. Obviously had to bring the character back to make the sequel work. I can forgive that as I'm a huge Lansdale fan and these books are a bit absurdist/silly anyway.
                          That is a fascinating take for me. Like you I am not a gamer but read a lot about gamergate as it went on. I had never heard reference about this story facing a backlash from that. If people feel it is taking a side I could see how they would react negatively. I have not read the story but highly doubt the author intended it as an endorsement of the actions of that time. Thank you for sharing these views. You made me think about things and that is always a good thing.

Comment

I liked Ready Player One and found it a quick and fun read. I'm not a gamer and never have heard of gamergate.
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              That is a fascinating take for me. Like you I am not a gamer but read a lot about gamergate as it went on. I had never heard reference about this story facing a backlash from that. If people feel it is taking a side I could see how they would react negatively. I have not read the story but highly doubt the author intended it as an endorsement of the actions of that time. Thank you for sharing these views. You made me think about things and that is always a good thing.
                              Thanks Martin. If you have a chance, you should check out the article link below. It explains the book's supposed connections to Gamergate. Much like yourself, I found myself fascinated by the whole Gamergate thing as it was going on even though I don't play online games.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/3/2...gate-explained

Comment

I guess I'm dull or something. I still don't understand what gamersgate is/was.
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X