No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally getting around to reading "Frozen Hell" (published by DRP). Sadly, I had never had the chance/awareness to read Campbell's novella "Who Goes There?". Because of that, my only background with this story was via the movie: John Carpenter's The Thing. "Frozen Hell" was a little dry at first with all of the snow-equipment jargon and measurements; however, once you get to the discovery of the alien, it's high-octane from that point on. Would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      Finally getting around to reading "Frozen Hell" (published by DRP). Sadly, I had never had the chance/awareness to read Campbell's novella "Who Goes There?". Because of that, my only background with this story was via the movie: John Carpenter's The Thing. "Frozen Hell" was a little dry at first with all of the snow-equipment jargon and measurements; however, once you get to the discovery of the alien, it's high-octane from that point on. Would recommend.
      Great to hear that it's a solid read...the newly discovered, expanded version of Campbell's novella has been on my radar since it was announced, and I keep meaning to grab a copy.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Great to hear that it's a solid read...the newly discovered, expanded version of Campbell's novella has been on my radar since it was announced, and I keep meaning to grab a copy.
        I would definitely grab it if you find it at a fair price. The story is good and the production values are good. I really like that even the trade edition had art/sketches throughout the story. Not sure how much cost it adds to the production of books, but I really wish more publishers would go back to including art in their titles. Even seems like some of the limited editions publishers have started cutting back on interior art lately, unless it's for a huge author, which is a bummer.

Comment

Finished reading Circus Boy Starring Corky.
          I started Persona by Genevieve Valentine. I've temporarily set aside Persona. I've not yet gone back to reading Dracula by Bram Stoker or Nightmare Alley by William Lindsay Gresham.
          I'm currently reading and really enjoying Wives and Lovers by Margaret Millar. I purchased a box of six vintage hardbacks last fall and Wives and Lovers is the first one I'm reading.

Cap
          Last edited by c marvel; 02-28-2020, 04:09 AM. Reason: I forgot one book title
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Just started True Crime by Samantha Kolesnik . It’s her first book. So far I think she’s got a great future. Really enjoying this one

Comment

I finished reading Wives and Lovers by Margaret Millar, great book IMO. I've gone back to reading Nightmare Alley by William Lindsay Gresham and am enjoying NA. ~Cap

Comment

100 pages into Enter, Night by Michael Rowe, which may be a vampire story, or it may be a serial killer story, or it may be something else entirely.

Liking it so far, though Rowe does tend to be a wordy at times.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                  100 pages into Enter, Night by Michael Rowe, which may be a vampire story, or it may be a serial killer story, or it may be something else entirely.

Liking it so far, though Rowe does tend to be a wordy at times.

B
                  It's highly rated. I have it, flipped through a few pages and I think I'll enjoy it after I finish the 27 books I have ahead of it LOL!!

Comment

I remember enjoying Rowe’s book a good deal.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished: Mr. Nobody by Catherine Steadman. Much better than her debut novel, Something in the Water. I was thoroughly invested the whole time, and thought the whole thing wrapped up quite nicely. I got a little confused when the final parts of the mystery were being laid out, but I don't think I needed a firm grasp of the details to appreciate the ending.

Next up: Open Book, Jessica Simpson's memoir.

Comment

I finished reading Nightmare Alley-An interesting book and an okay read. I had not read the novel before and was disappointed so I only give it 3 stars on my review. I'm glad I got the affordable New York Review Books paperback. I do have Nightmare Alley as a graphic novel. It will be interesting to see how Nightmare Alley translates in the graphic novel format. I actually liked one nonfiction book by William Lindsay Gresham- Monster Midway- which I have read much better than Nightmare Alley. I am now reading again Persona by Genevieve Valentine. I have not yet gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap

Comment

Just finished reading "Ninth House" by Leigh Bardugo. Have never read anything by this author; however, figured I would give it a chance since so many authors that I enjoy endorsed the book. Boy am I glad I read this book. It hit on all cylinders for me. It had an amazing blend of fantasy/mystery/horror. In fact, as a reader of horror fiction, I was surprised by how many times this author was able to get me to cringe with some of the imagery and happenings. Also loved the setting of the book (Yale/Secret Societies), and that the characters were all fleshed out and believable. I have read reviews that stated the first third of the book was slow, but I never felt that way at all. This read flew by and left me wanting more. Luckily, it sounds like this author plans to write more with this character/series. Definitely a series I plan to hop into should it become one. Highly recommend this book!!!

Comment

Just finished reading "Ninth House" by Leigh Bardugo...
                            I'm glad to hear it went well for you; I'm planning to read this in the next few months, since my daughter has it (as well as several other books from Bardugo, who is known for YA fantasy, which my daughter reads, but I don't).
                            Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Just finished reading "Ninth House" by Leigh Bardugo. Have never read anything by this author; however, figured I would give it a chance since so many authors that I enjoy endorsed the book. Boy am I glad I read this book. It hit on all cylinders for me. It had an amazing blend of fantasy/mystery/horror. In fact, as a reader of horror fiction, I was surprised by how many times this author was able to get me to cringe with some of the imagery and happenings. Also loved the setting of the book (Yale/Secret Societies), and that the characters were all fleshed out and believable. I have read reviews that stated the first third of the book was slow, but I never felt that way at all. This read flew by and left me wanting more. Luckily, it sounds like this author plans to write more with this character/series. Definitely a series I plan to hop into should it become one. Highly recommend this book!!!
                              Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It was a struggle for me.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
                                I'm glad to hear it went well for you; I'm planning to read this in the next few months, since my daughter has it (as well as several other books from Bardugo, who is known for YA fantasy, which my daughter reads, but I don't).
                                Hi St. Troy. Just a word of warning. This is definitely an adult novel. Not sure how old your daughter is; however, I wanted to mention that there are some scenes of sexual violence toward women as well as some general violence/torture that may be not be acceptable for the younger kids. I never had reading restrictions when I was younger. My dad would let me read anything. That being said, I know a lot of parents may be upset if their young readers were to read some of the scenes from this book.

Comment

Working...
                                X