No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff, I also prefer dark beers — porters, stouts, brown ales and scotch ales, some ambers — but most of what I drink is inevitably regional stuff. But there is one that I really like which is brewed and sourced in the UK but is liberally distributed in the U.S., so you should be able to easily find it at your nearby upscale’ish grocer: Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale. It’s a perfect Duff Bucket accompaniment to any English author unboxing whose work favors character over pretentiousness of style, the traditional over the experimental.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/576/

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.u...nut-brown-ale/
    Last edited by RonClinton; 03-30-2020, 11:23 PM.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I have to stay away from all dark beers these days. GI issues abound.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

HEAT, William Goldman.

No connection to the great Pacino / Duvall film.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          Jeff, I also prefer dark beers — porters, stouts, brown ales and scotch ales, some ambers — but most of what I drink is inevitably regional stuff. But there is one that I really like which is brewed and sourced in the UK but is liberally distributed in the U.S., so you should be able to easily find it at your nearby upscale’ish grocer: Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale. It’s a perfect Duff Bucket accompaniment to any English author unboxing whose work favors character over pretentiousness of style, the traditional over the experimental.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/576/

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.u...nut-brown-ale/
          When I can venture back out to beer shop, you can be sure I'll be tracking down a bottle of this Nut Brown Ale.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            When I can venture back out to beer shop, you can be sure I'll be tracking down a bottle of this Nut Brown Ale.
            Could be a while so her a a D.I.Y. kit for it:
            https://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Best-...5686658&sr=8-4

Comment

Reading a lot of short stories and novellas lately. Anyone else having a hard time with longer books with all that's going on?

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                Reading a lot of short stories and novellas lately. Anyone else having a hard time with longer books with all that's going on?
                My reading has about ground to a halt. Unfortunately it is due to a more personal situation. I averaged ten books a month last year. March will finish with five. I am also finding that re-reads are working better for me as my mind has a habit of wandering and if I do not know the story I keep having to go back and read a section again.

Comment

I'm reading The Judas Murders by Ken Oder.

https://www.amazon.com/Judas-Murders...5702639&sr=8-1

I just started it and I'm already annoyed because one of the characters kills someone with a silenced Colt Python. Anyone who knows anything about guns (or did 30 seconds worth of research) knows that a silencer on a revolver does nothing to muffle the sound.

I guess I'll keep going and see if it's worth the effort.

Comment

Finished up Behold the Void by Philip Fracassi this morning. A very good collection of weird fiction stories. A lot of the current crop of weird fiction writers could learn a thing or two from Fracassi. Tell a damn coherent story in your fiction and not to be weird just for weird's sake!!

Plan on starting Blackwater by Michael McDowell tonight.

B

Comment

Flipping through The Collected memoirs of Charles Willeford, I was Looking for a Street And Something About a Soldier. Willieford was a man well acquainted with hard times and how to overcome them. His closing line in Something about a Soldier still rings true to me. "It just went to prove that all a man had to do in the Army was live right, work hard, and all the good things would eventually come his way. It had certainly worked out that way for me." He passed away at the age of 69 in 1988, just before he hit it big as a Mystery writer. Read him if you get a chance, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                        I'm reading The Judas Murders by Ken Oder.

https://www.amazon.com/Judas-Murders...5702639&sr=8-1

I just started it and I'm already annoyed because one of the characters kills someone with a silenced Colt Python. Anyone who knows anything about guns (or did 30 seconds worth of research) knows that a silencer on a revolver does nothing to muffle the sound.

I guess I'll keep going and see if it's worth the effort.
                        I felt that way about a book I read and it featured a lot of SCUBA diving - so much wrong about how the author described what was happening. The book wasn't bad, it just annoyed me.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                          I felt that way about a book I read and it featured a lot of SCUBA diving - so much wrong about how the author described what was happening. The book wasn't bad, it just annoyed me.
                          Yeah, that's annoying

Right now I'm reading Moore's Law, which is a very good book (despite a few typos) about Gordon Moore. I thought my kindle was broken when it said I had over eight hours to go, but it's almost 600 pages. 75% of the way through it now.

Our world today - from the phone in your pocket to the car that you drive, the allure of social media to the strategy of the Pentagon - has been shaped irrevocably by the technology of silicon transistors. Year after year, for half a century, these tiny switches have enabled ever-more startling capabilities. Their incredible proliferation has altered the course of human history as dramatically as any political or social revolution. At the heart of it all has been one quiet Californian: Gordon Moore.

At Fairchild Semiconductor, his seminal Silicon Valley startup, Moore - a young chemist turned electronics entrepreneur - had the defining insight: silicon transistors, and microchips made of them, could make electronics profoundly cheap and immensely powerful. Microchips could double in power, then redouble again in clockwork fashion. History has borne out this insight, which we now call "Moore's Law", and Moore himself, having recognized it, worked endlessly to realize his vision. With Moore's technological leadership at Fairchild and then at his second start-up, the Intel Corporation, the law has held for 50 years.

Comment

Reading: The House of Silence by Avalon Brantley. Interesting and well written. Need to keep it going.

The Reddening by Adam Nevill I've always been happy with Nevill's work and this one is shaping up to be another good choice.
                            Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                            Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I finished reading The Sun Down Motel by Simone St James. This book was simply excellent and one of the best novels I've read in a long time. I'm reading Midnight Under The Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman. I'm also reading Snow Upon The Desert by J Russell Warren. I found SUTD on eBay and the book was really in pieces-no kidding. I got a deal on the book and paid to have it rebound. I began reading SUTD only to discover two pages were missing. There was not much info about SUTD online. The novel had been serialized in an Australian newspaper. Luckily I found the two missing pages and sent the book to the bindery again. So I'm now reading the book from the beginning-again (I didn't finish reading it the first time when I got to the part where I found there were two missing pages). I have not gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap
                              Last edited by c marvel; 04-12-2020, 03:08 AM.
                              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Wow that was a lot work!

Comment

Working...
                                X