No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on the fence about this one. I think I might need to pull the trigger. The story sounds right up my alley.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      good to hear! I preordered the SubPress edition based on William Schafer's raving praise!
      That's why I'm reading it now. I am thinking about the limited edition and wanted to see if it was a book I really wanted to are to my collection. So far I really like the story but don't know if I like it enough to get the limited edition. It's a cross between The Body and Boys Life with a little bit of It thrown in.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
        That's why I'm reading it now. I am thinking about the limited edition and wanted to see if it was a book I really wanted to are to my collection. So far I really like the story but don't know if I like it enough to get the limited edition. It's a cross between The Body and Boys Life with a little bit of It thrown in.
        THAT sounds like a delicious recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          THAT sounds like a delicious recipe.
          For a first novel it is really good. I should finish it tomorrow. It really is hard to put down.

Comment

I had to set aside HUNTING CHARLES MANSON for a special reading project. I'm still dipping into the fun WHEN ANIMALS ATTACK, a book of essays about 70 different animal-amok films, and I'm about to start Marvel's VAMPIRE TALES, VOLUME 2.
            http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

While I’m waiting for my copies of Cixin Liu’s Remembrance Of Earth’s Past books, I’ve been reading Martha Wells’s Murderbot novella series. I surprised myself by how much I’m enjoying these. Really hoping someone publishes a nice signed omnibus edition of these.

Also just finished The Haunting Of Hill House. Never read this before - and at the risk of shocking everyone on here, I wasn’t all that impressed by it. Just wasn’t as good or “haunting” as everyone keeps trying to tell me it was. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                While I’m waiting for my copies of Cixin Liu’s Remembrance Of Earth’s Past books, I’ve been reading Martha Wells’s Murderbot novella series. I surprised myself by how much I’m enjoying these. Really hoping someone publishes a nice signed omnibus edition of these.

Also just finished The Haunting Of Hill House. Never read this before - and at the risk of shocking everyone on here, I wasn’t all that impressed by it. Just wasn’t as good or “haunting” as everyone keeps trying to tell me it was. Oh well.
                I read Hill House for the first time earlier this year. I loved the original movie and have seen it several times. I completely understand what you mean as I enjoyed it but was not blown away. I gave it three stars on Goodreads and stand by that but I was expecting a 5 star read. A good story but did not live up the lofty expectations I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  I read Hill House for the first time earlier this year. I loved the original movie and have seen it several times. I completely understand what you mean as I enjoyed it but was not blown away. I gave it three stars on Goodreads and stand by that but I was expecting a 5 star read. A good story but did not live up the lofty expectations I had.
                  I gave it three stars too.

Definitely was expecting more. One "haunted house" story that I never finished was House of Blue Leaves. I remember that one giving me some uncomfortable feelings so I was expecting something like that. (I should read that one again and actually finish it - I think I stopped because it got too hart to read towards the last quarter because of how it was printed.)

Spoiler!

Not sure if I've seen any of the movie versions (there are multiples I believe . . .)

Comment

The Robert Wise version, THE HAUNTING, is a classic, well worth watching. The Liam Neeson version from 1999 is a piece of shit. (That might be overly harsh, since I haven't seen it since that first theatrical viewing in '99, but I hated it then, and have had no desire to revisit it since.)
                    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                      The Robert Wise version, THE HAUNTING, is a classic, well worth watching. The Liam Neeson version from 1999 is a piece of shit. (That might be overly harsh, since I haven't seen it since that first theatrical viewing in '99, but I hated it then, and have had no desire to revisit it since.)
                      I could not agree with you more! I have seen the 1963 version multiple times and it is an absolute classic. I have watched the 1999 version twice and I will not watch it again, there is nothing about that movie that I liked.

Comment

I love Hill House one of my favorite Haunted House stories.

Comment

Finished The Chalk Man. A solid 4 stars. More thrilled then straight on horror but a great first novel
                          Now on to The Cabin at the End of the World.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            Finished The Chalk Man. A solid 4 stars. More thrilled then straight on horror but a great first novel
                            Now on to The Cabin at the End of the World.
                            Well, you’ve sold me on The Chalk Man. Interested in your thought about CABIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              Well, you’ve sold me on The Chalk Man. Interested in your thought about CABIN.
                              I like The Chalk Man too. The Cabin at the End of The World was just weird. I'm still not sure what it was trying to be, but I had to force myself to finish it. My wife said it like reading patient files at the psych hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                                I like The Chalk Man too. The Cabin at the End of The World was just weird. I'm still not sure what it was trying to be, but I had to force myself to finish it. My wife said it like reading patient files at the psych hospital.
                                I am loving The Cabin At The End of The World. I've read almost half of it since last night. It's a bit weird in spot but I think right now that I like it even more then Head Full of Ghosts.

Comment

Working...
                                X