No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished reading Missing From His Home by J. Russell Warren. What a convoulted plot. I'm still reading The Green Man-Tales from the Mythic Forest edited by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling. I set it aside for a while and I'm now nearing the end. I'm also reading Japan in the Second World War in Color by David Batty. While looking for the documentary of this subject I stumbled across a real shocker. Go to documentaryheaven.com and watch Japan's Atomic Bomb.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Currently reading a non-fiction book called REAL LIFE SUPERHEROES, Marvel's THE MONSTER OF FRANKENSTEIN, and TIMOTHY GREEN BECKLEY'S BIG BOOK OF WEREWOLVES.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just started RJ Barker's Blood of assassins, the 2nd book in the Wounded Kingdom series. The 3rd in the series, King of Assassins comes out August 7th. Pretty good all round, a little murky at times but I think that is done for effect. A good Summer read!!

Comment

I'm finishing two books, and ready to begin Night-Gaunts and Other Tales of Suspense by Joyce Carol Oates.
          Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I've just finished Bone Music by Christopher Rice. This is the first book I've read by this author and it is a very enjoyable, fast paced thriller combining a serial killer story with a Michael Crichton type science fiction element. This is the first in a new series and I look forward to reading more.

Comment

I just wrapped up Edward Lorn's The Bedding of Boys, which was excellent even though I had reservations about the subject matter. I'm currently reading Obscura by Joe Hart and the nonfiction book, Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari

Comment

Just finished THE BEST OF SUBTERRANEAN (whew...not used to those massives tomes anymore). Now starting an old noir from Gil Brewer. Next up will be a horror selection, either Tremblay's new one (CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD) or the only Ketchum I've not yet read (and given he sadly passed away a while ago, also unfortunately the last one I'll ever have a chance to read new), OLD FLAMES.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I finished reading The Green Man-Tales from the Mythic Forest edited by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling. I'm still reading Japan in the Second World War in Color by David Batty and I started on Hard Sentences Crime Fiction Inspired By Alcatraz edited by David James Keaton and Joe Clifford.

Cap

Comment

Just finishing His Father's Son by Bentley Little. An interesting, if uncomfortable story that descends into madness. I liked it with some provisos.

I feel no need to defend Mister Little's honor, as I believe that Ron is already getting paid to do so.
                    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
                      Just finishing His Father's Son by Bentley Little. An interesting, if uncomfortable story that descends into madness. I liked it with some provisos.

I feel no need to defend Mister Little's honor, as I believe that Ron is already getting paid to do so.
                      Being paid quite handsomely I assume.

Comment

I have finished a few books recently. Nothing especially memorable (including The Outsider) except for one.

I decided to reread a classic from one of my favourite authors, Walter Tevis - The Man Who Fell To Earth. I listened on Audible and soon realised that even though I have always owned this in paperback, I didn't recall the story. I guess I had never read it after all unless my memory is completely shot of course.

Anyway, for a story originally published in 1963 (and set in the late eighties) it holds up pretty well. Apparently, he did make some minor revisions around the time they were making the film (mid-seventies). His writing is superb, and his vision of the "future" is well thought out and completely believable. I loved this book, and the narration by George Guidall was outstanding. I thoroughly recommend it.

Has anyone here read much of Walter Tevis? Any thoughts or opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                          I have finished a few books recently. Nothing especially memorable (including The Outsider) except for one.

I decided to reread a classic from one of my favourite authors, Walter Tevis - The Man Who Fell To Earth. I listened on Audible and soon realised that even though I have always owned this in paperback, I didn't recall the story. I guess I had never read it after all unless my memory is completely shot of course.

Anyway, for a story originally published in 1963 (and set in the late eighties) it holds up pretty well. Apparently, he did make some minor revisions around the time they were making the film (mid-seventies). His writing is superb, and his vision of the "future" is well thought out and completely believable. I loved this book, and the narration by George Guidall was outstanding. I thoroughly recommend it.

Has anyone here read much of Walter Tevis? Any thoughts or opinions?
                          I am familiar with some of his novels, primarily from the associated movies but have not read anything from him.

Comment

I'm still reading the Real Life Superheroes book and THE MONSTER OF FRANKENSTEIN, and I started a few others while on vacation: THE DARK SIDE PRESENTS ZOMBIE, CLIVE BARKER'S A-Z OF HORROR, and BLOODLANDS: THE BRICK SLAYER.

Comment

Finished REAL LIFE SUPER HEROES, which was quite illuminating, and even had a shocking twist at the end, and also finished BLOODLANDS: THE BRICK SLAYER, which was excellent. Just starting the WEREWOLF BY NIGHT OMNIBUS, and almost done with BLOODLANDS: THE PIED PIPER, which is just chilling.....

Comment

I just finished reading Lone Ranger/Green Hornet: Champions of Justice. CoJ has a very complex plot. In this book Dan Reid is a wealthy middle aged publisher. The Lone Ranger is an old man (No mask) and his identity as The Lone Ranger is common knowledge. Dan Reid passes from a heart attack or stroke. Tonto sacrifices himself and The Lone Ranger dies while saving a scientist.

Cap
                                Last edited by c marvel; 08-12-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X