What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I am reading Only Child by Jack Ketchum. This has been on my list every year for the last four years to read and I finally pulled the trigger on it. One of the best books of his so far. Hope it continues this way.

I am also reading Trigger Warnings by Neil Gaiman and not that thrilled so far. Put it down for awhile. His weakest collection so far.
    I've had the limited of Only Child in my TBR for a few years as well. I'm glad to hear it's good.

I'm currently about 200 pages into The Passage and so far I really like it.

Comment

I read The House of Sighs by Aaron Dries, and was damn impressed. A truly wonderful talent. I was so glad I got to meet him at WHC and bought his other two novels and got him to sign them.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

I am also reading Trigger Warnings by Neil Gaiman and not that thrilled so far. Put it down for awhile. His weakest collection so far.
        I thought there were some weak stories here, but overall I loved it. Not nearly as good as Smoke and Mirrors, I thought, but I did think it was stronger than Fragile Things. My biggest disappointment was that it didn't have the story "How the Marquis Got His Coat Back" included.

Comment

Currently reading 'Floating Dragon', by Straub. The writing is sublime, it has me completely and utterly hooked. I really need to read more Straub this year - has anyone read the 'Blue Rose' trilogy?
          I have 'If You Could See Me Now' and 'Full Circle' in the TBR pile, might have to bump them up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
            Currently reading 'Floating Dragon', by Straub. The writing is sublime, it has me completely and utterly hooked. I really need to read more Straub this year - has anyone read the 'Blue Rose' trilogy?
            I have 'If You Could See Me Now' and 'Full Circle' in the TBR pile, might have to bump them up a bit.
            I really enjoyed the Blue Rose trilogy, though the books are only loosely connected. I had a hard time with Koko, but I think that's because it was the first book of Straub's that I had read after Ghost Story and what I was expecting was different than what I got. I really need to revisit it. I thoroughly enjoyed both Mystery and The Throat. I couldn't put either one down. Immensely readable. I also saw on your collection thread that you picked up The Juniper Tree collection. I would probably read that after completing the trilogy as the stories concern characters introduced in the other books.

If You Could See Me Know and Full Circle (also published as Julia, I believe) are both really good, though I wouldn't quite put them in the same league as Straub's other supernatural books (Ghost Story, Floating Dragon, Shadowland). Definitely worth a read. This talk of Straub has me wanting to finally delve into A Dark Matter!
            Last edited by Sock Monkey; 05-18-2015, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              I really enjoyed the Blue Rose trilogy, though the books are only loosely connected. I had a hard time with Koko, but I think that's because it was the first book of Straub's that I had read after Ghost Story and what I was expecting was different than what I got. I really need to revisit it. I thoroughly enjoyed both Mystery and The Throat. I couldn't put either one down. Immensely readable. I also saw on your collection thread that you picked up The Juniper Tree collection. I would probably read that after completing the trilogy as the stories concern characters introduced in the other books.

If You Could See Me Know and Full Circle (also published as Julia, I believe) are both really good, though I wouldn't quite put them in the same league as Straub's other supernatural books (Ghost Story, Floating Dragon, Shadowland). Definitely worth a read. This talk of Straub has me wanting to finally delve into A Dark Matter!
              I've already read 'The Ghost Village', from 'The Juniper Tree', in an anthology, and it was sensational. But yes, I'll wait until I've read the trilogy.
              I've attempted 'Shadowland' twice, and given up within 50 pages both times. Was a long time ago though, so I'm keen to give it another shot soon.

Comment

Lincoln, I read Shadowlands as a younger man and thought it was just so-so, but then reread it as an older person and really appreciated it.

I just read the Aaron Dries novella And the Night Growled Back. Seriously, this writer is impressing the hell out of me, folks should give him a try.

Comment

Originally posted by markgunnells View Post
                  Lincoln, I read Shadowlands as a younger man and thought it was just so-so, but then reread it as an older person and really appreciated it.
                  Good to know, Mark. Will definitely give it another shot soon.

Comment

I read If You Could See Me Now a couple years back, and really enjoyed it - it was my first Straub book. I felt it maybe became bogged down a bit at times, but overall was a very enjoyable book.

I just finished Bentley Little's The Revelation - loved it!

And this weekend - started The Scarlet Gospels

Comment

I had to read myself out of a hole this weekend. I was in the middle of Four books. Lt. Ramesy's War, Even, Pelquin's Comet and The Sword of the North. Finished up the first two, plowing throught the third, should be done tonight. Looking forward to finishing sword later this week.
                      Mike

Comment

Hacked my way through Pride and Prejudice (I had to get Jane Austen off my TBR for good: *** on GR) and am now reading Finder's Keepers.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Sadly, I have to say, that I am disappointed with The Scarlet Gospels. Sure, it has it's moments - the opening part is crazy. I just find it's not living up to the hype (at least my own hype maybe???). It is bloody - it is filled with fantastic imagery, especially in regards to the surroundings/world building (?). There is just something that the more I read, the less I enjoy. And that's surprising to me, being a big fan of Weaveworld, Hellbound Heart as well as his movies.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                            Sadly, I have to say, that I am disappointed with The Scarlet Gospels. Sure, it has it's moments - the opening part is crazy. I just find it's not living up to the hype (at least my own hype maybe???). It is bloody - it is filled with fantastic imagery, especially in regards to the surroundings/world building (?). There is just something that the more I read, the less I enjoy. And that's surprising to me, being a big fan of Weaveworld, Hellbound Heart as well as his movies.
                            I have not read it yet, but it makes me remember when it was first talked about that it was supposed to be a huge novel and, assuming that was true, I wonder what happened and if the decision to reduce it so much cost the story in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                              I have not read it yet, but it makes me remember when it was first talked about that it was supposed to be a huge novel and, assuming that was true, I wonder what happened and if the decision to reduce it so much cost the story in the long run.
                              Some parts seemed forced, and not enjoying some of the banter between characters - I don't want to say too much for people who have not read it.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                                It started out as a short story for a new collection, before growing into a massive 200K word manuscript over the years. I guess Clive decided it was better to go tighter and more focused. I'm really curious how much of that material will appear in the Earthling limited edition.

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                                Some parts seemed forced, and not enjoying some of the banter between characters - I don't want to say too much for people who have not read it.
                                I felt this way too about the banter between Harry and his friends. It was just really unnatural and tin-eared. I wouldn't have objected to Clive cutting that dialogue.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed the book. It wasn't exactly the book I envisioned, but I'm fine with that. Considering the hell Clive has been through, I think it's amazing the book came out as well as it did. He's really been through the wringer over the past couple of years, so I'm glad he finally got this one out.

edit: listening to Clive's Wired podcast interview, he cut the length because it wandered. He wanted it to be more raw and impactful.
                                Last edited by Plasticine; 06-03-2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X