No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on the last book in RJ Barker's Wounded Kingdom Series, Age of Assassins, Blood of Assassins and King of Assassins. I have to say it's a great series but pure tragedy, a fantasy Macbeth. I'm loving it. Lots of meaningful themes interwoven with a dark grim story and setting. The people in the book are so dirty, I almost want to take a shower every time I read a few chapters. I highly recommend it. Anderida Books is offering limiteds of these titles, if anyone is interested.

Comment

I just started the third volume in The Expanse Series - Abaddon's Gate. Even though I finished the second fairly recently, it felt like I skipped a book somewhere, but I didn't. There's just so much going on, and I don't remember every single detail about what I read, PLUS I've been watching the TV series of the same, so lots of the story points are getting mixed up.

And like I said in the Misery thread - I'm old.

Just prior to this, I finished the second and third volumes of Becky Chambers's Wayfarer series - A Closed and Common Orbit, and Record of a Spaceborn Few. I love these books and recommend them to anyone who I can. Plus I love the UK covers:

Capture.jpg

Comment

I just started Steven Adler's autobiography MY APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION, and I'm blowing through it....great read. Man, I'm a big GNR fan, but they're all a bunch of horrible scumbags. This is the second book I've read about the band, and none of them come off as even remotely likeable.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I felt the same way about the Allman Brothers, one of my all-time favorite bands. The first book I read was Scott Freeman’s Midnight Riders: The Story of The Allman Brothers Band, published in 1995. It was pretty good. A few dark things were brought out, lots for criticism about how they weren’t doing anything original, living off of Duane’s legend, etc, all the dope stuff. My Cross to Bear Gregg Allman’s Autobiography was just bad. Some people called it frank, he just comes across as a selfish, morally/emotional damaged AH. But damn, when he was on, that boy could sing. And I guess that’s what matters.

Comment

One of my favorite musical biographies is by Alex Skonik - the lead guitarist from Testament and The Alex Skonik Trio. I don't want to say I'm surprised by his talent or his smarts, but I kind of was. He's definitely not the atypical heavy metal guitarist.

Geek to Guitar Hero

Comment

Starting to make my way through three or four Crippen & Landru S/L HCs I picked up a while back...started the first one a few days ago, Brendan DuBois' DARK SNOW. Really good stuff...it's my introduction to his work, and but if the rest of it is this interesting and dark, it may not be my last.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I'm enjoying Dragon Lady Press Thrilling Adventure Strips #10-Dick Tracy: The Russian Exchange by Max Collins and Dick Locher.

Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

A Collapse Of Horses by Brian Evenson. Enjoying it so far.

and

Hostage To The Devil by Malachi Martin. I go back and forth between this and my latest book. It's a very interesting book.
                  Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I just finished Elizabeth Moon's "Paladin's Legacy" series (I think it's called that). It's the follow up to her original trilogy called The Deed of Paksenarrion. I really enjoyed this series, but it has some major problems. Mostly it lacks focus. The original trilogy followed a single character the whole way through and told her story. This one follows so many characters and story lines that it doesn't really do them all justice. Especially when it tries to tie them up in the end. Don't get me wrong, it's still really good, but just when compared to the original trilogy it's kinda falters. The other main problem is that the main character from the original trilogy "Paksenarrion" is still a character in this series, but it used so sparingly that it's like the author was afraid to use her.

In the end, having finished the series, I'm kinda left "unsatisfied". I want more, and not in the way where it was so good that it just wasn't enough, but in the way that it sorta feels incomplete. I'd definitely reccomend the original trilogy, The Deed of Paksenarrion, this 5 book follow up I think is worth the read, but certainly not a necessity.
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Dan Do you read the honor Harrington books?

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        Dan Do you read the honor Harrington books?
                        I'm not familiar with those.
                        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I just finished reading Hard Sentences: Crime Fiction Inspired By Alcatraz edited by David James Keaton and Joe Clifford from Broken River Books. I was really excited to begin reading this anthology. I'm sorry to report it was a major disappointment. The introduction by one of the editors was weird, so weird, I had to start over and reread the introduction. The stories in Hard Sentences to me were just oddball or strange-Some made no sense to me. Out of nineteen stories I found few I both liked and understood.

Cap

Comment

Finished the third volume in The Expanse series - Abaddon’s Gate - and it left me disappointed. For as much fun and exciting the first two entries were, This was lacking in most areas. Hopefully the fourth volume is better.

And now just starting Ken Liu’s short story collection The Paper Menagerie And Other Stories.

Comment

I'm still reading Japan in the Second World War in Color by David Batty and I'm enjoying The Complete Max Collins/Rick Fletcher #2 Who Shot Pat Patton?

Cap

Comment

Being part of this board exposes me to many authors and books I would never have read otherwise. I'm currently reading The Rising by Brian Keene and liking it a lot. I am also listening to Old Man's War by John Scalzi, which I think is fantastic.
                                My TBR list is enormous.
                                Thanks for all the recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                                X