What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished Leigh Bardugo's "Hell Bent". This was book II in the "Ninth House" series. Overall, it was a very fun read. If you enjoyed Ninth House, then you will definitely enjoy this one too. Can't wait to see where the next book in the series goes!

Will be reading the Thunderstorm Books LE of Christopher Golden's Road of Bones next!
    I am nearing completion of Owen King's "The Curator". I link it to your comments because it keeps reminding me of "Ninth House". I do not mean that as a complement as "Ninth House" was a slog for me. Unfortunately, "The Curator" is leaving the same feeling. The story is "meh" and I have failed to connect with any characters. If you like "Ninth House" you may really enjoy this. Both of them make me remember everything I disliked about Science Fiction in my youth. A bunch of world building at the expense of an intriguing story or character development. I am not done so it may change but I see no evidence that it will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I am nearing completion of Owen King's "The Curator". I link it to your comments because it keeps reminding me of "Ninth House". I do not mean that as a complement as "Ninth House" was a slog for me. Unfortunately, "The Curator" is leaving the same feeling. The story is "meh" and I have failed to connect with any characters. If you like "Ninth House" you may really enjoy this. Both of them make me remember everything I disliked about Science Fiction in my youth. A bunch of world building at the expense of an intriguing story or character development. I am not done so it may change but I see no evidence that it will get better.
      Glad to hear your feelings on both books. I've been torn about whether or not to pick-up the new Owen King book. I loved "We're All in This Together"; however, everything else I've read by him has left me cold. Was hoping that someone would convince me that the new one was a return to form. Don't think that is going to happen as the reception to this one has been pretty muted (at least in the corners of the interweb that I haunt).

Comment

Finishing up Peter Heller's THE PAINTER, and will then -- finally -- start LITERARY HAUNTINGS.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished the Thunderstorm Books LE of Christopher Golden's "Road of Bones". Enjoyed the heck out of this one! Very real feeling characters, and the Kolyma highway was a very cool setting for a story. Also enjoyed the mythology in this one. Had a very unique antagonist that I found to be quite chilling, had a sort of Lovecraftian feel to it. Overall, very glad to add this to both my Thunderstorm and Golden collections.

Am currently reading the DRP Anniversary edition of Jack Ketchum's "Offspring" that I received last week. One of my all-time favorite writers and stories. Love the Dead River series and the "Woman" character.

Comment

Just finished the DRP Anniversary edition of Jack Ketchum's "Offspring". The DRP edition turned out really well with one big caveat. To start with the positive, I really love both the cover and interior artwork, and that the book is oversized. Fits the story perfectly and matches the DRP Offseason very well. The book cloth and other materials used also seem to be of very good quality. Also has a cool signature page signed by the editors and Thomas Moteleone. Also love all of the bonus features such as the film photos, interviews, and screenplay. Nice to have all of that stuff together in one place.

All that being said, there was one big issue with this book. It has way more typos than was acceptable to me. I felt like I was catching at least one every few chapters. Even worse, I found a "doubling" of text on page 128. I try to give a little leeway when it comes to typos/text issues but had a hard time with this book, especially when you add in the fact that it took over 4 years to produce this book and that it is a limited edition. LE's really should be as close to perfect as possible, and it feels like more than enough time to catch these sort of errors in production. I've never really noticed this sort of issue in any of the past DRP books that I have purchased and decided to reach out to them because of it. They essentially told me that the book was proofread multiple times and that some of the errors may have been created in the design process. Wasn't exactly thrilled with that response. If a design process can create this sort of issue with the text, then shouldn't there be some sort of review process to check/catch it before publishing?ÂÂÂ Oh well, enough of my whining. Overall, without this issue, this would have been a darn near perfect release in my opinion.

Side Note- Does typos in a book remind anyone else of a scratched vinyl record?

Comment

Finally finished the never ending anthology Screams From the Dark ed. by Ellen Datlow.

After Screams started The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard.

Nearly half way through and really liking TPBE up to this point.

West Point cadet Edgar Allan Poe assists a Holmes-esque retired detective investigating an apparent suicide & body desecration at the academy.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                Finally finished the never ending anthology Screams From the Dark ed. by Ellen Datlow.

B

I've been struggling through SCREAMS since I received an ARC last summer. No matter how much I read, I never seem to get any closer to the end. A few good stories, but mostly garbage. This will be my last Datlow anthology, for sure.
                http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just finished the Infernal House LE of Jack Ketchum's "The Woman". Have read other versions of "The Woman" in the past and am happy to say that it holds up well. Ketchum is one of my all-time favorites and it makes me a bit sad to know we'll never get another entry in the Dead River series to find out what happens to the Woman. In terms of production values, they are top-notch! Know next to nothing about Infernal House as a publisher as I purchased this title on the secondary market, and they now seem to be out of business. Too bad as I would definitely be a customer if this edition is indicative of their production standards. If I had one small gripe with this edition, it would be that the book w/case is too large for a standard bookcase. Other than that, this edition is pretty sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                    Just finished the Infernal House LE of Jack Ketchum's "The Woman". Have read other versions of "The Woman" in the past and am happy to say that it holds up well. Ketchum is one of my all-time favorites and it makes me a bit sad to know we'll never get another entry in the Dead River series to find out what happens to the Woman. In terms of production values, they are top-notch! Know next to nothing about Infernal House as a publisher as I purchased this title on the secondary market, and they now seem to be out of business. Too bad as I would definitely be a customer if this edition is indicative of their production standards. If I had one small gripe with this edition, it would be that the book w/case is too large for a standard bookcase. Other than that, this edition is pretty sweet!
                    Infernal House was a higher end press published by Larry Roberts (Bloodletting Press, Morningstar Press).

Only published 4 books under the Infernal House imprint.

B

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

I've been struggling through SCREAMS since I received an ARC last summer. No matter how much I read, I never seem to get any closer to the end. A few good stories, but mostly garbage. This will be my last Datlow anthology, for sure.
                      HA HA!!

My thoughts exactly.

At 480 pages of relatively small print, it is one of those books that just seems to take forever to finish.

Of the 29 stories, I probably liked about a third of them. Probably another third I was ambivalent about; read & quickly forgotten, neither memorable from a positive or negative reaction.

Another third I probably actively disliked.

It could have easily been halved and still would have been a sizable anthology.

I also have to question the marketing strategy. Advertised as an anthology of monster stories, most of the stories tended more towards the fantastical, rather than the monstrous or horrific.

I know I have a couple of more Datlow anthologies in the TBR pile (one of which is Edited By, another door stopper of a book), so this won’t be my last go with a Datlow book, but in and of itself this one was certainly disappointing.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Infernal House was a higher end press published by Larry Roberts (Bloodletting Press, Morningstar Press).

Only published 4 books under the Infernal House imprint.

B
                        Interesting! I do have a few Bloodletting & Morningstar books but didn't know of the Infernal House affiliation. Thanks for that info B!

Comment

Infernal House published huge traycased editions that retailed for around $175.00. They published Keene's Darkness on the Edge of Town, Ketchum's The Woman, something by Edward Lee, and there was a fourth that may or may not have been published that was written by a Bizarro author, which I passed on when it was solicited. Gorgeous books, but the imprint was a casualty of the implosion of Delirium and Horror Mall.
                          http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just started the DRP limited edition of Josh Malerman's "Malorie". Have been holding off reading this novel until the DRP LE was finally in-hand (was delayed 4 years in production). Only about 75 pages in, but, based on the killer opening, I'm pretty sure that this book is going to be great. What a way to start this story! Also really digging the interior Glen Chadbourne artwork!

Comment

Infernal House published huge traycased editions that retailed for around $175.00. They published Keene's Darkness on the Edge of Town, Ketchum's The Woman, something by Edward Lee, and there was a fourth that may or may not have been published that was written by a Bizarro author, which I passed on when it was solicited. Gorgeous books, but the imprint was a casualty of the implosion of Delirium and Horror Mall.
                              Thanks for that info! One day, when I have time, I'll have to see if I can read up on the implosion of Delirium and Horror Mall as that sort of thing interests me. Without knowing the background, I can truly say that it's a bummer that it also took down Infernal House as each of the book you mention are quite nice. Only have the Ketchum title, but would love to track down the others assuming they can be had at a reasonable price.

Comment

I can’t recall the title, but Laird Barron wrote the 4th book.
                                B

Comment

Working...
                                X