What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I go into every King book any more wondering if he’s got one more great one in him.

For me, Billy Summers was his next great book.

Certainly my favorite going back 15 years (Duma Key), arguably his best in the last 25 years (circa late 90’s Green Mile & Wizard and Glass).

Let the count down start again with Fairy Tale.

B
    Duma Key and 11/22/63 definitely the highlights for me after the classics. Revival seems to have tripped a lot of triggers but it was garbage for me. Yet I own a flat signed copy and other varies states of the book. Billy Summers for pretty good for me and once it cools off a bit, I'm looking forward to a trip down to Don's Place.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Duma Key and 11/22/63 definitely the highlights for me after the classics. Revival seems to have tripped a lot of triggers but it was garbage for me. Yet I own a flat signed copy and other varies states of the book. Billy Summers for pretty good for me and once it cools off a bit, I'm looking no forward to a trip down to Don's Place.
      Yeah, I was pretty ambivalent about Revival when I first read it a couple of years ago.

Reread it last fall and came away with a much greater appreciation for the story.

Certainly not one of King’s better books overall, but probably one of the better books he’s written since the late 90’s.

I could say the same thing about Horns by Joe Hill. Also reread it last fall and had a much greater appreciation for the story the second time around, probably even more so than with Revival.

B

Comment

Just finished Don Winslow's "City on Fire". Don Winslow is my favorite living crime writer; however, his last novel, "The Force" just didn't work for me. There was nothing wrong with it per se, it just didn't leave me with the usual feeling that I have upon completing one of his novels, that I've just read something truly special. It was more like a double versus the home run that he usually hits. "City on Fire" is the return to form that I was hoping for. It has everything that makes a Don Winslow book great, an amazing story, fantastic dialogue, realistic characters and settings, etc. If you like crime fiction, this is a book you should definitely check-out. This book is the beginning of a trilogy which some people may not like. For me, in this case, that is a plus since I consider his last "Cartel" trilogy to be some of the best crime books that I have ever read!

I think I will read Dalton Trumbo's "Johnny Got His Gun" next. I have never read the book or author and have no idea what to expect. I was lucky enough to score a copy via Suntup's dinged-book sale a while back and figure now is the time to finally give it a read.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
          Just finished Don Winslow's "City on Fire". Don Winslow is my favorite living crime writer; however, his last novel, "The Force" just didn't work for me. There was nothing wrong with it per se, it just didn't leave me with the usual feeling that I have upon completing one of his novels, that I've just read something truly special. It was more like a double versus the home run that he usually hits. "City on Fire" is the return to form that I was hoping for. It has everything that makes a Don Winslow book great, an amazing story, fantastic dialogue, realistic characters and settings, etc. If you like crime fiction, this is a book you should definitely check-out. This book is the beginning of a trilogy which some people may not like. For me, in this case, that is a plus since I consider his last "Cartel" trilogy to be some of the best crime books that I have ever read!

I think I will read Dalton Trumbo's "Johnny Got His Gun" next. I have never read the book or author and have no idea what to expect. I was lucky enough to score a copy via Suntup's dinged-book sale a while back and figure now is the time to finally give it a read.
          I'm not a huge crime fiction guy, but your praise has me intrigued.

Comment

Yeah, I was pretty ambivalent about Revival when I first read it a couple of years ago.

Reread it last fall and came away with a much greater appreciation for the story.

Certainly not one of King’s better books overall, but probably one of the better books he’s written since the late 90’s.

I could say the same thing about Horns by Joe Hill. Also reread it last fall and had a much greater appreciation for the story the second time around, probably even more so than with Revival.

B
            Horns is my favorite Hill novel. Loaded is probably his best story for me overall. I'm also a big fan of Locke & Key and NOS4A2.

Comment

Horns is my favorite Hill novel. Loaded is probably his best story for me overall. I'm also a big fan of Locke & Key and NOS4A2.
              Heart Shaped Box is my top Hill novel, but I like them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Heart Shaped Box is my top Hill novel, but I like them all.
                NOS4A2 just noses out Heart Shaped Box as my favorite Hill novel, followed by Horns & The Fireman, but I agree, I’ve enjoyed them all.

I‘ve also enjoyed his short story collections 20th Century Ghost & Full Throttle (& to a lesser degree, Strange Weather).

B

Comment

Loaded was definitely my favorite story in Strange Weather, followed by Rain. Snapshot was OK and didn’t care for Cloud.

He’s got so many great short stories that I don’t think I could just pick one, but if I had to I would probably go with Involuntary Committal.

As much as I like JH as an author, I’ve never read any of his graphic novels. Just not my thing.

B

Comment

Loaded was definitely my favorite story in Strange Weather, followed by Rain. Snapshot was OK and didn’t care for Cloud.

He’s got so many great short stories that I don’t think I could just pick one, but if I had to I would probably go with Involuntary Committal.

As much as I like JH as an author, I’ve never read any of his graphic novels. Just not my thing.

B
                    Locke and Key is a great story that happens to be illustrated.

Comment

B
                      Cloud was just silly.

Comment

Locke and Key is a great story that happens to be illustrated.
                        Very well stated as well as very true.

Comment

Cloud was just silly.
                          I will assume you guys are talking about the story Aloft. I will agree that it was silly at times, but I found it to have a sentimentality to it that I enjoyed.

Comment

Very well stated as well as very true.
                            I have to admit I am not a comics guy. The only comic I read as a child was Mad Magazine (if that qualifies,) I loved Locke and Key!

Comment

I will assume you guys are talking about the story Aloft. I will agree that it was silly at times, but I found it to have a sentimentality to it that I enjoyed.
                              Yes lol. Cloud probably should have been the name.

Comment

Yes lol. Cloud probably should have been the name.
                                I actually think the title Aloft speaks as much to the protagonist's state of mind as the overall situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X