What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Am about halfway through Jeff Vandermeer's "Hummingbird Salamander". Adore Vandermeer's previous books, but was very, very close to DNF'ing this one. The first 100 pages are completely bewildering (obviously intentional by the author, but still very confusing as a reader). The sentence structures are also a bit odd and take some getting used-to. Luckily for me, the story seems to have finally taken a turn and I can finally get a sense of what I'm reading and where this one may be going. Think I will finish the one after all.
    I sprung for the rather expensive limited edition of this and have been doubting my decision ever since. Reviews have been middling and it seems like the consensus is that it just isn't that great of a book. It's on my shelf so I'm sure I'll get to one day, but I kinda wish I'd just picked up the trade paperback.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I sprung for the rather expensive limited edition of this and have been doubting my decision ever since. Reviews have been middling and it seems like the consensus is that it just isn't that great of a book. It's on my shelf so I'm sure I'll get to one day, but I kinda wish I'd just picked up the trade paperback.
      Yeah, having that same expensive limited edition is what I think kept me from DNF'ing it. Luckily, it has gotten a bit better.

Comment

About half way through The Bone Weaver’s Orchard by Sarah Read.

Not being invested in either the story line or the characters is making this short novel a slow read to this point.

B

Comment

Am about halfway through Jeff Vandermeer's "Hummingbird Salamander". Adore Vandermeer's previous books, but was very, very close to DNF'ing this one. The first 100 pages are completely bewildering (obviously intentional by the author, but still very confusing as a reader). The sentence structures are also a bit odd and take some getting used-to. Luckily for me, the story seems to have finally taken a turn and I can finally get a sense of what I'm reading and where this one may be going. Think I will finish the one after all.
          I tried to read one of Vandermeer’s collections awhile back (probably 15 years ago now - Secret Lives(??)) and couldn’t finish it, which kind of put me off of his writing.

I did like his story in Taverns of the Dead, so I may need to give him another try.

Have to admit, the premise for his Southern Reach trilogy does sound interesting.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I tried to read one of Vandermeer’s collections awhile back (probably 15 years ago now - Secret Lives(??)) and couldn’t finish it, which kind of put me off of his writing.

I did like his story in Taverns of the Dead, so I may need to give him another try.

Have to admit, the premise for his Southern Reach trilogy does sound interesting.

B
            Can definitely recommend the Southern Reach trilogy! It's probably some of his strongest writing. Secret Lives is definitely an outlier among his books and reads a lot like a writing experiment; so, I can understand if you found that one off-putting.

Comment

Just finished Jeff Vandermeer's "Hummingbird Salamander". Hurts me to write this because I'm such a huge Vandermeer fan, but IMO this was one of the worst books that I have read in ages. The first half of the book is very bewildering and off-putting. The second half is slightly better, if only because you can finally grasp the edges of an actual story. Love Vandermeer's dedication to nature and conservation, but this one was a slog and felt like one long screed to nature and his philosophy of conservation. Sure wish I hadn't picked-up the signed LE. Hopefully his next book is a return to form because I do generally love his writing!

Think I will be starting Jonathan Janz's "Blood Country" next!

Comment

About half way through The Bone Weaver’s Orchard by Sarah Read.

Not being invested in either the story line or the characters is making this short novel a slow read to this point.

B
                DNF’d The Bone Weaver’s Orchard at the half way point. Very disappointing, especially after all the glowing reviews I read about it.

Started A Sliver of Darkness, the first short story collection from CJ Tudor.

I’m a big fan of Tudor’s work, and 125 pages in and enjoying it a lot.

B

Comment

Just finished Jeff Vandermeer's "Hummingbird Salamander". Hurts me to write this because I'm such a huge Vandermeer fan, but IMO this was one of the worst books that I have read in ages. The first half of the book is very bewildering and off-putting. The second half is slightly better, if only because you can finally grasp the edges of an actual story. Love Vandermeer's dedication to nature and conservation, but this one was a slog and felt like one long screed to nature and his philosophy of conservation. Sure wish I hadn't picked-up the signed LE. Hopefully his next book is a return to form because I do generally love his writing!

Think I will be starting Jonathan Janz's "Blood Country" next!
                  I was worried about this with HUMMINGBIRD. The bad reviews have killed my desire to read the book. Now to decide between letting the limited sit on the shelf and maybe come around to reading it at some point in the distant future or just dump it in the secondary market and move on.

To be honest, I kinda feel like the limited edition was overpriced for what was delivered. This should’ve been a $60-70 book in my opinion, not $125.

Comment

Just finished Jonathan Janz's "Blood Country", a sequel to "The Raven". Really enjoyed the heck out of this one like I do most of Janz's books. The characterization was top-notch. The worldbuilding in this series is also really fun. Lots of cool and in some cases very unexpected monsters for the group to run across and in some cases battle. Author also isn't afraid to kill his darlings in this one. Looking forward to the next book in this series!

Think I will be reading Leigh Bardugo's "Hell Bent" next. Really enjoyed her "Ninth House" book a few years ago and this one is a sequel to that.

Comment

Screams from the Dark, a very large (nearly 500 pages) anthology of monster stories edited by Ellen Datlow.

Only 4 stories in at this point, so the jury is still out on this one, though I really did like the opening piece by Ian Rogers.

B

Comment

DNF’d The Bone Weaver’s Orchard at the half way point. Very disappointing, especially after all the glowing reviews I read about it.
                        That's disappointing - I too picked it up (and Out of Water based on some of the reviews). I haven't read it yet though - maybe I'll have a different experience.

Comment

Finished up Mexican Gothic which I LOVED - can't wait to read more from Silvia Morena-Garcia.

Also finally got around to reading Replay from Ken Grimwood. I remember this being on my radar for years but never read it. Love it as well! Even though I'm not a time traveler (or am I?) I could relate because I would probably done the same things the main character did - make lots of money, have lots of sex, take lots of drugs, and then figure out what I really should be doing with this "opportunity".

Currently reading Hidden Pictures from Jason Rekulak. Got a good Kindle deal a while back and it was handy since I was currently using my Kindle. Enjoying it so far - about 20% done I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                            Finished up Mexican Gothic which I LOVED - can't wait to read more from Silvia Morena-Garcia.

Also finally got around to reading Replay from Ken Grimwood. I remember this being on my radar for years but never read it. Love it as well! Even though I'm not a time traveler (or am I?) I could relate because I would probably done the same things the main character did - make lots of money, have lots of sex, take lots of drugs, and then figure out what I really should be doing with this "opportunity".

Currently reading Hidden Pictures from Jason Rekulak. Got a good Kindle deal a while back and it was handy since I was currently using my Kindle. Enjoying it so far - about 20% done I think.
                            REPLAY is wonderful, one of my favorite books since I read it back in the late '80s, maybe early '90s.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished DON'T LET THEM GET YOU DOWN by Philip Fracassi, and previous to that was Sarah Pinborough's BEHIND HER EYES. Both were very good reads, though each fell short of excellent for varying (and different) reasons. Not sure what I'm onto next...maybe some genre-related non-fiction, like LITERARY HAUNTINGS from Tartarus Press.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished Leigh Bardugo's "Hell Bent". This was book II in the "Ninth House" series. Overall, it was a very fun read. If you enjoyed Ninth House, then you will definitely enjoy this one too. Can't wait to see where the next book in the series goes!

Will be reading the Thunderstorm Books LE of Christopher Golden's Road of Bones next!

Comment

Working...
                                X