X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slayn666
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

I think the most aggregious example of over production was on the gift edition of IT. I think we had something like 2 full pallets of extra slipcases for that book.
    You frame this as a problem, but all I can see is an opportunity to build a sweet fort.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

You say that, but we tried selling them. No one wanted them. In reality anyone who already has the book already has the case, and the case doesn't actually do you any good without the book. Unless your case is damaged.
    Interesting. So much for that.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Dan, you could retire on the profits from those IT slipcases
    You say that, but we tried selling them. No one wanted them. In reality anyone who already has the book already has the case, and the case doesn't actually do you any good without the book. Unless your case is damaged.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I think the most aggregious example of over production was on the gift edition of IT. I think we had something like 2 full pallets of extra slipcases for that book.
    Dan, you could retire on the profits from those IT slipcases

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post

"Purging" just sounds so sad... I'd love to give extra traycases a home. They'd make my books fell special, haha!
    Unfortunately there just isn't really a home to give these extras. Generally speaking people just aren't interested in a case that doesn't go to their book. And if they already have the book, they already have a case for it. Luckily in more recent years the case manufactures have gotten much better about being closer to our actual order quantity (they're allowed something like 10% over or under our order quantity). I think the most aggregious example of over production was on the gift edition of IT. I think we had something like 2 full pallets of extra slipcases for that book.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied

Unless it's something that was released in the last couple of years or is a Stephen King book, than the answer is probably no. In this case it's no. I'm actually in the process of purging a lot of the newer stuff too, just no real reason to sit on loads of extras of some of this stuff.
    "Purging" just sounds so sad... I'd love to give extra traycases a home. They'd make my books fell special, haha!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    Hey Dan, any chance you guys have an extra traycase for Biofire hidden away somewhere?

A hearty "LOL" is an acceptable response here, for what it's worth, as I recognize CD published that one over 20 years ago.
    Unless it's something that was released in the last couple of years or is a Stephen King book, than the answer is probably no. In this case it's no. I'm actually in the process of purging a lot of the newer stuff too, just no real reason to sit on loads of extras of some of this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    Hey Dan, any chance you guys have an extra traycase for Biofire hidden away somewhere?

A hearty "LOL" is an acceptable response here, for what it's worth, as I recognize CD published that one over 20 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied

Sounds like the glue came undone.
    that's what I was worried about. Ah well, simple enough fix I suppose. Thanks, Dan!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    A question for anyone that has the lettered edition of Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth: is the traycase supposed to have two flaps, one on each side? The front one opens up like you'd expect, to the book. The back one just opens up on the bottom side of the traycase. It's very weird.
    Sounds like the glue came undone.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    A question for anyone that has the lettered edition of Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth: is the traycase supposed to have two flaps, one on each side? The front one opens up like you'd expect, to the book. The back one just opens up on the bottom side of the traycase. It's very weird.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I have that one marked down for my next Camelot order...really looking forward to it. If anything, it sounds perhaps even better than some of the bookish titles that Mark Valentine has released through Tartarus, and that’s saying something.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I’ve just read R.B. Russell’s Past Lives of Old Books, an Essay contained in his recent book also entitled, The Past Lives of Books and other Essays published by Tartarus Press. In it, Russell discusses his fondness for a particular set of Arthur Machen books that were gifted to him many years ago. These books aren’t pristine collectables, rather they are old, world weary discarded library books, published sometime in the 1920s. His Essay brought to mind a number of ex-library books that I have in my collection. My First Chapter book, Dan Morgan, Riflemen, A less than perfect copy of Richard Matheson’s Bid Time Return, from the Peninsula Community Library, Ray Bradbury’s October Country, 1st edition, from an unknown US Air Force library, unclipped dust Jacket showing a $3.50, Amazing condition! Lots of Reference titles that I could never afford in a perfect state. One of my favorites, Alvin J. Schmidt’s Fraternal Organizations, basically a history of American Lodge work. I’ve always been glad I have room for the interesting imperfect in my collection. These Tartarus titles that focus on books and collecting are fantastic. They’re very affordable and insightful.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    I got a shrink-wrapped book, too!

I'll probably open it.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Thanks Ron, The Paperback is an Australian edition from 1963. How did it end up in Richmond VA is anyone's Guess LOL!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X