No announcement yet.

Good deals and bargains...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny that is what I was thinking about Sub. Press. I only order from them during their half price sales unless it is something I really want. I have only paid full price for The Shinning and for the Phillip K. Dick books. Sub press does not offer as much as other small presses that I get limiteds from that I want but their books are great. For this sale I got the new Joe R. Lansdale, The Neil Gaiman Interworld set and the new Lawrence Block collection. All authors on my list of must have. I only wish the final volume in the PKD collection was already announced. Would have been nice to get a break since I have the other 4 volumes. Oh well it is not the end of the world.
    Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Really??? I don't see why they would and to be honest, I think they are a necessity. A 50% sale is probably the only time when I can afford to buy most books.

When CD offer these sales periodically, I make a point of stocking up on Gift Cards, so that I can use them on future announcements. If CD ceased doing these sales, I couldn't afford to collect limited editions. It's that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
      I preorder the books I want when they are announced, so I never get to take advantage of these sales. So it boils down to me being punished for being a loyal customer.

To be fair, it's not just a problem with independent publishers, it permeates nearly all retail endeavors.

Edit: I understand why publishers do it, of course, it just irritates me personally .
      I can understand that, however, the most recent CD titles in preorder are NOT eligible, such as Gone Girl and December Park
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Because of the $ situation - I usually don't order when one is announced - there would be no way I could justify it. That being said, I honestly am jealous of those that have the extra $ to spend on these awesome collectible books. Again for me, I am a reader first and foremost, and in most cases I would be happy with a trade HC or even PB as opposed to a book that is worth $250 (as an example) where I'd almost be afraid to open it for fear of it getting damaged, etc. Plus, if I ever spent $250 on one book, my wife would do things to me that would probably make a pretty good horror novel. I do have various collectibles (hockey cards pre 1990, 1:18 scale F1 car models) that do have some pretty good value to them, however it's a case of that value increasing over the years. (I have 1 hockey card that is worth probably close to $1000).

I will say it again though - I am jealous of those who can drop that kind of money on something that is near and dear to them. Congrats for those who are able to do this on a consistent basis.

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
          I can understand that, however, the most recent CD titles in preorder are NOT eligible, such as Gone Girl and December Park
          I was referring more to SubPress and others; CD has sales often-enough that you can usually catch what you want (assuming it isn't excluded).

Comment

I also am jealous a lot of time too, especially lately. If I could afford it, I would definitely get a gift certificate today, but this month is tighter than other recent months
            Spoiler!

Comment

I do both. But I think it's very generous of CD to do as many sales as they do. I know it makes good business sense, but it still feels like a nice thing to do. I always feel lucky when I can add to my collection.
              Mike

Comment

And another "bad" thing for me is I see the titles that were offered before I even knew about CD - and every one that was a "Wow, I really want that", I have checked to see if there were any stragglers, and none.

Comment

There's always the secondary market. Sometimes you get lucky and find them cheaper than the original asking prices. I don't always get to jump on board the CD sales, but I do often enough, most of the time I just get gift cards for future purchases.

Comment

Yes, check out places like eBay. I got a lot older titles for cheaper than what they were originally sold for. I notice that the prices seem to be higher now for a lot of the stuff I got, which I am sure is because the economy has slowly but surely been recovering
                    Spoiler!

Comment

I got the Lansdale leather edition, thanks for the heads up.

Bummed out that I forgot to pull the trigger on Cemetery's 50% off snow deal, forgot till this morning.
                      If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                        Funny that is what I was thinking about Sub. Press. I only order from them during their half price sales unless it is something I really want. I have only paid full price for The Shinning and for the Phillip K. Dick books. Sub press does not offer as much as other small presses that I get limiteds from that I want but their books are great. For this sale I got the new Joe R. Lansdale, The Neil Gaiman Interworld set and the new Lawrence Block collection. All authors on my list of must have. I only wish the final volume in the PKD collection was already announced. Would have been nice to get a break since I have the other 4 volumes. Oh well it is not the end of the world.
                        Thanks for the reminder about the Gaiman books. I had passed since I already had the original Interworld, but at 50% off it was worth it for my collection.
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

The Infinity House by Shane Mackenzie is free for kindle this month. If you have not read any of his books this is a great opportunity. He is awesome. This was his first published book. I picked it up because I have not read this book but have read some of his other books. I now have 4 of his in my tbr pile.

Comment

Douglas Clegg's The Children's Hour is 99¢ at the moment. I got it on Amazon, but it's also available elsewhere.

Comment

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, but I figured I'd pass on the info in case someone on this board is interested:

There is a Best of Cemetery Dance lettered edition listed on Ebay for 799.99. No bids and it's ending in about eighteen hours. Really, really wish I had the money for this...

Comment

Found this sellers eBay page - lots of books, including a first ed (I think) of The Regulators....

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?item=2..._skc=700&rt=nc

Comment

Working...
                                X