Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

His work is indeed quite good, but is, for me, rather difficult to describe, just as they’re not easy reads to digest nor, sometimes, understand. Often oblique, his paranoiac fever dreams focus on the inevitability of doom and hopelessness on the surrealist hostilities and manifestations of psyche his characters battle. It’s esoteric and of a rather decadent European flavor, and my current mood just couldn’t abide 700 pages of that right now. I know I’ll kick myself in a few years, though…fortunately I still have Ash Tree’s HC of THE MOTION DEMON to help soothe the loss.
    Sounds like how I feel about Ramsey Campbell's short stories. I really like his work, but I have to take them in short sips to truly appreciate them. From what you're saying, I'll probably have to parse these stories out over time instead of just plowing right through. That's okay, though. Sometimes I have to remind myself that the joy is primarily in the reading of the book, not from the sense of accomplishment in finishing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Sounds like how I feel about Ramsey Campbell's short stories. I really like his work, but I have to take them in short sips to truly appreciate them. From what you're saying, I'll probably have to parse these stories out over time instead of just plowing right through. That's okay, though. Sometimes I have to remind myself that the joy is primarily in the reading of the book, not from the sense of accomplishment in finishing it.
      Well stated and a wise plan…this is definitely not a volume meant for brevity and quick consumption.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Well stated and a wise plan…this is definitely not a volume meant for brevity and quick consumption.
        The only problem is that I sometimes put off these types of books because they aren't easy reads. I want to read them, but it requires more effort to pick them back up again after I put them down. I'll probably have to work a system to "force" myself to do it. From the table of contents, it looks like the book is broken into relatively small sections, so maybe I'll read a section between other books.

Comment

The only problem is that I sometimes put off these types of books because they aren't easy reads. I want to read them, but it requires more effort to pick them back up again after I put them down. I'll probably have to work a system to "force" myself to do it. From the table of contents, it looks like the book is broken into relatively small sections, so maybe I'll read a section between other books.
          Great idea, as it is several collections in one omnibus. Speaking of Grabinski, I’m featuring one of those collections, THE MOTION DEMON, as a Showcase tweet tomorrow…as you’ll see, it’s a slim volume, so its size complements your plan perfectly.

Comment

I wish those unsigned copies would hurry up and sell out…I’ve visited the page at least a half-dozen times since this morning, and each time I feel my resolve weakening. If the discount was more than ten bucks, or now $285, maybe something closer to $200 or $225, I’d probably spring for a copy, figuring I’d certainly read it at some point down the road.
            Those unsigned copies are still sitting there…just waiting for you to give it a forever home…

Comment

Those unsigned copies are still sitting there…just waiting for you to give it a forever home…
              Were it not for the PS edition of NEEDFUL THINGS and a private pre-order at Sub Press, I probably would’ve succumbed by now…fortunately (or not so fortunately, I suppose) those purchases, both within this same week, have managed thus far to keep me in check.

Comment

I received my Masters of the Weird Tale by Grabinski today. It's another beautiful edition by Centipede Press. I was happy to see that the book came with a mylar cover for the dustjacket and the book slides in and out with no problem. I don't know if it noticeable in the picture, but the endsheets have ridged texture though them which is really nice. I don't know if it's just mine or not, but it I have two title pages. Grabinski's name is clearly printed on both. The first has the rest of the information fairly obscured.

I don't think it comes as much of a surprise to say that the book is up to Centipede's usual standards and is an impressive yet understated volume.

Comment

More photos of the Grabinski volume of Masters of the Weird Tale

Comment

Jared also throws some random things in your shipment sometimes. I recently received a small black and white photo with "Science Fiction Review #1" written in pencil on the back. I also recently received these, which I thought were pretty cool. All are printed on a heavy cardstock. My photos really don't do these justice.

Comment

Here's a few more. I haven't quite decided what I should do with these yet, but I thought that they would be fun to share.

Comment

Very cool! That one piece is definitely from Power of Darkness.

Always cool to get extras in the packages. As long as you don't throw them out, as that would be heartbreaking.

Comment

Well, I thought that this we’d be getting the Frank Belknap Long Library of Weird Fiction volumes in today’s newsletter. Instead we got FEESTERS IN THE LAKE! I’ve heard good things about this collection so I’m very excited for it.

Comment

Well, I thought that this we’d be getting the Frank Belknap Long Library of Weird Fiction volumes in today’s newsletter. Instead we got FEESTERS IN THE LAKE! I’ve heard good things about this collection so I’m very excited for it.
                            Yeah, it sounds good, although I'm not into the Lovecraftian thing at all. Anyway, I don't think I'll have a hard time getting rid of it if I'm not impressed.

Comment

I have the original Midnight House HC volume, but opted for this new volume as well, given the additional material. The general redundancy gave me a bit of a pause, but I knew I’d regret passing on it. May just have to sell the Midnight House version.

BURN, WITCH, BURN is next week. I’m in for that one as well!

Comment

"FEESTERS" was an easy buy: $100 for a Signed & Numbered, over 500 pages, Bob Eggleton fully illustrated universally lauded collection? Deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X