No announcement yet.

Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I got the email about buying Live Girls. At that price I had to pass. I recently got the four book Malerman bundle from SST Publications. Than I waited and did get the CD Credit again. Today I got Castle Enigma which cost more than originally thought. Centipede Press has at least one more book coming out soon that interests me much more than Live Girls.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      No one is forcing anyone on a train.
      Originally posted by jeffingoff
      People do complain about the rights system but I'd rather buy from a publisher who rewards existing customers than one who treats you like a stranger every release.
      I 100% agree with your second point, but the rights system absolutely forces you on a train. You can pretty clearly see this by the number of sales that very explicitly state that rights to future books are not included with whatever's being purchased.

Comment

the rational collector.
        I want to meet that person!

Comment

You can say whatever you want in the Fans of Suntup group. The issues we've come across have to do with people being harassed for being perceived as selling too soon or paying too much or basically picking apart people for their personal decisions. Opinions are wanted and welcome but harassment isn't.

Is the Suntup market inflated and creating a bubble? I don't know. I do know that I've been stunned mute to see The Haunting of Hill House go for $1500 and Red Dragon get $1300 and Silence of the Lambs fetch $2300! Those prices are crazy. But the people who pay them are fine with it. And if there weren't people willing to pay that then the market would be flat or down. No one is tampering with the market or artificially inflating it. There's just a fast-growing number of people who want the books. As suddenly as they've arrived they might leave if their hearts aren't with the books.

No one is forcing anyone on a train. No one is forcing anyone to stay on a train. No one is forcing anyone to sell at insanely high prices. There are a number of Suntup books that are already selling at or below the published price. I imagine more will follow. People will always want those monumental titles though. And the limited print runs will always be a hurdle. People do complain about the rights system but I'd rather buy from a publisher who rewards existing customers than one who treats you like a stranger every release.

You mention the irrational buyers are killing the market for the rational collector. There's tremendous excitement around Suntup right now and that might not sustain for the long term. And it seems you want everyone to calm down and not pay so much to be fair to everyone. But the very nature of limited editions is unfair. The demand is often far greater than the supply. Not everyone can get these books. And I'd say if this is all hype that Suntup doesn't deserve and can't rise to meet, then this bubble would have popped long ago. People would see that the books weren't worth the sacrifice. The train would be derailed two stops after everyone got on board.

There are a tremendous number of books I've missed out on including the numbered edition of Misery. It's just the nature of the game.
          Not to keep derailing the CP thread here, but did want to make clear that I wasn't suggesting that there were any censorship or anything like that going on over on the FB Suntup page (and, didn't know that you were a "mod" - or whatever they call it on FB - until now), nor do I believe there is any "manufactured" inflation going on- at least not consciously. There is a.. steely uniformity that is a bit unnerving, however, and I guess I'll leave it at that. And, I should also make clear that I certainly wasn't throwing you or many other pure, Die Hard Suntup fans in with any of my criticisms. In fact- it's the reverse: folks like you who obviously love, collect- and even READ- every release are what every small press needs, and my point is if there were more of you- there would be more books available for real book lovers- not speculators, who are the ones who seem to be driving these insane prices, primarily with Suntup books. But, I have to say, a lot of the commenters over there really rub my book collecting senses the wrong way. Yep, I understand not everyone need be like me.

Hey, are these criticisms merely sour grapes for being SOL on SOTL? Probably. But- I'm sour on how I was shut out: I refused to play the game and buy the previous book that I didn't want, and everyone knew that was the only way you were going to get a copy. Lots of people are playing that game- which allows the game to continue, unchecked. I guess a lot of folks are excited and happy to keep playing that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I want to meet that person!
            I should remember that I am often not that person.

Comment

There was a guy that used to be on the Forum years ago, I'm sure Ron and some of the older guys remember him. He riled, not just against collecting in general, but small presses in particular. He even had his own blog. Once you got past his anger, he made a number of valid points about our addiction and our suppliers LOL! I think he has since passed away. Can anyone remember his name?? His blog really was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                There was a guy that used to be on the Forum years ago, I'm sure Ron and some of the older guys remember him. He riled, not just against collecting in general, but small presses in particular. He even had his own blog. Once you got past his anger, he made a number of valid points about our addiction and our suppliers LOL! I think he has since passed away. Can anyone remember his name?? His blog really was interesting.
                Doesn’t really ring a bell with me. Odd that someone with those extreme of views against the core interest of this forum would even bother participating, unless trolling was his goal, but it doesn’t sound like that was the case in this instance.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

It's not completely out of the blue for CD specifically as they have a history of releasing new books (rather than LEs of previously-published books), so he may have been around for those.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Not to keep derailing the CP thread here, but did want to make clear that I wasn't suggesting that there were any censorship or anything like that going on over on the FB Suntup page (and, didn't know that you were a "mod" - or whatever they call it on FB - until now), nor do I believe there is any "manufactured" inflation going on- at least not consciously. There is a.. steely uniformity that is a bit unnerving, however, and I guess I'll leave it at that. And, I should also make clear that I certainly wasn't throwing you or many other pure, Die Hard Suntup fans in with any of my criticisms. In fact- it's the reverse: folks like you who obviously love, collect- and even READ- every release are what every small press needs, and my point is if there were more of you- there would be more books available for real book lovers- not speculators, who are the ones who seem to be driving these insane prices, primarily with Suntup books. But, I have to say, a lot of the commenters over there really rub my book collecting senses the wrong way. Yep, I understand not everyone need be like me.

Hey, are these criticisms merely sour grapes for being SOL on SOTL? Probably. But- I'm sour on how I was shut out: I refused to play the game and buy the previous book that I didn't want, and everyone knew that was the only way you were going to get a copy. Lots of people are playing that game- which allows the game to continue, unchecked. I guess a lot of folks are excited and happy to keep playing that game.
                    I hear you and sympathize with all of your points to one degree or another. It has bothered me to see people hold a place in line who only want to profit from that place. I think they'll get sorted out and drop off over time. I also hate seeing true fans miss out. The balance that works best? When book fans hold their place in line to get the books they want and sell at cost the books they don't want to fans of those works. The trouble is trying to place judgments on the motives of every single seller. For example, I hold a number and haven't seen a Suntup book I don't want to keep forever. But my financial situation has changed and I'll probably have to sell to buy future editions or cash in my chips and sell my rights. If I sell to buy future editions and make money on the sale am I now a flipper? I really don't feel comfortable judging others this way.

I've thought about this a lot and there are pros and cons. But I think this is a fair system that favors current customers. It's fair in part because it's been consistent from day one. And Paul has increased print runs and imposed order limits and promised to produce more Artist Editions to meet the growing demand. I understand your feeling that you shouldn't have to buy Seed or the Heinlein set if you don't like those books in order to buy Silence of the Lambs. But if Paul opened up the releases for preorder to everyone at the same time, there would be people who still miss out and begrudge the scalpers with the faster internet connections. Those flippers will always be there. They follow the demand. And there are always ways to get the book. The lottery drawings will allow you to get it at cost and in the Fans group there are sometimes people who sell with small mark-ups.

I really am sorry you missed out on SOTL. All I can say is that the guesses were spot on and in that instance people had a lot of warning. March is going to be another huge release. And I don't doubt there will be a lot of folks pissed about being shouldered out of that one and seeing that edition become instantly out of reach on the secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Doesn’t really ring a bell with me. Odd that someone with those extreme of views against the core interest of this forum would even bother participating, unless trolling was his goal, but it doesn’t sound like that was the case in this instance.
                      I think he was trying to save us LOL!!

Comment

Latest update on Dune is that preorders will go up in April. Dune Messiah tentatively scheduled for December.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                          Latest update on Dune is that preorders will go up in April. Dune Messiah tentatively scheduled for December.
                          Ah, so that’s when I’m officially going broke...

Comment

I just couldn't commit to the full run of the DUNE series as required, so had to pass on the signed/numbered edition. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up one of the unsigned volumes.

WEIRD FICTION REVIEW should be coming out in the late Feb. / early March...I think folks will particularly dig my "Collecting the Modern Macabre" feature this time around, as it spotlights one of the most popular and influential pieces in our genre in the most definitive exploration ever (as far as I'm aware), with lots of interviews with familiar names. Those who want a copy may not want to wait too long after initial offering to order, as I suspect this feature may entice rabid fans of this popular piece (and who were previously unfamiliar with WFR) to place an order...I honestly don't see the availability of this issue lasting as long as some other earlier issues have. Then again, who knows...just consider this a friendly heads-up. I'm looking forward to the issue releasing in a couple/few weeks so I can officially announce the subject of my feature.

Insider peek: I finished the first draft just a day or two ago of the next "Collecting the Modern Macabre." Man, but this new one is a long piece, three times as long as the one about to appear (which already felt exhaustive).
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Wow, Ron- I'm very intrigued! I "won" bragging rights on twitter when I successfully deduced your inaugural column on Dark Harvest, but, on this one, frankly- I'm stumped! Can't wait. You really do a wonderful job on these, and I really appreciate the work that goes into them.

Comment

I've always considered Dune a stand alone. I read the original series but found the sequels disappointing. I never pursued the subsequent books. However, I reread Dune every couple of years. It is a book that I found or found me, just when I needed it. Fear is the mind-Killer...... So I'm also passing on a signed copy.

Comment

Working...
                                X