Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Yes, I saw that too I wasn't surprised, as I remembered he has a PhD in Astrophysics.
    I knew about his degrees in Mathematics and Physics. I had never heard of his interest in Stereographic images and his efforts Stereographic photos of the solar system. Been some interesting reading today.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

Could that have been someone else? A majority of Blish's writing was done prior to his Star Trek titles and he passed away only a few years after the first Trek novel came out.
      "Blish credited his financial stability later in life to the Star Trek commission, and the advance he received for Spock Must Die!.[12]:21"

Comment

I picked up the Blish book. Actually just received it the other day. It's not normally what I'd pick up, but I was intrigued by the description. As always, the Centipede edition is very nice.

Comment

In today's newsletter, Jerad is asking for numbers of those of us who own Ender's Game for the next books in the series. Ender's Game was my first Centipede book, and I'm excited to have the next two on my shelf.

Also asked to get in on the Live Girls list since that book sounds really interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
            In today's newsletter, Jerad is asking for numbers of those of us who own Ender's Game for the next books in the series. Ender's Game was my first Centipede book, and I'm excited to have the next two on my shelf.

Also asked to get in on the Live Girls list since that book sounds really interesting to me.
            I'm sure they'll be beautiful volumes.

I'm skipping both only because I don't have the ENDER'S GAME in the Centipede edition (I have the signed Easton Press HC) and I already have the signed/limited HC of LIVE GIRLS from Cemetery Dance.

I keep waking up in a panic on Sunday morning, though, because I'm afraid to miss the forthcoming announcement of the Philip K. Dick set...that one I definitely want.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just wondering about centipedes newsletter. I can't seem to find where to sign up for it. Am I just missing it or doing need to purchase a book from them first

Comment

I have the limited and lettered editions of Live Girls from CD, so I figure I'll keep my set complete and get this one.

Just wondering about centipedes newsletter. I can't seem to find where to sign up for it. Am I just missing it or doing need to purchase a book from them first
                Email Jerad to ask to be added to the distribution list.

Comment

Great thanks for that. I hate missing out on books.

Comment

That brings up a good point...

Anyone else worried about a collapse in the LE press industry similar to what happened around 2008? The same pattern is repeating - certain publishers selling out before a public offering, secondary market prices becoming stratospheric, more and more people buying just to flip - and I can't help but wonder when/if the hammer will fall again.

Comment

While I wasn't collecting LE's that much, only what I found at my local independent bookstore, in 2008 I do know one thing. It is so annoying to miss out on a book only to see it on the secondary market before publication for sometimes ridiculous prices.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                        That brings up a good point...

Anyone else worried about a collapse in the LE press industry similar to what happened around 2008? The same pattern is repeating - certain publishers selling out before a public offering, secondary market prices becoming stratospheric, more and more people buying just to flip - and I can't help but wonder when/if the hammer will fall again.
                        I do believe it will happen...once speculators get into a hot market (which is clearly what has happened to the limited market) where releases from key publishers can double overnight, that undermines the fundamental stability of the market itself, when perceived value and demand is not real value and demand. Once a bubble forms it can't stay inflated forever, it's only a matter of time and a particular set of circumstances. As you say, it's happened before with some similarities to the present, and the market collapsed. That's true of any collectible market, be it books, Beanie Babies, Hummels, or baseball cards...once the product becomes saturated or the desirability of the market ebbs or the base of those with moderate means is forced out or tastes change, it's a progressive decline to the bottom, with sometime a return (as with horror limiteds, to some degree) and not (any of the others I mentioned). A market exists only when there is demand; without demand, there is no market, no value. Add in, too, that social media and its successive younger generations has elevated indie press tpb releases to a level not seen before, and the desirability/value of the deluxe HCs we all love face even more obstacles for longevity.

That said and to your question, I'm not "worried", per se, as I only buy those books I truly want for my own reading enjoyment and collecting satisfaction. But, of course, I do hope they retain the value that they've achieved, when that days comes that I do want to sell some or all...but if not, well, I got my money's worth of collecting pleasure and in the end that's what is truly important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I do believe it will happen...once speculators get into a hot market (which is clearly what has happened to the limited market) where releases from key publishers can double overnight, that undermines the fundamental stability of the market itself, when perceived value and demand is not real value and demand. Once a bubble forms it can't stay inflated forever, it's only a matter of time and a particular set of circumstances. As you say, it's happened before with some similarities to the present, and the market collapsed. That's true of any collectible market, be it books, Beanie Babies, Hummels, or baseball cards...once the product becomes saturated or the desirability of the market ebbs or the base of those with moderate means is forced out or tastes change, it's a progressive decline to the bottom, with sometime a return (as with horror limiteds, to some degree) and not (any of the others I mentioned). A market exists only when there is demand; without demand, there is no market, no value. Add in, too, that social media and its successive younger generations has elevated indie press tpb releases to a level not seen before, and the desirability/value of the deluxe HCs we all love face even more obstacles for longevity.

That said and to your question, I'm not "worried", per se, as I only buy those books I truly want for my own reading enjoyment and collecting satisfaction. But, of course, I do hope they retain the value that they've achieved, when that days comes that I do want to sell some or all...but if not, well, I got my money's worth of collecting pleasure and in the end that's what is truly important to me.
                          Ooooh boy, it's a good thing you're not on Facebook, Ron, over in the (Cult of) Suntup Collectors group spewing such Heresy! Lightly suggesting that all these new folks who are swarming in and overpaying by 3 X's what they should for books they clearly have no interest in, but must in order to - STAY ON THE TRAIN AT ALL COSTS!!!- lest they be cast aside, and, gasp: miss out!

I (and others) have tried to suggest that this irrational, panic overpaying is not good book collecting, not good for the market, and is not good for the rest of us book collectors either. I think slayn666 is absolutely right, and your comments here illustrate how and why. They've essentially killed Suntup collecting for rational collectors, and, now, I'm seeing some of these same new people start to inquire 'just how does one start to overpay and monopolize Subterranean Press books....?' I know it's hard to believe in this "hot" market that these books will never lose value, but- they will- when you're grossly overpaying.

Comment

Well put, Ron S., and you’re right, I don’t think my perspective is really in line with the more ardent Suntup buyers, which is why that’s a train I’ve deliberately avoided, save for a few AEs here and there, and those only for my own modest pleasure.

Comment

I ordered my copy of Live Girls. Unfortunately I won't be able to match it with my CD copy as the CP limitation is 300 and my CD copy is 306. Ah well, I'm still looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Ooooh boy, it's a good thing you're not on Facebook, Ron, over in the (Cult of) Suntup Collectors group spewing such Heresy! Lightly suggesting that all these new folks who are swarming in and overpaying by 3 X's what they should for books they clearly have no interest in, but must in order to - STAY ON THE TRAIN AT ALL COSTS!!!- lest they be cast aside, and, gasp: miss out!

I (and others) have tried to suggest that this irrational, panic overpaying is not good book collecting, not good for the market, and is not good for the rest of us book collectors either. I think slayn666 is absolutely right, and your comments here illustrate how and why. They've essentially killed Suntup collecting for rational collectors, and, now, I'm seeing some of these same new people start to inquire 'just how does one start to overpay and monopolize Subterranean Press books....?' I know it's hard to believe in this "hot" market that these books will never lose value, but- they will- when you're grossly overpaying.
                                You can say whatever you want in the Fans of Suntup group. The issues we've come across have to do with people being harassed for being perceived as selling too soon or paying too much or basically picking apart people for their personal decisions. Opinions are wanted and welcome but harassment isn't.

Is the Suntup market inflated and creating a bubble? I don't know. I do know that I've been stunned mute to see The Haunting of Hill House go for $1500 and Red Dragon get $1300 and Silence of the Lambs fetch $2300! Those prices are crazy. But the people who pay them are fine with it. And if there weren't people willing to pay that then the market would be flat or down. No one is tampering with the market or artificially inflating it. There's just a fast-growing number of people who want the books. As suddenly as they've arrived they might leave if their hearts aren't with the books.

No one is forcing anyone on a train. No one is forcing anyone to stay on a train. No one is forcing anyone to sell at insanely high prices. There are a number of Suntup books that are already selling at or below the published price. I imagine more will follow. People will always want those monumental titles though. And the limited print runs will always be a hurdle. People do complain about the rights system but I'd rather buy from a publisher who rewards existing customers than one who treats you like a stranger every release.

You mention the irrational buyers are killing the market for the rational collector. There's tremendous excitement around Suntup right now and that might not sustain for the long term. And it seems you want everyone to calm down and not pay so much to be fair to everyone. But the very nature of limited editions is unfair. The demand is often far greater than the supply. Not everyone can get these books. And I'd say if this is all hype that Suntup doesn't deserve and can't rise to meet, then this bubble would have popped long ago. People would see that the books weren't worth the sacrifice. The train would be derailed two stops after everyone got on board.

There are a tremendous number of books I've missed out on including the numbered edition of Misery. It's just the nature of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X