No announcement yet.

Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passing. Love this book and Love Ray Bradbury but not for this price.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

This would be the one edition to rule them all, I'm sure. I regretted passing on this one more than I regretted passing on Hill House. I'm actually really finding myself anxious for Live Girls.
      I have the CD edition of Live Girls so I expect to pass on the Centipede edition. I have no print edition of Something Wicked so adding that one was an easy decision for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
        I own the 1962 Simon and Schuster 1st edition, the 1963 Rupert Hart-Davis edition, the Gauntlet edition, the PS edition, the Folio edition, so do I really need the Centipede Press edition...You're damn right I do LOL!! Like Ron, this is a record for me, I have laid out $500 for a book and yes, it was also a Bradbury title, The Arkham edition of Dark Carnival.
        $500 was my old record as well, for a signed 1st HC of a Charles Beaumont 1st HC collection, which even at the time I knew it was a real steal. Unlike some, I could never do four figures… maybe someday for the signed/numbered ed. of Stephen King’s THE STAND, in its coffin traycase, which typically retails for about $2500. But even that very desirable item would be a stretch of fiscal sensibility (read: I’m typically kinda conservative/cheap) that I just don’t know I could make.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

$500 was my old record as well, for a signed 1st HC of a Charles Beaumont 1st HC collection, which even at the time I knew it was a real steal. Unlike some, I could never do four figures… maybe someday for the signed/numbered ed. of Stephen King’s THE STAND, in its coffin traycase, which typically retails for about $2500. But even that very desirable item would be a stretch of fiscal sensibility (read: I’m typically kinda conservative/cheap) that I just don’t know I could make.
          For several years I observed a self imposed limit of $300 for any book. I broke that the first for Suntups Misery Limited. The most I have spent now is $675 for Horns. The $300 limit caused me to pass on several books I now regret passing on. I no longer have a pre-set limit and judge each book on some random thought process.

Comment

As it was on the pricey side to begin with, bump in pricing from anticipated to actual gave me pause. But ultimately the Zimakov engravings won me over here. This is the first book I've bought from Centipede - though there are a few out of print titles I'd like to add to my library. Will be interesting to see what their 'Dune' brings to the table - I actually quite liked what FS did with 'Dune' and only wish they'd been able to add even more Sam Weber illustrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I no longer have a pre-set limit and judge each book on some random thought process.
              You clearly have reached a higher state of collector consciousness, my son. May randomness serve you well and bring you peace and shelves that hum with a harmonious balance of quality and quantity.

Comment

You clearly have reached a higher state of collector consciousness, my son. May randomness serve you well and bring you peace and shelves that hum with a harmonious balance of quality and quantity.
                I am buying fewer books overall as a result though.

Comment

Anybody snag a copy of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES?
                  I did. I went for this over the latest Suntup book, which didn't interest me enough to purchase. I'm also going to buy Dune, and that's all I have on my want list at the moment.

Comment

I bought the signed limited THE STAND decades ago for $600. That is still my record for any book.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

I did. I went for this over the latest Suntup book, which didn't interest me enough to purchase. I'm also going to buy Dune, and that's all I have on my want list at the moment.
                      Dune will be an easy pass for me. Tried to read it in high school and found I did not like it. Also watched the movie at some point and that reinforced my views.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic View Post

I bought the signed limited THE STAND decades ago for $600. That is still my record for any book.
                        That is a worthy investment!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Dune will be an easy pass for me. Tried to read it in high school and found I did not like it. Also watched the movie at some point and that reinforced my views.
                          This is where you messed up, the movie is just...impenetrable if you haven't read the book. Even if you have, it's a still a shitty movie.

Comment

I don’t want to speak for Jared, but based on my conversations with him last week, those interested in buying DUNE should be aware that it requires a commitment of buying the entire DUNE series (unless it doesn’t sell out in the advance pre-order, which I think is highly unlikely), which Centipede will be publishing at $500+ per volume. Not sure if everybody was aware of that or not...I wasn’t, so had to decline my spot on the advance notification list for DUNE.
                            Last edited by RonClinton; 09-23-2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

For further clarification, it's a commitment to buy the six books written by Frank Herbert and none of the dreck his son has excreted into the world.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                                For further clarification, it's a commitment to buy the six books written by Frank Herbert and none of the dreck his son has excreted into the world.
                                Yes, correct, I should’ve clarified that. So expect an investment requirement (though obviously not all at once, but rather as the books appear) of at least $3000, possibly $3600, for the six books. For me, I just didn’t have the interest or budget to commit, unfortunately, though I anticipate they’ll be strikingly lovely books, as always.

Comment

Working...
                                X