Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

It’s a fantastic set. But a bad video.
    I’m sure it’s a fun video like all your unboxing ones are. Normally I’d dive in head first with the video but the praise this set has garnered has held me back.

Also in today’s newsletter Jerad mentions they were working on the set for five years. It’s amazing how much time and effort goes in to these editions. And most of the time, the public is none the wiser.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Sheer Luck LOL!!
      It might have been sheer luck, buts it’s really cool it happened that way!

Comment

It's very odd - but this is the email that I got this morning - why a week later than some??

I saw on CP's home page that they have the cover art up for the next Ender novels. Really excited to get those. Ender's Game was my first Centipede Book so it'll be fun to continue that series.

Originally posted by Splync View Post
        Screenshots attached!

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          It's very odd - but this is the email that I got this morning - why a week later than some??

I saw on CP's home page that they have the cover art up for the next Ender novels. Really excited to get those. Ender's Game was my first Centipede Book so it'll be fun to continue that series.

The email last weekend was sent in error. He added more sections to this week's email.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

It might have been sheer luck, buts it’s really cool it happened that way!
            It Made my day for sure. Just a few more pictures because I forgot I also have the Millipede Paperback!
            Attached Files

Comment

Somewhat unexpectedly, The Hjortsberg set showed up today- sans any kind of USPS Informed Delivery data ever appearing. Weird. In any case, glad to have it, and holy cow- what a beautiful set of books! There's just so much to enjoy here, so many bells and whistles and next-level production touches. You can actually tell that Jerad has been working on this for years. Wonderful set of books. Glad there's a bunch out there, and hope all who want a set can acquire one without the usual wildly inflated after market prices typical of Centipede nowadays (I haven't looked anywhere, so don't know what's happening price-wise).

Comment

I also got my Hjortsberg set and I can see what all the fuss is about. This is probably one of the nicest sets I’ve seen come out in a while. Jerad always does a great job, but this is just stellar. And frankly, for the price, an absolute steal. Wow. Just beautiful. I also really dig the signatures on ANGEL’S INFERNO; not typically my thing but this time it worked.

I can see why this set is already going for double the issue price on eBay.

Comment

Just a heads up, someone is selling their set on FB
                  Harold Sands

Conversation Starter · 1d
                  I gonna sell my Falling Angel and Angels inferno.
                  Unopened.
                  Will sit on it unless someone wows me with a price I like.
                  Also will use priority. Not media.and exact box Centipede sent it in. Took it out and looks mint. Did not take the wraping off.
                  600.00 I pay priority shipping. Ok if you need it
                  Flash sale.
                  450.00 ENDS 8PM CT AUG 14.

Pm.me
                  You might have to do a friend request first.

Comment

I think that $750 price point referenced earlier in thread is going to be an outlier for this set. There's half a dozen or so on eBay with most around the $400-500 mark. The ones that have sold are in the $350-450 range. Right now the market is flush for too many copies at the $450 price point to spend more just because. That being said, the fact that this is going for DOUBLE the price so soon after being released is amazing. As the market settles down, I think that we'll see collectors begin to hold on to their copies and prices might increase more.

There is one seller with a set listed for $1299 that has bookplates signed by William Hjortsberg affixed to the back endpapers. Nothing is noted on in the description if this came from Centipede Press this way or was added aftermarket. I have heard nothing about a variant Centipede Press with Hjortsberg's signature, though I believe that Centipede did do a variant of A MOUNTAIN WALKED that included Neil Gaiman's signature.

Comment

It Made my day for sure. Just a few more pictures because I forgot I also have the Millipede Paperback!
                      I'm also jealous of that ENDER'S GAME you got on the shelf. Man, that's one of the ones that I wish I hadn't missed out on.

Now it's time for "Sock Monkey's Biggest Centipede Press Regrets", in no particular order:
                      1. Ender's Game
                      2. Fritz Leiber Masters of the Weird Tale
                      3. A Mountain Walked
                      4. The Girl in the Swing
                      5. The Drowning Girl
                      6. All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
                      7. The Collector

All of those are books that I had the opportunity to pick up--maybe not The Girl In The Swing, that might have never made it to the public--but I passed on due to budget or some other dumb reason (money's not important! We don't need food or clothes, or other such nonsense!) BUT I did get to take what would have been the eighth title off the list and it should be delivered on Saturday!

Comment

I wish I could have gotten the Karl Edward Wagner MWT. I'll trade you Ender's Game if you have it Sock LOL!!

Comment

I wish I could have gotten the Karl Edward Wagner MWT. I'll trade you Ender's Game if you have it Sock LOL!!
                          Unfortunately, I don't have that book to even ponder a trade. That one is one that I wish I could have gotten, too. It was high on my "To Get" list but I've settled with the two volume trade hardcovers that Centipede put out. Even those are going for a pretty penny these days. Not Masters of the Weird Tale level, but $200+ for the set. My list above limited only to titles that I knew about when available for purchase or I would have included a lot more Masters of the Weird Tale volumes.

Comment

Looking for some thoughts: Found a copy of the Centipede version of THE GIRL IN A SWING, but asking price is $750. The book was issued at $195, but as we all know Centipede Press books tend to skyrocket on the aftermarket. This is definitely at the top of my price range. If it was in the $500 range I'd bite, but I'm a little hesitant. What's everyone's take? Too expensive? Reasonable for the edition?

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              Looking for some thoughts: Found a copy of the Centipede version of THE GIRL IN A SWING, but asking price is $750. The book was issued at $195, but as we all know Centipede Press books tend to skyrocket on the aftermarket. This is definitely at the top of my price range. If it was in the $500 range I'd bite, but I'm a little hesitant. What's everyone's take? Too expensive? Reasonable for the edition?
                              I'll be honest, I've waited years for certain titles, sometimes it paid off other times it hasn't. I have rarely looked back and said, I paid too much for that book. I have however, often said, dang, I missed that one. If it's a book you really want, a book that is very special to you, spend the extra 250.00 and pass on something else, cut back your spending in another area. Or be patient, and wait for one to hit your price point. Little help I know, but we've all been there LOl!!

Comment

I'll be honest, I've waited years for certain titles, sometimes it paid off other times it hasn't. I have rarely looked back and said, I paid too much for that book. I have however, often said, dang, I missed that one. If it's a book you really want, a book that is very special to you, spend the extra 250.00 and pass on something else, cut back your spending in another area. Or be patient, and wait for one to hit your price point. Little help I know, but we've all been there LOl!!
                                Thanks for the insight. It is helpful. I agree that I’ve never regretted the money I’ve spent on a book I love. I’m gonna mull it over a bit. I don’t want to be too impulsive.

Comment

Working...
                                X